Clermont v Toulon

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Clermont v Toulon

Post by Shan »

It never ceases to amaze me how f-cking stupid some players are. What the feck did they kick that ball away for. If you can't get through you keep bloody trying. You die fighting or you give up. They gave up. How sad.

That being said 3 in a row for Toulon is mighty stuff. Some will say they have all the money and it is true but the players still have to do the job.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Some daft decision making and discipline cost Clermont. Watching them week in week out must be a roller coaster.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Shan wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how f-cking stupid some players are. What the feck did they kick that ball away for. If you can't get through you keep bloody trying. You die fighting or you give up. They gave up. How sad.

That being said 3 in a row for Toulon is mighty stuff. Some will say they have all the money and it is true but the players still have to do the job.
Seem to recall Geordie Murphy doing something similar for Ireland a few years ago. Agree with you though, it was a hurried kick and a low percentage call. Their retention was ok and although Toulon's defence was strong it was a bit desperate.

Missing touch when they had an attacking pen a few minutes earlier was criminal also.

Wanted Clermont to win but better team on the day won and it's some effort to win 3 in a row by Toulon.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

I'm just sorry that a real team lost
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Very very sad, Clermont fans brilliant, the team conceded soft scores just before half time and again when 5 or 6 players failed to tackle Mitchell.

Good craic with loads of fans from all over as usual shame about the result :( but better team won.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Money wins !! Kerching! 3 in a row, welcome to the world of soccer.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Colin0395
Novice

Post by Colin0395 »

What was the attendance numbers? Did Twickenham look half empty?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Colin0395 wrote:What was the attendance numbers? Did Twickenham look half empty?
Top deck was closed, they must have moved people down from it
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Rooster wrote:
Colin0395 wrote:What was the attendance numbers? Did Twickenham look half empty?
Top deck was closed, they must have moved people down from it
The atmosphere sounded pretty good on the TV coverage (as you would expect from Clermont fans). However, who was singing Swing Low when 1/2p was lining up to kick - the Claremont faithful, or Englanders who were the recipients of free/cheap tickets, or just Baggy stirring it as usual??!! :scratch: :stir:

Noticed Twickers couldn't quite get it right for the awards ceremony as they exploded bleu et jaune ribbons instead of rouge et noir!! :roll:

Entertaining game though.
Hope is not a strategy.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Seemed like a lot of empty seats as the camera panned around the stadium. Half full maybe?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I "bought" £0 tickets and went to the game. The top deck was mostly closed but there were some people up there.

In the section I was in, there were quite a few empty spaces. They announced the attendance at the game of 50-something thousand - I couldn't quite hear. I don't know if that was tickets "sold" or the actual attendance.

The Clermont fans made a lot of a noise - a stadium full of jaunards in full voice must be a hell of a thing - and I felt sorry that their team basically self destructed.

It was an OK day out made memorable by the Clermont fans. Good value at £0 but I'd feel ripped off if I'd paid full price.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Lots of piped in atmosphere

Most of west stand closed - note these are also the premium seats

People around me shocked that I got £85 tickets for nothing

Weren't happy when I blamed the PRL for ruining the competition but could only say the competition wasn't fair as the english never win it

Toulon fans had huge microphones placed in front of them along with people walking through the toulon end of the crowd with boom mics
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Pity Claremomt fell asleep for a large chunk of that game. They could well have nicked it. Their half backs were total shaat.

Like everyone else, I am not a great fan of megabucks Toulon buying success. But fair doos - at least five of their starting pack are into their middle thirties and you have to hand it to the oul fellas for putting in a good puff and playing with comittment. Despite what we hear, would not be surprised to see POC there next year. He's old enough anyway. (Though I believe Pau could also be a possibility.)

Abendanon and Armitage are well ahead of their nearest England rivals. Lancaster is cutting off his own nose by the no-selection policy.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Spiffsson wrote: Abendanon and Armitage are well ahead of their nearest England rivals. Lancaster is cutting off his own nose by the no-selection policy.
The RFU and Lancaster owe the English clubs nothing. It's strange they won't select foreign based players.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

But they are not

Abendanon proved once again he cannot tackle

Armitage just flops over the ball. It's all he offers. He cannot link and is slow around the park

I'm also not convinced most of his flopping is legal