Time to look ahead

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Time to look ahead

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Minor things Baldy, like Connacht not mattering to us, They are actually our best hope of a Top2 finish with both Weegies & Ospreys in Galway . They have a potential 5 points in Zebre too & will be fighting all the way. I fancy them to win at least one of the home games given the fight them gave us & having beaten Mustard & Linseed in alway this season.

Like Weegies playing Swansea in Cardiff :shock: , immetesticle though that was.

I also like our chances in Scotstoun, goes against the grain here but I regard it as far from undoable. See the great "myth" fight with "our mutual friend".

Nothing major Baldy, just thought I should allow you to review your post, not wanting to be a picky gobshite. >EW

Twas my first day back in work, I'll blame it on that.

Though where did I have Glasgow playing Swansea in Cardiff? I had Ospreys winning away to Cardiff . . . or am I having a brain-fart lasting 5/6 hours here, like beagle when he gets lost after getting let off the lead in the forest . . .

I'd like to see Connacht win, but if I had to come down on one side of the fence for either game I'd go for Ospreys or Glasgow. I'd see Connacht beating Ospreys before weegies, though. (That presumably means Connacht will tank Glasgow and get humped by Ospreys . . .)
It's the hope that kills you.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Minor things Baldy, like Connacht not mattering to us, They are actually our best hope of a Top2 finish with both Weegies & Ospreys in Galway . They have a potential 5 points in Zebre too & will be fighting all the way. I fancy them to win at least one of the home games given the fight them gave us & having beaten Mustard & Linseed in alway this season.

Like Weegies playing Swansea in Cardiff :shock: , immetesticle though that was.

I also like our chances in Scotstoun, goes against the grain here but I regard it as far from undoable. See the great "myth" fight with "our mutual friend".

Nothing major Baldy, just thought I should allow you to review your post, not wanting to be a picky gobshite. >EW

Twas my first day back in work, I'll blame it on that.

Though where did I have Glasgow playing Swansea in Cardiff? I had Ospreys winning away to Cardiff . . . or am I having a brain-fart lasting 5/6 hours here, like beagle when he gets lost after getting let off the lead in the forest . . .

I'd like to see Connacht win, but if I had to come down on one side of the fence for either game I'd go for Ospreys or Glasgow. I'd see Connacht beating Ospreys before weegies, though. (That presumably means Connacht will tank Glasgow and get humped by Ospreys . . .)
Long term brain fart Baldy I'm afraid:
A lot hinges on the Ospreys-Glasgow match. If Glasgow beat them in Cardiff, they've got top 2 secured a week ahead of schedule (although I'm not confident that makes Glasgow any easier to visit).
Get well soon ould haun'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Can't see us doing any better than 4th

We're dung
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Jesus feck, I'm broken
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Jesus feck, I'm broken
Never worry Baldy, sure happy birthday anyway. :party: :party: :party: :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Concussion test and RTP protocols for Bald Rory I believe ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Is that a bacon sandwich Fleg?
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

BaggyTrousers wrote:
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:Jesus feck, I'm broken
Never worry Baldy, sure happy birthday anyway. :party: :party: :party: :thumleft:
Cheers Baggy :thumleft: didn't realise that came up on here
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Yes ... Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato for dyslexics ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Baggy is omniscient ... which means he knows the size of your clown shoes the split second you hit the return button!
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Well after a great show on Friday we are assured of finishing in the top 4. But will we get a home semi?

Glasgow are sitting pretty and need one more win to guarantee a home slot. It would be good if they get that win next week against the Tospreys but I cant se it. So they'll play us probably needing a win to secure that home semi.

Munster are nearly guaranteed a 5 pointer against Dragons on the last day. A LBP against us next week won't be enough for them as that would mean they finish on 74pts (Dragons accepted) which will be one less then the welsh boys.

Ospreys I think will beat Glasgow next week and take 5 points from Galway giving them 75pts and a tie with Glasgow at the top.

That leaves us and I think we will get 4 pts next week. Then depending on how the Ospreys/Glasgow game goes we will have to win in Glasgow on the last day or end up going back a week later for the semi. I think the latter will be the case.

1. Glasgow 75 pts (16 wins)
2. Ospreys 75 (16) - not sure who ends up in first if points and wins are tied. If pts difference then it may be Ospreys as they'll tank Connacht on the last day if they have to, and we'll be going to Swansea for the semi.
3. Munster 74 (15)
4. Ulster 72 (15)
LTHG
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Nope

Glasgow will beat Ospreys and we will beat Glasgow reserves.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

lovesthehardground wrote:Well after a great show on Friday we are assured of finishing in the top 4. But will we get a home semi?

Glasgow are sitting pretty and need one more win to guarantee a home slot. It would be good if they get that win next week against the Tospreys but I cant se it. So they'll play us probably needing a win to secure that home semi.

Munster are nearly guaranteed a 5 pointer against Dragons on the last day. A LBP against us next week won't be enough for them as that would mean they finish on 74pts (Dragons accepted) which will be one less then the welsh boys.

Ospreys I think will beat Glasgow next week and take 5 points from Galway giving them 75pts and a tie with Glasgow at the top.

That leaves us and I think we will get 4 pts next week. Then depending on how the Ospreys/Glasgow game goes we will have to win in Glasgow on the last day or end up going back a week later for the semi. I think the latter will be the case.

1. Glasgow 75 pts (16 wins)
2. Ospreys 75 (16) - not sure who ends up in first if points and wins are tied. If pts difference then it may be Ospreys as they'll tank Connacht on the last day if they have to, and we'll be going to Swansea for the semi.
3. Munster 74 (15)
4. Ulster 72 (15)
LTHG

Speculation is ,of course, just that. However, I think we are more likely to be Limerick bound for the Semi.
We can, and should sneak a win against Munster (but they will take a LBP). Glasgow will maintain their winning ways and put Ospreys to the sword (no LBP but that is irrelevant). I doubt that we will do Glasgow on the last day, whereas both Munster and Ospreys will win (with or without TBPs - again irrelevant at that stage). This, by my ever shaky maths would result in Glasgow finishing on 78, Munster on 73/4 in second, Ulster on 72 in third and the Ospreys on 70/71 in fourth.

But who know? There could be a an upset or two to come yet! Of course we could just win our final two games handsomely and not have to travel at all! :fleg: As I say speculation is just that!
Hope is not a strategy.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

As long as well avoid going to Swansea. Makes Limerick seem like Barcelona
Exterminate all rational thought
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Time is short, time to pin the colours to the mast, so breaking the habit of lifetime, I am going to predict.

First a history lesson:

Of the 4 sides remaining, three have won the league, Glasgow the exception. Ospreys have won 4 titles, Munster 3 titles & Ulster one. Is there any significance?

I believe so others will disagree, I suspect both Weegies & Ulster are under more pressure for slightly different reasons, Glasgow have never own anything outside of Scotland, Ulster given the gap since the last tropy & the opportunities not taken.

I believe that if I were a Munster fan, I would be the most content at present, they are unlikely to win at Ulster but even if they take nothing at Ravenhill/Spanners they have a pretty safe 5 points in the last game leaving them more or less assured of a home semi, barring the one eventuality I expect to happen.

Ospreys despite sitting in fourth will be confident of 2 wins, for all the love towards Weegies here, away from home they have beaten the bottom 6 but managed only that 34-34 draw in Dublin when blowing a 27 point lead. I don't see them winning in Swansea. Ospreys have drawn one at home against Mexico and won the rest, most so conclusively that only Scaaaalets have taken a losing bonus point. Their half back give them a huge advantage over most, they will beat Glasgow, no question about it and then they go to Galway where they could have a fight but I expect them to win.

Glasgow, sitting pretty but they have two fixtures they cannot be feeling comfortable with. Ospreys are unbeaten at home and Glasgow haven't beaten a top 6 side away. Ulster at home, well more of that shortly.

Ulster have two games as tough as Glasgow have. Munster at full strength isn't something we have seen very often over the years but I expect an Ulster win, I actually believe it could be a sizeable win to complete the Irish sweep.

Now then, Weegies away. Everyone here seems to think that is a bridge too far, so here is why I think we will prevail. I believe momentum is everything in sport and Ulster will have it after three derby wins back to back. I believe the way the season has been restructured has helped us tremendously, we have got the lame & infirm back to where we are more or less at full strength and at full strength I believe that the ranking of the 4 teams is 1) Ulster 2) Ospreys 3) Munster 4) Weegies.

Weegies have been the consistent team all season and have a squad with something like 36 Scottish internationals. They have had no dumb results and have thrashed the bottom, home & away and whilst I am working from an admittedly dodgy memory but I believe that they have been least handicapped by injury over the season. I contend that they are consistent rather than potentially brilliant. They also have the pressure of never having won anything and coming off what I expect to be a defeat.

Ulster will go their barring injury with a team that we would have liked to field more often but which will have produced three big wins on the bounce. Momentum, it will be a tough game but I believe that will be decisive.

So for me, it's Ulster & Ospreys at home, just not sure whom will be top. Ulster v Ospreys final.

I now await cries of "Fantasist" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: