TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Deraless »

scrum5 wrote:+ he's constantly injured.....sign him up quick
Our rehab facilities are second to none. See how we keep fixing Payne for all those International matches and the rotters keep sending him back busted!
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Snipe Watson wrote:
I could be grasping at straws, but I want to believe that there is some joined up thinking going on and that's what I'm going with. Beats the lining out of wallowing in despair. I have heard some positive reports about how things are changing and they are not part of a quick fix. If there is a strategy to build a team from the ground up, I'll back it.
Things do need to change both in our playing roster and in our coaching set up and while we know it won't be an overnight series of events, we've been waiting for these since the days of McLaughlin. We still have the coaches that have made the team's on-field activities what they are - mostly poor fare sprinkled with individual skill. Since the mantra that 'forwards win games - backs decide by how much' seems to be trite but true and given that we have backs who are not short of talent then we need changes in our forwards or we need changes in both how or what they are developed into or by whom they are coached. Our current coaches have failed continually and the team is in decline from last year to this. They played better rugby under Anscombe. They were a far more aggressive side then.

Ulster simply can't go out and buy a new bunch of high quality forwards to 'beat up' opponents. Our current players by and large are too nice. Diack for example is a very skilled player but never seems to get fired up. That's a pity as at 6'5" and 18 stones and pretty athletic he has the raw materials. If he had Fez's mentality he'd be a heck of a player. For all we hope the likes of McCall and Warwick are getting there, they seem to lack the brutality and sheer power of most of the better props. Sgt. Wilson's days are over but he's still better than some of the younger guys on our books. Beagle is simply too below par for 90% of his on field time.

It's difficult to know where the changes will come that will result in an up-turn. I think we have the core of a fine team. I just don't think they are on the right page of 'The Art of Coarse Rugby' that Clarke uses.

We have some very talented players. What we really lack are ignorant brutes in the forwards and I would think a forwards coach who can make the ones we have actually play like they can. Our forwards bar Best, Herring, NWJMB, FVDM and FNW seem more like pussycats than lions. At least when Tuohy was fit he got us a bit of go forward ball. It's surprising how much we might have missed his grunt. Currently the pack does not generate any dynamism, punch or athleticism and certainly puts no 'fear' on the opposition.

We all know that we have augmented the good players with far too many make-weights like Ross, Reidy, Windsor and therefore the work load on the good guys increases. FFs we are paying guys who have never played a second of 1st team rugby. Maybe McCall, Warwick, Dow etc will be even better next season and we will actually have a back row with Coetzee, MWJMB and Henry that can win the ball etc. One lives in hope. The sad thing is that our good players are beginning to look average under the constant pressure of the mistakes that pervade the games. e.g. Olding simply is wasted at 15. He needs to be closer to the action. We have now lost 4 out of 5 games and quite frankly we were in position to have won all of them, even without playing well.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

McCall's performances have certainly shown he's no pussycat, it's a shame we don't play him more often. I would also have no illusions put about the place about Touhy prior to his injury, he was dreadful and AOC would deservedly still be ahead of him right now.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Change in the wind
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Kofi Annan wrote:Change in the wind
Well I don't have a fecking clue what that means.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:
Well I don't have a fecking clue what that means.
Logo just farted
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
MemorialEnd
Novice

Post by MemorialEnd »

Anyone know if we're likely to see Marcell Coetzee play for the Boks against Ireland in the upcoming series? Would be great to get a preview of our new arrival, albeit while yelling 'don't get injured!'
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Is McCloskey going to Mexico for a long holiday?
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

drumbo diehard wrote:Is McCloskey going to Mexico for a long holiday?
And join a queue behind Henshaw, Ringrose, Fitz and McFadden??

Wouldn't think so - have you a source for this?
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

drumbo diehard wrote:Is McCloskey going to Mexico for a long holiday?
Is he going to Acapulco for a fortnight in the summer?

Would be a strange one, certainly this year as he is contracted with us for 2016-17.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

youre starting to sound like KOTH Kofi.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Not a rumour--Andress away to the turnips. He's definitely had a fair aul career >seeya
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35917621
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Thanks be to Jaysus & the wee feckin' donkey.

You sure Kofi? I doubt there is anyone at Ulster Rugby who isn't happy with a reasonable balance sheet & the occasional hint of progress on the field.

My glass is nowhere near a quarter full never mind bloody half. I think our DNA screams "modest failure, and who feckin' cares". I'm seeing good players looking like beaten dogs & some real dogs looking like preening c0cks.

It was David Byrne who wrote "we're on the road to nowhere" but it could have been penned at Spanners. :duh: :duh: :duh:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Joe Schmo wrote:
youre starting to sound like KOTH Kofi.
I thought he was sounding more like Russ... :duck:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »