Nostalgia!!

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Nostalgia!!

Post by Setanta »

I just saw a great joke on the internet about nostalgia that ends with 'but we had no choice.' However with the great game we have always had choice. Remember the 'MARK', both feet on the ground, clean catch, and shout mark; now we have, leap in the air with both feet and knees aimed at the oncoming opposition. Oh, and if he happens to hit you, he'll be the one penalised for dangerous play! No comment required on the accompanying article......
http://www.rugby365.com/article/67220
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Nostalgia!!

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I remember when a "Mark" meant ONE foot on the ground, make a clean catch and bring your other foot down SIMULTANEOUSLY to making the catch and actually make a mark on the pitch as you called it.

Get any of those things wrong - even the tiniest bit out in timing - and the mark was not given. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I remember when a "Mark" meant ONE foot on the ground, make a clean catch and bring your other foot down SIMULTANEOUSLY to making the catch and actually make a mark on the pitch as you called it.

Get any of those things wrong - even the tiniest bit out in timing - and the mark was not given. :roll:
Steady Grumpy, as a full back who made manys the mark, you had your standing foot and you marking foot. The original idea was that you made a mark with your marking foot and that was the mark through which you you despatch the closest approximation you could if a raking spiral.

A Bangor lout Once stamped on my knee after the first chaser tackled me to the ground, in the return fixture I had the opportunity to stamp on his curly head, I of course availed myself of the opportunity to mark his head, with gusto.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I remember when a "Mark" meant ONE foot on the ground, make a clean catch and bring your other foot down SIMULTANEOUSLY to making the catch and actually make a mark on the pitch as you called it.

Steady Grumpy, as a full back who made manys the mark, you had your standing foot and you marking foot. The original idea was that you made a mark with your marking foot and that was the mark through which you you despatch the closest approximation you could if a raking spiral.
Steady wot?

Does that contradict anything I said? :scratch:

One foot on te ground, one foot brought down to make the mark .... wot's yer problem? Somebody mark YOUR brain sometime? :D
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Now now. We don't want an unseemly altercation between you two senior citizens. :lol: :lol: >drinks
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Steady wot?

Does that contradict anything I said? :scratch:

One foot on te ground, one foot brought down to make the mark .... wot's yer problem? Somebody mark YOUR brain sometime? :D
Steady. You didn't go to school in Bangor & have curly hair perchance? :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Changing the subject to a more peacable one - does anyone remember the old, cheap single X last sold in the Crown Bar in Belfast? Well, they're now selling it under different names in England; not cheap anymore though but that's power for the course!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Setanta wrote:Changing the subject to a more peacable one - does anyone remember the old, cheap single X last sold in the Crown Bar in Belfast? Well, they're now selling it under different names in England; not cheap anymore though but that's power for the course!
Single X ?

That's an ovum isn't it? Are you talking egg donation? Never knew the Crown used to facilitate that, but understand why it would not be cheap.
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

This thread's not as good as it used to be........... :duck:

Shocking......like one of your Grumps
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:This thread's not as good as it used to be........... :duck:

Shocking......like one of your Grumps
First thing I thought of replying and then thought better of it.

I knew it was only a matter of time before some idiot wrote it though. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Setanta wrote:Changing the subject to a more peacable one - does anyone remember the old, cheap single X last sold in the Crown Bar in Belfast? Well, they're now selling it under different names in England; not cheap anymore though but that's power for the course!
Single x was an attempt at nostalgia - a throwback to when there was a choice - as I recall single x was porter and double x was stout. Of course there was that ill fated attempt by Guinness to try to invent a new market by introducing triple x which was neither porter nor stout but just sh*ite. A 'pint of double' is all that it should be! :stout:
I note that Hilden Scullions do a single x porter - haven't tried it though.
Hope is not a strategy.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Pardon my ignorance, what is the difference between porter and stout? I thought they were one and the same.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I would agree, Snipe. Wide variation in stouts and in porters ..... with quite a bit of overlap between "the two", is the best way I would put it. Basically, what's in a name? Not a lot!

Not sure I would categorise single X and double X into different categories, but wouldn't argue with those that would. I think the brewer is entitled to call it what they will.

Perhaps there are those better edumacated than us ignoramuses that will say different though.

Bottom line for me is it doesn't matter what you call it, the question is, do I like it?

I have tasted a number of stouts and porters and liked most in their own way. One or two in both so-called categories I wouldn't try again though.
I'm not arguing -
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Nostalgia!!

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy remembers MORTON'S Red Hand
And a Double Diamond works wonders Usually 12 -24 hours later .

Then there was Tuborg Gold one step back from Carlsberg Special . Special
Put the girlies in the mood and then incapable in quick succession .

Sent from cyberspace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Any person who drinks Special Brew needs avoided like the plague Rumn