Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by scrum5 »

Once a Knight wrote:
Russ wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:The standard in Dubai is worse than playing for Malone 3rds
It's worse than that

It's one of the only places where you can buy cheap alcohol as a westerner and drink it in public

Eseentially people go, get smashed and then decide who's least smashed and wants to play a game
:scratch:

I thought Malone didn't have a thirds this year?
Malone don't have a firsts either :duck: sorry Rocky
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

It was today confirmed that Alex Codling will leave Ulster Rugby at the end of the season to take up the position of Head Coach with Ealing Trailfinders.

The former England international was appointed as Forwards Coach for the Hughes Insurance Ulster Rugby Academy in May 2015 and took up the position of Head Coach of the Ulster A team, sponsored by CD Group, ahead of this season's British & Irish Cup.

Codling has overseen the progress of a number of local young players who have made the step up to play senior rugby, but he admits that he is sad to be leaving the Province:

"I've really enjoyed the year I have had with Ulster, but circumstances regarding my house dictate that I'm unable to stay on beyond this season.

"I have worked with some brilliant people during my time here, from the Academy staff, to the senior coaches, through to the clubs and schools across the Province. I'm proud to have worked with such a talented bunch of players in both the Academy and the A set up and I wish them well in their future careers.

"I've witnessed local young players pushing on into the senior squad and I've no doubt more will follow suit in the near future. The structures in place within Ulster Rugby are first class and the Academy is in a very healthy state under Kieran Campbell.
Will be big boots to fill, I wonder were it all went wrong.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Stamp Duty...
Exterminate all rational thought
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Stamp Duty...

:scratch: care to elaborate?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

As we head towards the end of the season only John Donnan and David Shanahan are due to leave the Academy at the end of the season. Would you give either a development contract for next year?

Personally I wouldn't, just intrigued to see what others think.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Yes , and why not.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Kofi Annan wrote:Yes , and why not.
Donnan - we seem well-stocked in the second row for next season and no place for him. That he hasn't been able to earn a first team appearance ahead of Browne this season makes me doubt any potential he may have.
Shanahan - any scrum-half who is unable to displace Beagle in the Ulster team isn't worth a contract.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Haven't seen enough of Donnan to judge him and was hoping I would get a chance this season if it weren't for Browne! Shanahan I believe should be playing in front of Paul, so yes I would have him on a development contract especially considering we haven't much else now, and doubt we will for next season.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

ruckover wrote:
Donnan - we seem well-stocked in the second row for next season and no place for him. That he hasn't been able to earn a first team appearance ahead of Browne this season makes me doubt any potential he may have.
Shanahan - any scrum-half who is unable to displace Beagle in the Ulster team isn't worth a contract.
Should we let Alex Thompson go too then?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I would certainly keep Shanahan, you need 3 or 4 scrum halfs and assuming the drums are tapping out with Rowley and in with Porter that still requires the mascot to remain ...........unless of course somebody is making a case for the likes of Young?

Donnan I genuinely have no idea, the fact that he has been given a minute is a problem. If he were on basic rations for the duration and we can afford to keep him to give him some more time to develop then keep him if they consider there is potential.

What I will say is that I hope we don't revert to type and start again to get lads in for some game time come the early part of the season, now is not the time obviously when we are two defeats away from a nothing season. Unless of course we lose the next two, then they could give me a game never mind young Donnan. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
ruckover wrote:
Should we let Alex Thompson go too then?
No. He still has another year in the Academy in which to make an impact.

In my opinion if you aren't making some sort of impact on the first team by the time you're leaving the Academy then you aren't worth keeping. Donnan has made exactly zero impact on our first team and Shanahan has made little to no impact, which I feel bad about because both should have had more chances. Ultimately though, I'd get rid of them both.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Ruck the problem with that is, we don't know whither it's the players fault or the coaches fault and I have no confidence in our coaching set up...
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Unless of course we lose the next two, then they could give me a game never mind young Donnan. :roll:
If that comes to pass Baggy, do you want buried here or in Spain? Or if it's ashes, scattered here or there? :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Furthermore I would be reluctant to see any forward with anything about him going without being properly tested such is the lack of anything coming through. We can't afford to waste an talent there may be so that us why u find bringing in the likes of the clowns we did last summer so frustrating, they could all clear off in the summer and all we would have done is block nipper opportunities.

Much as I haven't much time for him, the Inspector had something of a small impact, the others none.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: Unless of course we lose the next two, then they could give me a game never mind young Donnan. :roll:
If that comes to pass Baggy, do you want buried here or in Spain? Or if it's ashes, scattered here or there? :lol:
You tap into my greatest fear Cap'n, the thought of dying here appalls me. However should that come to pass I care not how I am disposed of. Fire and planted anonymously under a bush as fertiliser or just thrown in the bin it will matter not a jot.