James Ackerman: Rugby League player dies after injury

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

James Ackerman: Rugby League player dies after injury

Post by pwrmoore »

Just spotted this story on the Beeb

I don't find League as exciting as our own flavour of the game but tragedy doesn't really recognise the distinction and it is dreadful to see a young life cut short in pursuit of our entertainment.

READ STORY HERE

A rugby league player seriously injured during a Queensland Cup match in Australia has died in hospital.
James Ackerman, 25, was playing for the Sunshine Coast Falcons when he suffered a head injury in a tackle five minutes into a game against Norths Devils.
The father-of-two was treated on the field at Bishop Park, before being taken to hospital in Brisbane, and Saturday's game was then abandoned.
Queensland Rugby League (QRL) said on Monday that Ackerman had passed away.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: James Ackerman: Rugby League player dies after injury

Post by big mervyn »

Terrible for all concerned.

If you witnessed something like that at a game, I think it would be difficult to return.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Vividly remember watching the Melbourne gang tackle on Alex McKinnon live on TV.
The cameraman was unaware of the extent of his injuries and got a close up of McKinnon mouthing to his teammates 'I can't feel my arms or legs'.
#RiseforAlex
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

and now we have another young cricketer killed after being hit (this time in the chest) with a cricket ball.

Whatever the sport, and whatever the level played at, no sport is without risk. Perhaps we should remember that when we watch our professional rugby players taking amazing physical punishment not just for their own personal satisfaction but for our enjoyment. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I can't help thinking of the famous Orwell quote: Serious sport ... is war minus the shooting. I don't think we're near it yet, but I wonder when the point will come when we have to say that the risks to health and life just aren't worth taking, merely to keep us entertained.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Much as each loss is horrific for the person & his circle of friends & relatives, they are quickly forgotten in most cases & life goes on. That is the cold truth for boxers in particular have died, or are permanently damaged, for decades & any attempts to ban it are hopelessly misplaced & all die a death very quickly. At the other end of the sporting range, Formula One was a glamourous death trap, no calls to ban it. Probably both are infinitely safer than was once the case but undoubtedly deaths or serious injury will continue to occur in both.

Most sports will pay lip service and take some measures which may or may not help player safety but the hard facts are that major sports are major business, none are going to go out of business on the back of a few deaths.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.