Bedford V Ulster RAvens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Bedford V Ulster RAvens

Post by BuckRogers »

Sometimes I ask questions I already know the answer to Ruckie.

Warwick is (wrongly IMO) currently behind Black, you can accept that or accept it not...I don't really mind.

It's strange that a player who was given so much game time ahead of McCall for over 18 months is now 3rd choice.

I oft wonder what goes through Clarke's mind at times and then take a moment and thank god I don't actually know as it would undoubtedly perplex me.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Free entry according to UR site

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/14476.php#.VpejbVLnncs

There is no charge at the gate and all support will be hugely welcomed by the players and management.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

Decent team out. Hopefully they can get a result. These team does leave Hinch a bit short of Ulster Players going into the AIL cup semi final. At least this way they can play they players that kept them in the league last year and not the ones who are to blame for them probably being relegated this year.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

cheese wrote:Decent team out. Hopefully they can get a result. These team does leave Hinch a bit short of Ulster Players going into the AIL cup semi final. At least this way they can play they players that kept them in the league last year and not the ones who are to blame for them probably being relegated this year.
Feck Hinch
Gryzor
Novice

Post by Gryzor »

BuckRogers wrote:Did I hear correctly that Dow was playing for Ballynahinch Seconds last weekend?
I'm guessing this is another question that you already know the answer to :D

I think the problem with Dow is that his game up until now has been based on being bigger and stronger than most of the other guys - in 1A and at Ulster, everyone is as big as him, and he needs to do a bit more.. He's certainly a good big athlete, he needs to become more of a rugby player.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

No actually I didn't know the answer to that, an acquaintance of mine who also enjoys a little rugby told me and I was looking for some confirmation? I enjoy local rugby as much as the next man but I'd be hard pushed to go watch a seconds match!
Gryzor
Novice

Post by Gryzor »

BuckRogers wrote:No actually I didn't know the answer to that, an acquaintance of mine who also enjoys a little rugby told me and I was looking for some confirmation? I enjoy local rugby as much as the next man but I'd be hard pushed to go watch a seconds match!
I heard he was playing for the seconds all right, I saw him at Ballymacarn park after the firsts match in his civvies, applauding the players off the pitch..
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Gryzor wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Did I hear correctly that Dow was playing for Ballynahinch Seconds last weekend?
I'm guessing this is another question that you already know the answer to :D

I think the problem with Dow is that his game up until now has been based on being bigger and stronger than most of the other guys - in 1A and at Ulster, everyone is as big as him, and he needs to do a bit more.. He's certainly a good big athlete, he needs to become more of a rugby player.
The same would be said of Timoney though he was caught up short more in the size stakes, will be interesting to see if he can make it at 7.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Gryzor wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:No actually I didn't know the answer to that, an acquaintance of mine who also enjoys a little rugby told me and I was looking for some confirmation? I enjoy local rugby as much as the next man but I'd be hard pushed to go watch a seconds match!
I heard he was playing for the seconds all right, I saw him at Ballymacarn park after the firsts match in his civvies, applauding the players off the pitch..
Player management >EW
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BuckRogers wrote:Sometimes I ask questions I already know the answer to Ruckie.

Warwick is (wrongly IMO) currently behind Black, you can accept that or accept it not...I don't really mind.

It's strange that a player who was given so much game time ahead of McCall for over 18 months is now 3rd choice.

I oft wonder what goes through Clarke's mind at times and then take a moment and thank god I don't actually know as it would undoubtedly perplex me.
Neither Black or AW are playing anywhere near the level of McCall atm. Saturday will be another great test. AW has disappointed. Whilst never at the same level in the loose as McCall, his scrummaging was very sound- indeed he did a couple of numbers on Castro agen Toulon last year, before all 4 wheels came off the Ulster wagon. He's no mug, but has went backwards rather than progressing at the rate he was. Maybe a couple of seasons of stable game time and development are now required as he's still young. McCall may plateau a bit too imo. Wouldn't be surprised. If we can keep both fit and rotating, based on form, then we have a couple of keepers. AW needs to work on his loose game, as I believe McCall has, and as Herbst also contributes in terms of tackle count. Herbst and McCall together put in significant amounts of offensive tackling. Warwick is quite passive I think.

Don't think you can argue McCall is, on form, rightly our no1 Loose head. The difference between AW and Black is probably experience and injury currently. Black is solid, but offers little in the loose. Ditto Lutton. Sure Rodney'll sort out tighthead for us..... :duck: If true, that's a load of ballix fer Us'ns. Ah Ye has never impressed me. Stick with our own, Herbst apart >EW
Exterminate all rational thought
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

I guess the wider point I'm trying to make is...was Warwick ever so much better than McCall that Clarke tried to force him into becoming a hooker? What was running through Clarke's head when he ignored Lutton until the last league match of the season last term and successfully ignored McCall for ALL of last season?

Our starting LH and reserve TH were completely jettisoned for most of last season on one man's decision. It's become clear for all to see he was not just a little wrong but quite spectacularly wrong.

We hear that Clarke is a hard task master and demands high standards but I believe that Lutton and McCalls fitness was up there with the best of the props. Their ability is there for all to see so maybe it was attitude? Or maybe it was Clarke identified Warwick and wanted to promote the guy he'd found so he looked better...just like it was HIM and him alone that fixed the scrum on Sunday?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Black has peaked as a prop and his level is "steady". Warwick has potential and is possibly struggling to back up his first impressive season with injuries and form. McCall has pulled us out of a hole this season.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Big time. Both McCall and AW are the future. Both young and will get better if injury free. Agree ref Black. Not the same player after winning the tussle with TC. Ironically TC going well in AVP.
Exterminate all rational thought
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Just in case anybody's interested, here's the Bedford side...

15. Steffan JONES, 14. Sam BLANCHET, 13. Henry STAFF, 12. Tom GRIFFITHS, 11. Dean ADAMSON, 10. Jake SHARP, 9. Jordan BURNS; 1. Tom WILLIAMS, 2. Charlie CLARE, 3. Phil BOULTON, 4. Harry WELLS, 5. Mark FLANAGAN, 6. Justin BLANCHET, 7. Nick FENTON-WELLS (captain), 8. Joel CONLON.

16. Sam JAMES, 17. Camilo PARILLI-OCAMPO, 18. Paul TUPAI, 19. Biyi ALO, 20. Peter WHITE, 21. Myles DORRIAN, 22. Ollie DODGE.

Biyi Alo (#19) is a prop in the Saracens Academy.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Am I right in thinking that Mark Flanagan is Devon Toners cousin ?played in France in D2 for a while
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best