Pause for a moment today.

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Pause for a moment today.

Post by Rooster »

This day 90 years ago was the start of the Battle of the Somme, it affected practically every town and village in Ulster.
The 36th (Ulster) and 16th (Irish) Divisions were in the thick of the battle between 1 July and 13 November.

On the first day alone of the battle over 2000 died, 216 Officers and 5266 Men of the 36th Ulster Division died in total in that battle. Before it ended more than one million British, French and German soldiers were killed.

The battle claimed the lives of 420,000 British soldiers.

French casualties were estimated at 195,000 and the German loss of life was about 650,000.

Read the full BBC article HERE
Last edited by Rooster on Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Read in the snoozeletter, 25% of allied casualties at the Somme over the 5 months were Ulstermen. Two great grandads on my mothers side both fought at the Somme, both came home although they were both wounded.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Nor should we forget all the soldiers form Germany, Wales, England Scotland and Southern Ireland who were duped into fighting in this atrocity. Bravery at its best. If you have ever been to the Soome you will be amazed at the distances between the two sides. Roughly about the width of a rugby pitch. Native cunning saw the Ulstermen and some other enlightened divisions make great gains but bungling stupidity saw those gains lost by inflexible response.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

A great article in todays Irish Times including a mention of the IRFU volunteer corps. Check it out HERE
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
coach
Novice

Post by coach »

Horrific :shock:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Glad the Southern Irish are finally official remembering these brave soldiers.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Stand up for PICU R.V.H.