Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Snipe Watson »

BuckRogers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Doesn't change the fact that he didn't make it. If he's not good enough he needs to free up a space for someone who may be.
Changes quite a lot Snipe given your opening statement was pretty open and shut-
Snipe Watson wrote: Atkinson and O'Hagan were clearly not good enough and didn't show the potential to improve. It doesn't take more than a season to find that out if you know what you are looking for.
Have a look at the squad page to see who has been moved up.
Now i have seen both players play; Atkinson thrice O'Hagan twice so wouldn't consider passing much judgement on that basis alone.
I think I have seen O'Hagan once and Atkinson, never. That's why I thought he was a scrumhalf.
If the two have been dismissed out of hand after a season, the academy staff must not think much of them. I am quite sure that the academy have overlooked players in the past. Hardly surprising, but my understanding is that the academy have their act together and are now a much more professional organisation when it comes to identifying and assessing talent.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dan Dare wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Doesn't change the fact that he didn't make it. If he's not good enough he needs to free up a space for someone who may be.
Doesn't change the fact that you thought that he was a scrum half when he is a back row ! which actually shows that you are not that well versed to pass judgement on the lad.
I wasn't passing judgement on the lad based on my knowledge, rather the fact that he has been ditched after a season. The academy move players on every year. Some move up and some move out. I assume that all of those moved out have failed to impress and that our academy does not reject potentially good players just for kicks.
I may be the only one on here, but I don't think the academy are a shower of incompetents. I think they are now doing a good job and so in the absence of any other knowledge I accept their decisions.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

It'll be interesting to see how recruitment to the Academy from schools and other routes goes with the loss of McGlocks to rightly supporting himself with his own business.
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:It'll be interesting to see how recruitment to the Academy from schools and other routes goes with the loss of McGlocks to rightly supporting himself with his own business.
I would suggest badly. Brian's shoes will be very hard to fill.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Nightsoil wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I'm working on the assumption that our coaches know what they are talking about.
Snipe - if our coaches know what they're talking about, then how comes they're taking in guys into the academy and axing them in a year? To me, that suggests someone's had a real error of judgement somewhere along the way.

They've just done that twice in a year - then I think there's been both Jake Caulfield and Findlay Bealham who've came in and vanished within a season within recent memory; think Neil Faloon was only in for a year as well, certainly didn't do three. Plus the odd situation with Chris Taylor.

I'm not sure whether this is all the same people, and I'll freely admit to having zero info on why they've done what they have and they could have had very good reasons, but it's not a pretty picture and I'm not sure I would assume they know what they're talking about here. There seem to be a fair few missteps identifying talent going on.
Chris Taylor: some were on here spinning the yarn he was being looked at by Canada, if that was the case how did he never make it to the BC Provincial Squad let alone the team, the elite performance chap for BC coached in Ulster, so I am sure someone did not rate him when they looked at him there appears to be a bit of a myth of Taylor's ability, however I heard Chuck Norris refused a one on one.

Some players look good at UBL , but when it gets down to doing the hard yards, the criticism , the truth, they just don't cut the mustard, problem today is some think it's there for them but forget that it's a long way off and a lot of hard work In between , so the fail or just don't perform, O' Hagan failed and Atikinson was just maybe not good enough .

I think Glocks will be a massive loss, but I have a feeling in my fluids that all will be good and the Academy will take a massive leap forward, and if I hear correct a purpose built Academy centre of excellence is on the way . It's no longer a development team built around one or two stars as in was in the past, it's now out to win and produce Ulsters finest.

Anyway, how's ye all at home, :stout: loving my hard earned rest in Capetown,

Ps , I am with the Snipmeister on this.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

if memory serves me right, Kieran Campbell wasn't exactly a success at Dungannon, maybe gannonman can shed some light on his coaching methods
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Is he doing vasectomies now?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

scrum5 wrote:if memory serves me right, Kieran Campbell wasn't exactly a success at Dungannon, maybe gannonman can shed some light on his coaching methods
One of the many coaches on our books that either failed to be a success in the AIL or simply went straight into coaching by virtue of being ex pro's.

Not saying Naz isn't a decent coach, I don't know if he is or isn't. He might not have had a lot to work with at Dungannon or was he there the time Jacko and Gilroy etc were still there?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
I carry a sharp knife at all times Mervyn and am nothing if not helpful. :shock:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
I carry a sharp knife at all times Mervyn and am nothing if not helpful. :shock:
Helpful does not equal successful :lol:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Gilroy, Jackson, Nelson and Gaston were all there at that time
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

I think Kofi has summed it up well.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Indeed - last time he tried a vasectomy, he got the sack! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

This has been an interesting discussion on a subject that probably few of the contributors, (including myself ) know much about. The Ulster Branch, unlike the other Provinces, seem reluctant to promote the Academy as openly as they should, in my opinion.
Therefore the debate is controlled by speculation. The Academy coaches are with these guys 24/7 and they will see, not only the technical ability of the players but also the mental application or lack of it. I believe potential candidates are interviewed with their parents and decisions are made on this basis as well as their perceived talent. I think it is entirely feasible that the decision to cut certain players from the Academy roster is a much debated issue within the Academy staff and is not one taken lightly.
I dont know what their KPI is for Academy players making it into the Senior Squad, but I guess is is a very conservative figure. If you look at Schoolboy and Youth programmes over the years, you will not recognise too many names who have "pushed on ".
I agree that Brian McLaughlin is a loss, but there was an inevitability about his departure . But I believe that Kieran Campbell, Jimmy Topping, Bryan Young etc are doing a good job. It will be interesting to see reports on the new English coach Alex Codling and how he progresses. All Inter- Pro Age Group fixtures have been posted. Get out and see the progress the chosen few are making. It will make for a more informed debate.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
ruckover wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Indeed - last time he tried a vasectomy, he got the sack! :shock:
boom boom.

I operated in Russia around the same time as Logie. My code name was Ivan Knackofknickenemov