Ulster A V Bristol

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster A V Bristol

Post by Kofi Annan »

Maybe running with the ball is a new inventive way to play this rugby thingy.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
ADM
Initiate

Post by ADM »

Not sure which was more concerning - the fact that Tommy Bowe was there on crutches or the fact that he was wearing shorts on a night like that :shock:
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Kofi Annan wrote:Maybe running with the ball is a new inventive way to play this rugby thingy.
For Ulster Rugby it is...
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ADM wrote:Not sure which was more concerning - the fact that Tommy Bowe was there on crutches or the fact that he was wearing shorts on a night like that :shock:
Missed that, I've been recovering from a dose of the lurgy, went under-dressed an today feel like feck all squared.

Lest there be any doubt, my assessment of the Iron Duke was based on expecting him to be entirely shambolic rather than merely useless. He exceeded my expectations but in all fairness he is so ponderous I would hate to see him anywhere near the Ulster side.

I also get the impression that as a nipper, someone told him he has silky skills and he has laboured under that misapprehension ever since ............... however his scything break was genuinely a massive dummy, easily bought I suppose, but then well executed thereafter.

His line kicking was ultra conservative and he seemed to have no idea whatsoever how to use the wind, 6 from 6 from the ground sounds good, especially as I read that Ulster had the worst kicking stats in last seasons SDC, however albeit the wind was tricky, none of his kicks really were.

Scrummie, you make the point about Willie and CRoss that I intended to but didn't manage. Willie looked too good for that standard, CRoss just didn't.

And finally to HIs Grace, my dear friend. Had I realised that you actually gave a toss, I might have bombarded you with bulletins and updates but ................. I know damn well you've been sitting on yer arsepeice all week & were free to travel but didn't, not even with the lure of a free ticket :lol: :lol: :lol: and secondly and more importantly, it was fecking Baltic and my wizened ould claws were in no shape to be tapping out reveille on a piece of "tachnalagee".

Harrumph.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I actually enjoyed that game, some good points some average some meh and then there was BRoss and Rowley.. Gawd they were fecking awful... Like seriously woeful.
It's a step down from pro12 so some players looked comfortable, ruck inspector, mullholland and AOC can hold their own there no problem, Willie looked a class above some turn overs were exceptional, Andrew is a good prospect Simpson looked brilliant, but that's because he came in after BRoss who as has been documented was utter dump.
Windsor looked OK, one beautiful break, one charge down, one almost interception, quality kicking and he tackles... Ie he's better than Humph. Mind I don't think he received a decent pass all night, high low behind over head jeeeez Rowley is shat.
Best was good, intact the backs were eager... Liked the look of the full back, nippy and busy.
When we run onto the ball break the gain line and recyclecquickly we looked like a good outfit.... But far far too much flat static impotent crap, and ffs whenvpeople go hard at a weak shoulder support the guy....

Much more positive than I was expecting, not as much hoofball, which can only be applauded.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Concur with most of what Baggy typed, but I would analyse Rowleys effort more harshly, his passes from the base were shocking at times. I'm hoping the upturn in performance is a result of players seeing McCall making it on the team bus to France and realising next time it could be them.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Actually hadn't read Corners assessment and I agree with it too. I would add that I would like to see Windsor on the bench for the big boys more often as he might prove more reliable than iHumph during the 6 nations. I did kick a couple of tricky ones and would surely be better than playing Nelson at 10 for some easier home games.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Yes Joe, totally agree, many times Windsor had to stop catch a shat pass and had zero options but cut vack and wait for Willie to rescue him.
Im willing to bet Sam would have looked better with beagle and that is really saying something
If your 9 is slow and can't pass... Basically yer fecked...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I mentioned this the other week that Rowley, IMO, has managed the not unimpressive fear of being the worst scrumhalf that has ever played for Ulster.

He and Browne really were two poor and completely pointless signings. I think I would rather play a man down than have either on the pitch.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BuckRogers wrote:I mentioned this the other week that Rowley, IMO, has managed the not unimpressive fear of being the worst scrumhalf that has ever played for Ulster.

He and Browne really were two poor and completely pointless signings. I think I would rather play a man down than have either on the pitch.
Or play our own lads instead? Why we went for Browne instead of letting AOC, Donnan etc get a chance beggars belief. Ditto Shanahan, and we let other yon wee blonde scrum half Heaney go for Rowley? Ditto Porter. Let's hope the Rubicon has been crossed. Let's play our own wee'ns and show our yoot that it's not a closed shap. If you're good enough, you'll get a chance, instead of blow in wasters, and salaried dross getting their pension pot topped up.
I hope the corner has been turned with AOC, Willie etc getting back to where they should be. I'd be happy with both in SDC squads.
Exterminate all rational thought
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I will confess that the Duke could be considered "hampered" by the poor Rowley, on whom I was less severe than warranted simply because I didn't want to be entirely negative, but by Christ I'd want the Iron Duke nowhere near the Ulster bench, give me Nelson any day.

I found the Duke incredibly ponderous and wonder were those who found him encouraging watching side on from the terrace rather than my lofty perch behind the posts. I have no doubt that a dithering 10 can be more easily identified from behind than from the side. I believe him to be as much use as Inspector Browne.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Once a Knight wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: And finally to HIs Grace, my dear friend. Had I realised that you actually gave a toss, I might have bombarded you with bulletins and updates but ................. I know damn well you've been sitting on yer arsepeice all week & were free to travel but didn't, not even with the lure of a free ticket :lol: :lol: :lol: and secondly and more importantly, it was fecking Baltic and my wizened ould claws were in no shape to be tapping out reveille on a piece of "tachnalagee".

Harrumph.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

One had matters to attend to Baggy. Curtains will not hang themselves. >EW

I had a passing interest in it Baggy because I suspected a "bounce".
So David told me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought chaps like you simply "got a man in". :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I forgot to mention the highlight of the game. One of Iron Duke's kicks sailed into the Memorial Stand and a guy not far from me rose like a salmon and headed the ball back to the terrace below. Nicely timed sir, I wonder how the concussion is coming on? :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Leonidas
Novice

Post by Leonidas »

Can anyone provide us with some background info on James Simpson, I don't believe that he is in the full acadamy?
Leonidas
Novice

Post by Leonidas »

Or is that Jonny Simpson.... :duh: