Ulster sides in UBL

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dan Dare
Squire

Re: Ulster sides in UBL

Post by Dan Dare »

RuPi wrote:
ruckover wrote:
Dan Dare wrote:Malone relegated. Not good !
Not relegated yet. If they finish 9th in 1B do they not go into a play-off against the runners-up of 2A?
According to their website they are relegated

http://www.malone-rfc.com/s/match-centr ... 1-1027437/
Fair play to Stephen Barbour, that's a great article. Big swipe at Ulster Rugby though ! We really do need to look at grass roots rugby in the province.

I love watching all club rugby and it is a crying shame that Malone are now down to the third tier of Irish club rugby. They are a top club with great support. The boy makes a very valid point about the release of players from Ulster. Pity that Paul Jackson, Bronson Ross, Alan O'Connor, Conor Joyce and others could not save them. These are tough games.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Very interesting article and highlights some of the issues facing club rugby, Now this is not a dig at the CEO, but he has openly stated that he wishes to increase the playing numbers by some 40%, he has also openly said that there is now more games being played than ever before, however there has been more games cancelled this year than ever before, something does not add up, maybe his lack of understanding of the local game is a factor,

For the past 2 years DCAL have funded development officers throughout Ulster, that has abruptly come to an end, no forward thinking for the "what if" so now UR announce they have a third of £175k grant if you want to volunteer with most of the money being spent on supporting the volunteer :scratch: . UR have been keen to point out that they have spent a vast amount on money in developing the game in Donegal, that's great, bringing the game to lots of kids in Donegal, however with the clubs having been ignored, there very well may be no clubs for these kids to go to as all bar one are struggling to fulfil fixtures and , and with each cancelled game bringing a fine, along with insurance, and branch fees , these clubs are dying on their feet.

Part of the "KPIs" was to have two clubs in Ail 1a, this was three years ago and all bar Hinch have the players and the support to be there, but this has been done solely by that club, and well done Hinch, the rest of the clubs are struggling all with no meaningful support from UR , week in week out academy , development and professional players sit in the gym being Molly cuddled, not being allowed to play rugby by the gurus who believe, that they are athletes not rugby players.

Clubs ( mainly Snr and a few Q1) also have to take some responsibility , for years they have sought out coaches on the coaching merry go round paid them stupid money only to be the 1st xv coach, not a club coach, and to feck with the 2nd XV etc. some of these guys were getting a bloody good wage to coach 4 hours a week and a few hours on a Saturday. Good job if you can get it.

I went and watched Instonians on Saturday, one word to describe what I watched " woeful" no direction, players not aware of what their roles and responsibilities were, no leadership, no common sense and the basics of rugby forgotten, maybe this was down to coaches not letting the players play, and micro managing everything from the sidelines. I am afraid I do not see Instonians being a Snr team for a few years, and maybe only if the powers to be get rid of the all Ireland in its current format and go back to a bloody good ulster senior league with the best of Q1 in it, Bangor, Portadown, CIYMS , Instonians, all previously snr clubs, even Ards may win a game.
By the way, Dundalk were just as bad.

Club rugby is in the poo and badly needs a hand. Spin and bullshît unfortunately will not help it.

Again , I go back to Hinch, why are they successful , why can a village team :D get out 7 teams every week, why do players have the pride they have in that club. Maybe Shane should visit this club, if he knows where it is.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Anyone else hear a rumour of a Certain AIL club looking to voluntarily drop down to Qualifying 1, so with Ards, Inst an AN other in Q1 will this affect promotion and relegation in the Qualifying leagues ?
Available for weddings May to August only
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Kofi Annan wrote:Again , I go back to Hinch, why are they successful , why can a village team :D get out 7 teams every week, why do players have the pride they have in that club. Maybe Shane should visit this club, if he knows where it is.
Because they've got bugger all else to do out there.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

If as it now seems likely Instonians stay in Q L 1 and Ards come down also virtually certain the two bottom sides B'money and the Dee drop down to QL2 and this will have a knock on effect throughout the sections. Promotion should not be effected.
This has happened before and will doubtlessly happen again.
if a second AIL leaves voluntarily then this will be breaking new ground and will perhaps be a wake up call to the IRFU and their current plans for the UBL.
Various rumours have circulated in the past as to whether some clubs perceive the winning of QL 1 as something of a poisoned Chalice.
Personally I have yet to be convinced that the UBL bank needs as many sections as currently proposed as I feel some clubs are living well beyond their means and talents and it is now all coming home to roost.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Again , I go back to Hinch, why are they successful , why can a village team :D get out 7 teams every week, why do players have the pride they have in that club. Maybe Shane should visit this club, if he knows where it is.
Why if they are so fantastic do they send a team to Armagh on a Thursday night and get beaten 19-10 ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I think, they will surprise some.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

possible David Dougherty/ Seamus Mallon coaching ticket?
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

Rooster wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Why if they are so fantastic do they send a team to Armagh on a Thursday night and get beaten 19-10 ?

Changed team from AIL team that played Clontarf and several injuries during the match. And maybe Armagh wanted it more after Hinch's defeat to Clontarf an missing out on playoffs
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

Rooster wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Apparently the Dundalk coach has got the Armagh job.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

RuPi wrote:Apparently the Dundalk coach has got the Armagh job.
Flip!
robrfc15
Novice

Post by robrfc15 »

John Andrews to take over as Head Coach of Rainey Old Boys, as Richard Boyd has left the position
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Russ wrote:
RuPi wrote:Apparently the Dundalk coach has got the Armagh job.
Flip!
Dundalk did win The All Ireland Junior Cup this year....
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18