Toulon doping?

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

DavyG
Steward

Toulon doping?

Post by DavyG »

3 time European champions Toulon are at the centre of doping allegationsIt has been alleged that pharmacies in Toulon have been illegally providing players

There are various reports emerging this morning about the severity of the doping allegations.

PROSECUTORS IN MARSEILLE have launched a criminal investigation into the practices of a number of pharmacies in Toulon following a notification from AFDL, France’s anti-doping authority.

It is alleged that these pharmacies have illegally been providing products to players at Toulon rugby club, the three-time European champions.

French broadcasters RTL broke the story this morning and report a prosecutor based in Marseille began to officially investigate suspicions of doping involving the club in May.

According to RTL, the prosecutor suspects a pharmacist or pharmacists of illegally supplying Toulon players with “substances related to doping,” including antibiotics and anabolic steroids.

RTL also say the case could double up as “social security fraud”.

However, French newspaper Midi Olympique reports the drugs in question were painkillers.

“It appears only to be painkillers handed out without a prescription,” reported Midi Olympique. “It would be the pharmacists who would be more concerned than the players and club.”

Speaking to Le Monde, club president Mourad Boudjellal said:

“I have no worries at all, it’s totally untrue. I will hold a press conference at midday to explain.”

"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Toulon doping?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

No need for a press conference - If Boudy boy says it, we believe him! :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I loathe Toulon, soon to include former hero Paul O'Connell, soon to be a hated Toulon Spide, just as soon as I can be bothered getting worked up about it. >ECNF
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

What I am surprised about is that this is even news. Most professional sportspeople are involved in some form of 'doping'; rugby players are definitely not an exception here. All you'd need to do is calculate their height, weight and body fat percentage to get their fat free body-mass index score to see that they are above 'normal and natural' levels of muscle mass.

Doping is definitely endemic in sport, particularly rugby.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

troupe86 wrote:What I am surprised about is that this is even news. Most professional sportspeople are involved in some form of 'doping'; rugby players are definitely not an exception here. All you'd need to do is calculate their height, weight and body fat percentage to get their fat free body-mass index score to see that they are above 'normal and natural' levels of muscle mass.

Quite right - that's why I don't do any of that silly "training" nonsense, in case someone thinks I'm a dope ..... sorry, I mean, "doping"!
I'm not arguing -
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

troupe86 wrote:What I am surprised about is that this is even news. Most professional sportspeople are involved in some form of 'doping'; rugby players are definitely not an exception here. All you'd need to do is calculate their height, weight and body fat percentage to get their fat free body-mass index score to see that they are above 'normal and natural' levels of muscle mass.

They also do above normal levels of tin shifting ergo it might not be unreasonable to expect they've have above normal levels of muscle mass...
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

BuckRogers wrote:

They also do above normal levels of tin shifting ergo it might not be unreasonable to expect they've have above normal levels of muscle mass...
Lifting weights is only a part of it. Nutrition also plays a role, but lifting weights doesn't necessarily make you as muscular as a professional rugby player and/or bodybuilder. Steroid use contributes to the up-regulation of nutrient conversion and consequent muscle mass creation; it's just like some women (an extreme example) who are 'scared' to lift weights in case it makes them as big as a man - they simply don't have the hormonal predisposition to do so. Much like many men, who don't have the hormonal predisposition to be 17+ stone and in single digit body fat percentage. I have studied this, so I know what I am talking about here. Many rugby players, much like American footballers (who get a 'Team Doctor note' to avoid random testing), are on performance enhancing drugs.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

troupe86 wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

Lifting weights is only a part of it. Nutrition also plays a role, but lifting weights doesn't necessarily make you as muscular as a professional rugby player and/or bodybuilder. Steroid use contributes to the up-regulation of nutrient conversion and consequent muscle mass creation; it's just like some women (an extreme example) who are 'scared' to lift weights in case it makes them as big as a man - they simply don't have the hormonal predisposition to do so. Much like many men, who don't have the hormonal predisposition to be 17+ stone and in single digit body fat percentage. I have studied this, so I know what I am talking about here. Many rugby players, much like American footballers (who get a 'Team Doctor note' to avoid random testing), are on performance enhancing drugs.
You don't need steroids to help with nutrient conversion, good nutrition can do it alone
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:
troupe86 wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

You don't need steroids to help with nutrient conversion, good nutrition can do it alone
Good poultry, eh Rooster?

None of that carcinogenic red meat rubbish, eh? :lol:
I'm not arguing -
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Roosters chickens have the stair rods inserted long before before being served. Very potent stuff :D
I think the exiled Toulouse lump wasn't a stranger to the stair rods,hence His silly behaviour . Its a wonder He wasn't stair rod tested after thon day of infamy.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

Rooster wrote:
troupe86 wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:

Only up to a point. That's why when people overeat in terms of their daily macronutrient intake, they tend to put on body fat. When on steroids, your daily macronutrient intake is extended by another 500 kcals daily (or thereabouts) and is normally put to good use in converting to muscle glycogen and consequent mass building; this will result in bigger, heavier and leaner people. Honestly, professional rugby players are doping, much like professional footballers and cyclists do for recovery. What you don't know would scare you; there's too much money being made in professional sport and all routes are taken in order to compete and succeed. Ironically, doping in sport is fairly safe provided it's overseen and prescribed by a relevant person 'in the know'.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Ma'afu sacked.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote:Ma'afu sacked.
Aye convicted of assault - got suspended prison sentence and a fine. Has joined Cardiff Blues with immediate effect.

Toulon have replaced him with a Fijian called Manasa Saulo - who can't play until mid-Jan, as he got a ban at the rwc for stamping.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

First report I read on him joining Cardiff : Cardiff Blues announce deal for former Northampton Saints prop Salesi Ma'afu.

You may have thought it would have read: Cardiff Blues announce deal for disgraced woman beating sacked Toulon prop Salesi Ma'afu.

Maybe Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff use the Jihad PR company.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:First report I read on him joining Cardiff : Cardiff Blues announce deal for former Northampton Saints prop Salesi Ma'afu.

You may have thought it would have read: Cardiff Blues announce deal for disgraced woman beating sacked Toulon prop Salesi Ma'afu.

Maybe Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff use the Jihad PR company.
He will fit in well with the locals on a night out in Cardiff then, need to watch himself though as some of those Cardiff women will put him in A&E :lol: :lol: :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best