Ulster v Barnet Bellends

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Barnet Bellends

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:Image
Cecilia wrote:
Feckin Baltic with a chance of heavy rain wind from NW

I'd pay good money to hear her say thon!
How much and I will arrange it if it is for a good cause
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Second half capitulation was shocking. We looked laboured, clueless and offered no threat whatsoever. I for one am completely underwhelmed by our style of rugby. Paddy kicking back into their fullback channel every time last night was awful.Farrell was a class above and his contribution to their late on try was excellent.. The Ulster players were the only people in the stadium that didn't see that dummy coming. To compound a poor performance I had to endure a bellend behind me in the West Terrace shouting obscenities throughout clearly fuelled by too much alcohol and egged on by his moronic mates. I am no shrinking violet but the language and comments from some last night when there was kids around is depressing.The Irish lads looked tired, Hendo toiled away but to no avail as did Henry but Rory looked knackered. Sarries were the hungrier/ nastier team and had real edge and real pace and made Ulster look very very ordinary in the second half. Worrying times.
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

Reference your last point about players looking tired - I don't know why. No game in a fortnight and all Irish guys 'managed' and playing in front of a packed Ravenhill on European cup night. No excuse.

In fact, Ulster looked as though they had the last fortnight off they looked so clueless. Ulster are so bad that I would rather watch the English Premiership sides. Even if the English play boring rugby they do it well - Ulster can't even manage that. Pointless, poorly executed kicking - not just from PJ but every member of the backline - rarely has a team kicked away so much possession over 2 seasons.

When Ulster have the ball they are so stagnant it doesn't even qualify as attack or offence. Let's have a ruck, a pass to a static 2nd row - and.....that's it. FDM actually had the audacity to try and dummy last night. I laughed out loud. Ulster are so passive it defies description. I mean, the offload for Sarries second try - a lovely piece of skill - to attempt that is not even in any Ulster player's mindset, never mind skill set. We are a poor team, who are poorly coached.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Even the Saintly Pienaar was at it. Kicking the ball on turnover ball is inexcusable, kicking it dead... Well.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
lepus
Novice

Post by lepus »

We looked as disjointed a team as I've seen put out at ravenhill. Theres no doubt that games against teams like sarries are won in the front 5 - enough said. I thought ludik and gilroy were exposed as a defensive paring. There seemed to be acres of space behind/between them for chips/grubbers which was duly exploited. Mr Gilroy is getting a bit long in the tooth to be exposed like this - 114 caps no less, he should know where a winger aught to stand by now. I feel for paddy in games like this, he's an outhalf who likes to play flat, maybe too flat. On nights when his pack are standing still or going backwards he ends up looking a bit clueless...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well that didn't really go to plan!
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Rooster wrote:Well that didn't really go to plan!
Nope, not at all.
FRB
Initiate

Post by FRB »

Ulster had a plan?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

FRB wrote:Ulster had a plan?
Not totally sure but there might have been one.
Rory Best
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Our backs were found wanting in defence and our forwards were comprehensively outmuscled, out-thought and out-gunned over the park. Much as I dislike them Sarries were impressive and put in an object lesson in playing away from home in mince conditions.

After about 50 minutes our race was run...possibly that was from the effort of staying with a team that were pretty far ahead of us on the night. The best compliment I can play Sarries is that they never let their men get isolated; in attack and defence they always worked their knackers off to support each other be it for grunt or runners.

They're dirty and could have had 2 reds but we could do with a few bar stewards. Too nice, too weak, and our backs will do nothing if our forwards can't get us over our own 22. Kick chasing on a night like that will never work out.

Credit to them, since the quarter final a few years back we've stood still in most areas and gone backward in others. They've moved forward and it shows.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

One has to admire what Mark McCall has achieved .

The Bellends are at the top of the Premiership for a reason they are the best in the Premiership . And last night Ulster played a team which has taken four years to develop there have been few changes in the team since Ulster played them two years ago and the changes have been improvements rather than adding weakness.

Their forwards took the ball at pace sucking ulster players into the tackle zone and then they kept them in the ruck depleteing the available defensive resources the major task allotted to the Bellend forwards was not to gain yardage but to create space for the backs.

McCall then had his backline play the perfect wet weather game put the ball behind the defenders and chase it thus the defending Ulster backs got caught in two minds and flat footed in the second half when the Bellends started to run from deep.

Their wingers were always wide seldom inside the 10 metre line and always appeared to have space to attack the Ulster goal line.

Ulster on the other hand fielded a selection of good players who hadn't played together for months eg when did the backrow last play together when did the half backs last play together Trimble and Ludic are both just back from injury

To be beaten by a good team is no surprise, sad yes, surprise no

Ulster have some rebuilding to do before they will beat that team
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:One has to admire what Mark McCall has achieved .

The Bellends are at the top of the Premiership for a reason they are the best in the Premiership . And last night Ulster played a team which has taken four years to develop there have been few changes in the team since Ulster played them two years ago and the changes have been improvements rather than adding weakness.

Their forwards took the ball at pace sucking ulster players into the tackle zone and then they kept them in the ruck depleteing the available defensive resources the major task allotted to the Bellend forwards was not to gain yardage but to create space for the backs.

McCall then had his backline play the perfect wet weather game put the ball behind the defenders and chase it thus the defending Ulster backs got caught in two minds and flat footed in the second half when the Bellends started to run from deep.

Their wingers were always wide seldom inside the 10 metre line and always appeared to have space to attack the Ulster goal line.

Ulster on the other hand fielded a selection of good players who hadn't played together for months eg when did the backrow last play together when did the half backs last play together Trimble and Ludic are both just back from injury

Right, who hacked Rum?
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Top Post Rum, even a broken clock is right twice, one more to go..... >EW
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Russ wrote:
rumncoke wrote:One has to admire what Mark McCall has achieved .

Right, who hacked Rum?
I know, I agreed with every word of that! :shock:

And, I could read it! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

It does make you wonder what analysis Ulster did and what their game plan was. It just appeared way too pedestrian and predictable in the first half. By the second half tiredness started to creep in and a few mistakes later the confidence was completely shot. Confidence and a positive mental attitude will carry you a long way in sport.