Round 19 - Connacht v Ulster - Sat 11th April 2.40pm

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Round 19 - Connacht v Ulster - Sat 11th April 2.40pm

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Once again you have as many questions as answers about the performance:

Very good finshing from the opportunities, not a whole lot left out there. :cheers:
Yeah,but what about the scrum? Pushed off our own ball by Connacht? :duh:

The lineout was secure in a big wind :cheers:
Yeah but Connacht savaged it once set, more than once :banghead:

The defence was well organised :thumleft:
What about falling off tackles ..........and who it was commited the worst of them. :roll:

Overall you can't gurn about 5 tries in an important game :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Aye true enough, how come we only won by 7 & were crapping oursleves at the end? :banghead:

Ah well, good win nevertheless, take it and move on. Lets hope Mexico are brilliant in France. :thumleft:
I'll stick my neck out and say that neither Roger nor Chris will be bounced off like that again this season.
The scrum is a bit of a funny one. I don't think our previously solid scrum has gone bad over night so I expect that situation to be addressed and corrected.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:I agree Spiffy. This team will be better in two weeks time. Getting a full match together is important and a week off to work a plan for Leinster and Munster is another plus. I like our chances of a home semi and we are a point ahead of my prediction.
Leinster's the big one. A decent win could leave us at least 10 points clear with Leinster unable to match our games won tally (those 3 draws could bite them in a tight finish).

It would be a tremendous position to kick on for the last 2 games.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Anybody reckon Hendo will be cited for taking out Nigel off the ball/striking with the elbow?
Please forgive my overly nervous nature when I say...

Don't even joke about it! :duck: :whistle:

Anyway, cracker of a game, looks like we might have picked the right time of year to play rugby.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Don't think I've seen it mentioned on this thread - but thought Cave played very well at 12 today, both in attack and defence. Probably as well as any other 12 for Ulster this season. He really is a consistent performer who hardly ever has a bad one. (And to be fair, Windy Payne did OK at 13 too).
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Mr Nigel Owens normally blows for the attacking team at the breakdown. First half we, Ulster were always the attacking team and he did not give us the benefit of the doubt once!! We played 16 men today and still won. Henderson was my MOTM, extra special kudos for the accidental hit on Owens! Oops, have I been honest again instead of being PC; oh, my!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I see Gilroy is now top try scorer in the Pro12 with 10. >appl

Rhys Webb is on 9.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I agree Spiffy. This team will be better in two weeks time. Getting a full match together is important and a week off to work a plan for Leinster and Munster is another plus. I like our chances of a home semi and we are a point ahead of my prediction.
Leinster's the big one. A decent win could leave us at least 10 points clear with Leinster unable to match our games won tally (those 3 draws could bite them in a tight finish).

It would be a tremendous position to kick on for the last 2 games.
Baggy called Leinster as coming short a fair while ago. They have a packed programme and as we saw, it's hard to compete on two fronts at the end of a season. Rest weeks are invaluable, last week wasn't a pile of use to us, but next week will be. Forget who the opposition are, we have two home games and really, with a virtually full squad, we shouldn't be thinking of anything other than winning both. That gives us 71 points and that will be a big ask for anyone to overtake for the second home semi.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Setanta wrote:Mr Nigel Owens normally blows for the attacking team at the breakdown. First half we, Ulster were always the attacking team and he did not give us the benefit of the doubt once!! We played 16 men today and still won. Henderson was my MOTM, extra special kudos for the accidental hit on Owens! Oops, have I been honest again instead of being PC; oh, my!
Connacht had more ball than us in the first half. :scratch: :scratch:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Setanta wrote:Mr Nigel Owens normally blows for the attacking team at the breakdown. First half we, Ulster were always the attacking team and he did not give us the benefit of the doubt once!! We played 16 men today and still won. Henderson was my MOTM, extra special kudos for the accidental hit on Owens! Oops, have I been honest again instead of being PC; oh, my!
Connacht had more ball than us in the first half. :scratch: :scratch:
There wasn't much doubt either. Couple of clear jackals from connacht where we didn't clear out effectively.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Bullshite!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Setanta wrote:Bullshite!!
What, you think we had more ball in the first half? I'd say Connacht had 60% ball in the first half.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Setanta wrote:Bullshite!!
What, you think we had more ball in the first half? I'd say Connacht had 60% ball in the first half.
ESPN gives it as 63pc possession first half, 54pc second half.
Marco
Novice

Post by Marco »

I couldn't be arsed working it out, so could someone maybe do me a favour and tell me if we beat both Munster and Leinter (8 points), can we be caught for second place?
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Marco wrote:I couldn't be arsed working it out, so could someone maybe do me a favour and tell me if we beat both Munster and Leinter (8 points), can we be caught for second place?
Munster wouldn't be able to. Ospreys would need 10 points off of visiting Cardiff and Connacht and hosting Glasgow... which I wouldn't put past them.

edit: Merv's right about Munster, forgot they still hadn't played. Come on Embra.
Last edited by Nightsoil on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Marco wrote:I couldn't be arsed working it out, so could someone maybe do me a favour and tell me if we beat both Munster and Leinter (8 points), can we be caught for second place?
We'd have 71 and Ospreys could definitely overtake us. They currently have 61 with 15pts to play for.

Munster could also overtake us. They're on 58 with 4 games left so even if we beat them, they could still get more than 71pts
Big Neville Southall