Jonah Lomu

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dan Dare
Squire

Re: Jonah Lomu

Post by Dan Dare »

What a life........... What a player.

I often wonder how many players in the game started lifting weights and getting stronger so they could try to tackle a "Jonah Lomu"

Rest in Peace big man.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

What gutting news this morning about Jonah Lomu, he was an absolute idol of ours. An icon of Rugby Union.

Him and big Jezza in one year, very, very sad >ESAD .

Thinking of his wife, his 2 little lads who are much too young to have lost their Daddy and of course his wider family.
hooking king
Novice

Post by hooking king »

I remember in late May 1995, watching Ireland against New Zealand in the World Cup - exams were looming but you don't miss the world cup - not when Ireland are playing. Irelands Call was making it's debut, Gary Halpin scored a try and hopes were high(ish). I'd never heard of or seen Lomu until that point. He completely changed the game. He went easy on us (2 tries). When asked afterwards how would you stop someone that size, Denis McBride replied "with a baseball bat". You can take the boy out of Malone... The England game turned Jonah from something of a rugby star into a global superstar. I'd never seen a player surrounded by other players of such high calibre stand so far above them. An incredible man, on and off the field. 40 is no age. Not for someone who at a time seemed immortal. You were an absolute joy to watch Jonah and the rugby world owe you a huge debt for the way you conducted yourself off the pitch, and on it. For how you brought the game to life and compelled non rugby fans to tune in to see how a 20 year old was rewriting the rule book.

RIP - thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and freinds.
Last edited by hooking king on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Just heard. Terrible terrible news. RIP.
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

An iconic player who I believed changed the game. To be taken so young is a tragedy. My thoughts are with his family, in particular bis two young children.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

hooking king wrote:I remember in late May 1995, watching Ireland against New Zealand in the World Cup - exams were looming but you don't miss the world cup - not when Ireland are playing. Irelands Call was making it's debut, Gary Halpin scored a try and hopes were high(ish). I'd never heard of or seen Lomu until that point. He completely changed the game. He went easy on us (2 tries). When asked afterwards how would you stop someone that size, Denis McBride replied "with a baseball bat". You can take the boy out of Malone... The England game turned Jonah from something of a rugby star into a global superstar. I'd never seen a player surrounded by other players of such high calibre stand so far above them. An incredible man, on and off the field. 40 is no age. Not for someone who at a time seemed immortal. You were an absolute joy to watch Jonah and the rugby world owe you a huge debt for the way you conducted yourself off the pitch, and on it. For how brought the game to life and compelled non rugby fans to tune in to see how a 19 year old was rewriting the rule book.

RIP - thoughts and prayers are with you, your family and freinds.
Nicely said sir.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Lomu took a game that was set to evolve with professionalism, and simply revolutionised it. A game changer.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Just seeing this now. Feck. Terrible news for his family. He'll not be forgotten in a hurry.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

RIP Legend...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

In case there are any youngsters who don't remember the 1995 World Cup, have a look at the compilation of his tries and assists. Just Google, 'Jonah Lomu creates carnage' and follow the link to Youtube. Sorry I don't know how to get the URLoff this tablet thing!

Great rugby player and, by all accounts, a great guy.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ChuckleBrothers
Novice

Post by ChuckleBrothers »

A tragic loss...when asked what his inspiration was for the England 95 Semi performance, he answered 'Tony Underwood winked at me during the Haka'...BIG mistake!
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Phenomenal player. Pace and power, the man had absolutely everything. Talent in abundance.

Sad, sad day for his family and sport.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

A humble big giant who unfortunately has been taken too soon. His Doc was on the radio totally devastated but he was onto to say how Jonah was struggling with his kidneys from 1995. The coaches would have a go at him thinking he was lazy when he had bad weeks but he refused to let his Dr divulge his illness because he wanted to be judged on his rugby ability and not his illness.
Seemingly he had just flown in from overseas and looked well the night before but died from a heart condition, probably linked to his chronic disease. Very sad.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

If this doesn't give you the shivers and a lump in your throat you're made of stone or you don't love our game.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=12 ... 58&fref=nf