Connacht v Ulster Boxing Day 6pm BBCNI

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tazz #15
Initiate

Re: Connacht v Ulster Boxing Day 6pm BBCNI

Post by Tazz #15 »

rumncoke wrote:FNW last year was hitting rucks late at a rate of knots .

With one of two results being penalised for going off his feet or dangerous the first ended in a yellow card if repeated and the second either a yellow and on occasion red

Which meant Ulster either playing 10 men for 10 minutes minimum nearly every other game

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I know he's been good but he certainly doesn't do the work of 5 men!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

With one of two results being penalised for going off his feet or dangerous the first ended in a yellow card if repeated and the second either a yellow and on occasion red

Which meant Ulster either playing 10 men for 10 minutes minimum nearly every other game

This year he seems more controlled in his rucking and if late refrains from coming involved
Just clarify for me Rum'n,are you suggesting Fat Nick was yellow carded in most games? That he got a red card occasionally?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

This year he seems more controlled in his rucking and if late refrains from coming involved
Just clarify for me Rum'n,are you suggesting Fat Nick was yellow carded in most games? That he got a red card occasionally?
According to the UR stats, he got ONE yellow and no red cards last year.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

2 yellows and 0 reds in 68 appearances in an Ulster shirt.

Luke Marshall is a durty wee hallion in comparison :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

The correct answer, though his suspension meant he warranted a red (& he did).........but of course he only missed 10 minutes of the games he played. Hardly a record indicative of thuggery all season as some would have you believe. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Diack is pushed back in too many tackles over too many games for my liking.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

The correct answer, though his suspension meant he warranted a red (& he did).........but of course he only missed 10 minutes of the games he played. Hardly a record indicative of thuggery all season as some would have you believe. :roll:
and the one yellow he did get was for the same incident that was subsequently cited and resulted in his suspension.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Fact that we have now moved on to discussing performances when winning instead of losing shows how far we have come in such a short space of time. Yes we weren't at our best today but am absolutely delighted with the result. We now have a major chance to really take control of our own destiny in the league. Our next 6 league matches are Munster (H), Treviso (A), Dragons (H), Glasgow (H), Scarlets (H), Cardiff (A) and Zebre (H). This run of fixtures gives us a real opportunity to improve our standing.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Feck me, this site is Bi polar :duck: when we're up, we're worldbaters :lol: as the Canucks say, we've learned to win "gnarly." Which we'll take. Marshall (L) is back to the form that got him capped, and at a position that suits him. PJ best 10 in Ireland by a mile currently, and McCall and AOC must continue to start, given their form is way above the vaunted front liners. Watch how they're ignored by Joe Schit. Let Chewy Payne et al warm benches on their return until good enough. Even DC shouldnt be a shoo in. I hope we've said goodbye to starts based on reputation. Form first please. The Kiss way?, then fair play.
A word re Lutton; seems to have learned scrummage all of a sudden. Confidence? Or as a result of getting his ears lowered below his head band? :shock: :lol:
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I have just had the dubious pleasure of watching the match 'as live' and struggled to keep myself from fast forwarding pas most of what was a dour attritional affair with defences on top. Probably a bad night to try anything creative and in that respect both teams agreed not to bother. Our defence was solid as usual although we were sucked into a narrow formation at times which will hopefully be addressed this week and eliminated for the visit of the Turnipstan delegation next Saturday.
Once a Knight wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Nick took last year off. I'm happy now that he doesn't need a video highlights reel he's still putting in a graft.... Very much so!
I agree. But as you know, for me it's all about consistently seeking the fine margins and he, more than anyone, cost us a Pro12 last year.
I'm of the view that he decided after his Pro12 player of the season award in 12/13 he had made it and took his eye off the ball. Resulting in the backside falling out of his game.
I fully expected Nick to revert to underwhelming tonight, having secured his new contract, but he was interested and more up for it than most. So although I am declaring that I was wrong, I reserve the right to review this declaration at any time if Nick hits "KFC bargain bucket mode".
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Feck me, this site is Bi polar :duck: when we're up, we're worldbaters :lol: as the Canucks say, we've learned to win "gnarly." .....
A word re Lutton; seems to have learned scrummage all of a sudden. Confidence? Or as a result of getting his ears lowered below his head band? :shock: :lol:
Ye see CIMAN, we are supporters, there is no middle ground when you are passionate about your team, only absolute highs or desolate lows. There ye are. My medication keeps me on a relatively even keel, but other less so.

Lutton was ignored and disincentivised by a coach who has the man management skills of General Melchett.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:I just don't take disappointment well. I work very hard with kids and when they dont perform I turn to the other guys who are giving out and say "Chr!st guys! Wise up! They're just kids. They have to make their own mistakes". Inside, I am livid that I haven't taught then better.

Nick, I get angry about. That guy could have been a serious AB 8. World Cup winner. He'll ply his trade for another two years and hang up his boots. In a lucid moment, he will look back and wonder "What if I'd taken it seriously and been committed?"

I hope he's got it in his head this year.
I know exactly what you mean, but it takes a complete set of skills to achieve greatness along with a slice of luck and the right opportunities. Nick has a great skill set, but I always feel he lacks a bit of dog, bloodymindedness and hunger.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Snipe Watson wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Feck me, this site is Bi polar :duck: when we're up, we're worldbaters :lol: as the Canucks say, we've learned to win "gnarly." .....
Ye see CIMAN, we are supporters, there is no middle ground when you are passionate about your team, only absolute highs or desolate lows. There ye are. My medication keeps me on a relatively even keel, but other less so.

Lutton was ignored and disincentivised by a coach who has the man management skills of General Melchett.

If you're referring to Clarke, here's a funny thing. No less a GLU than Fez rates Clarke highly, and credits him with helping to get his career started. Says so in his book. Wonder what's went wrong?.......
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Once a Knight wrote:I just don't take disappointment well. I work very hard with kids and when they dont perform I turn to the other guys who are giving out and say "Chr!st guys! Wise up! They're just kids. They have to make their own mistakes". Inside, I am livid that I haven't taught then better.

Nick, I get angry about. That guy could have been a serious AB 8. World Cup winner. He'll ply his trade for another two years and hang up his boots. In a lucid moment, he will look back and wonder "What if I'd taken it seriously and been committed?"

I hope he's got it in his head this year.
I know exactly what you mean, but it takes a complete set of skills to achieve greatness along with a slice of luck and the right opportunities. Nick has a great skill set, but I always feel he lacks a bit of dog, bloodymindedness and hunger.
He's never been hungry.
The staff of Burger King could give you a differing view, but would state that they dealt with that recurring issue.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Ye see CIMAN, we are supporters, there is no middle ground when you are passionate about your team, only absolute highs or desolate lows. There ye are. My medication keeps me on a relatively even keel, but other less so.

If you're referring to Clarke, here's a funny thing. No less a GLU than Fez rates Clarke highly, and credits him with helping to get his career started. Says so in his book. Wonder what's went wrong?.......
That may well be the case, but here's the thing. What worked with Fez may not work with others. The greatest thing that any coach can do is identify what buttons to press to get the most out of each individual player. The worst thing, or one of them anyway, is to adopt a one size fits all approach that may work for some, while being counter-productive for others.
Les Kiss is a people person. It should be no surprise to anyone that guys respond positively to being treated as individuals.