Help for an aul Boiler

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jockster
Squire

Help for an aul Boiler

Post by Jockster »

Was speaking to a guy about the position of my oil boiler's chimney (as you do). He swiftly moved to recommending replacing my 10 year old boiler with a new condensing one--saves a fortune apparently!!

Has anyone any experience of whether this is worth doing?---There's nothing wrong with the boiler I have btw and there has been no discussion about the cost to change yet.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Help for an aul Boiler

Post by Rooster »

Jockster wrote:Was speaking to a guy about the position of my oil boiler's chimney (as you do). He swiftly moved to recommending replacing my 10 year old boiler with a new condensing one--saves a fortune apparently!!

Has anyone any experience of whether this is worth doing?---There's nothing wrong with the boiler I have btw and there has been no discussion about the cost to change yet.
Depends on the boiler, my boiler service man said that ours is only 2% less efficient than the best condensing ones and actually better than some of the cheaper model ones he looks after, he has all the gas analysis and temperature gear and knows what he is talking about, also there are certain problems with condenser boilers especially the indoor models with chimney problems and condensate which is actually pretty acidic.
End verdict on mine was he wants it as a spare for himself if I replace it, he will even do the replacement at no cost to get it.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

My service guy showed me a very quick demonstration on the state of my boiler. With the burner removed he tapped the top of the boiler with the handle of a wire brush. A rust cloud decended convincing me that it was time for a replacement. I got a condensing boiler installed and the difference is amazing. I probably use about a half tank of oil less than the old one, even during those severe winters a couple of years ago.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

mid ulster maestro wrote:My service guy showed me a very quick demonstration on the state of my boiler. With the burner removed he tapped the top of the boiler with the handle of a wire brush. A rust cloud decended convincing me that it was time for a replacement. I got a condensing boiler installed and the difference is amazing. I probably use about a half tank of oil less than the old one, even during those severe winters a couple of years ago.
Yep - would certainly agree with that. My 17 year old boiler gave up the ghost rather suddenly some months back and I replaced it (on the advice of Mr boiler man) with a condensing jobby. The difference has been really marked and produced savings in line with what MUM says - although we also took the opportunity to install thermostats on all radiators which will have helped somewhat. They are a cleaner, quieter and much more efficient piece of kit. Recommended! :thumleft:
Hope is not a strategy.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Did the same Hans, with the thermostats on the radiators. Problem I have is I turn the things down and Mrs Mum turns them back up again.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I'm clearly at a parlous point with mine then, 16 years and never much to be done other than the annual/ish maintenance. I have a boiler man older than me , Bertie Marshall and Bertie knows his stuff. Told me that there were 2 types put in around here and mine is the good one, like Rooster's man, Bertie has all the bits and bobs & says the boiler is still very efficient after all these years a couple of percent off optimum.

No idea what the potential savings are but if there is much involved cost wise in early replacement it sounds prescriptive if your existing boiler is OK.

Jockie, you've been helped. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The difference is in the manufacturer of the boiler as much as the type of boiler, there are a huge number of very inefficient boilers but also some very efficient non condensing boilers and I assume that the new condensing boilers are similar but perhaps less of a difference due to regulations and most of the savings will be in the efficiency of the burners. Most oil burners have a consistent flame but there are some that vary the intensity of the flame and can save fuel that way, however the burner alone costs over £600 for the good ones
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Thanks for the responses folks. :thumleft:

I don't mind spending the dosh if there is a decent return. I'll post whatever figures the boiler man comes back with.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Jockster wrote:Thanks for the responses folks. :thumleft:

I don't mind spending the dosh if there is a decent return. I'll post whatever figures the boiler man comes back with.
I went from 5 fills of oil/year down to 3 when I replaced my old boiler with a new condensing one. But heating is even cheaper now that I've moved and have natural gas.

Be careful with talk of efficiency levels. Often what they are measuring is how efficient your burner is at converting heating oil into heat. They do this by measuring the levels of various things in the exhaust gasses. Once your boiler operative has completed the "service" they'll often regale you with tales of the amazing efficiency of your boiler - but they're really talking about your burner efficiency. Just as (if not more) important is how efficient your boiler is at converting the heat given off by the burner into hot water. Many old boilers are just big empty boxes with a jacket of water surrounding them and a few baffle plates to try to slow down/direct the escaping exhaust gasses. These are quite inefficient at transmitting the heat of the burner through to the surrounding water and a lot of your heat (money) escapes into the air as hot exhaust gas. The newer boilers are better designed and are generally much better at this second efficiency stage.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: