Pack for next season...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Pack for next season...

Post by Russ »

ruckover wrote:
Dave wrote:The prospect of coming to Ulster isn't a good enough draw
If playing alongside Henderson and Coetzee in our back row isn't enough of a draw for Conan then there's very little we can do to bring him here. If we had that back row next season it would be close to the best (if not the best) in the Pro12 and Conan would walk straight onto it.
therealspratt wrote:Is Conan not just back from an injury?
Yep. But he still wouldn't be in Leinster's first choice 23. He's behind Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip, vdF and probably even Jordi due to his versatility.
100% agreed

He also will have the best facilities, seemingly one of the top coaches in Ireland and an attractive european city to live in

Then we get ... Clarke
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

ruckover wrote:
Dave wrote:The prospect of coming to Ulster isn't a good enough draw
If playing alongside Henderson and Coetzee in our back row isn't enough of a draw for Conan then there's very little we can do to bring him here. If we had that back row next season it would be close to the best (if not the best) in the Pro12 and Conan would walk straight onto it.
therealspratt wrote:Is Conan not just back from an injury?
Yep. But he still wouldn't be in Leinster's first choice 23. He's behind Ruddock, SOB, Heaslip, vdF and probably even Jordi due to his versatility.
Yes but he isn't just playing alongside those two. 'Mon up and play with Rodney and Pete Browne' is quite as attractive. Plus put yourself in his shoes: if you were an up and coming rugby prospect is there any way you would leave Ulster to play for Leinster? Didn't think so. He doesn't have much in front of him. Heaslip will be away with Ireland and is 33 this year. Conan will be benching or starting because is a great ball carrier.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

therealspratt wrote:
Dave wrote:Our problem, or one of them, is we have too many passengers. Players like Black and Lutton who get the ball and put their heads down and run into someone. The defense has acres of time to reset. Yesterday Connacht forwards kept the ball going through the hands until it came to someone who could do something with it or they found space. When they did this or even better, offloaded, they tore Leinster to shreds.

In my view our pack isn't good enough. Unless we have some bolters from the academy we wont have enough quality in the squad.
Next season we should hopefully have a lot more of AOC, and McCall which would be a boost. From this year's academy we'll probably see more of Dow, something of Donnan, and I would say Trenier is in the runnings at tighthead though the injury which ended his trip out to play for a club in Australia this summer may have put him back a bit. Potential bolters might be Timoney around whom there have been some surprising rumblings, and Thompson who I think is a real prospect and looks close to the part already. Outside of the academy there's Simpson, Taggart, Mulholland, and Joyce, but I haven't a clue what'll happen with them. We should really be throwing the chequebook at Nigel Carolan, man has done amazing things with Connacht's academy.
Re Carolan…. Surely the door was opened with the advertisement of Elite Development Officer and Talent DEvelopment role. Did anyone from Ireland apply for these positions? we of course don't. won';t and have no right to know.. it might be nice though to see if anyone else was actually interested…
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

As an aside, was anyone else underwhelmed by R.Ah Ye on Saturday? Decidedly overweight and unfit; his contribution to a magnificent Westies effort was FA squared...

I saw him up close, and saw nothing to suggest he's an upgrade on Lutton or AW, other than by the stone...
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:As an aside, was anyone else underwhelmed by R.Ah Ye on Saturday? Decidedly overweight and unfit; his contribution to a magnificent Westies effort was FA squared...

I saw him up close, and saw nothing to suggest he's an upgrade on Lutton or AW, other than by the stone...
Yes he looked less than briliant, but if Rory Best rates him, that's good enough for me.
He may be overweight and unfit, but that doesn't mean he will be overweight and unfit come September. JD can transform him, if he embraces this fresh start and is willing to sweat and probably :pukel: a little.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Better job than with D Fitz. Player has to do his part. Can be with JD all day but if they go home to burgers and beer than its down the tube.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

RA You is a decent spud
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:RA You is a decent spud
That will make him hungry
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

solidarity wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:Despite all that, I firmly believe that if it had been Ulster v Connacht yesterday, we would have won.

For all that Ulster choke against other teams, especially Leinster, I think Connacht don't believe they can beat us, especially away from the Sportsground. Ulster expect to beat Connacht, and Connacht expect to lose agin us.

Sometimes that's just the way it is, ..... and it's time Ulster got past that mentality.
Exactly Cap'n. It's all in the mind. I also believe we would have beaten them because our game is better suited to beat them than Leinster's. How do we change our big game choke / Leinster choke mental frailty? Might we have to wait until the majority of the team doesn't have the history of choking that most of our senior players have?
Gentlemen, I use your conversation only as a joining point of some relevance, not to chastise you, however ........

Almost everyone is missing the point, the incredibly vital point that you MUST finish in the top Two. It is not a freak set of results these past 6 years, it's as clear as day, home advantage is a huge plus in knockout games.

If the Pro12 still had the no 1 seeds hosting the final I have no doubt whatsoever that that Mexico would have beaten Connacht at home.

The other issue & topic of this thread is the pack. It appears to me that folk are judging Ulster's pack on the personnel who played the last few matches. That pack was not good enough but there is sufficient scope for change that it is currently impossible to say what might be good enough next year.

Purely for illustration, a pack of:

McCall, a year on, Big Licence Or perhaps even Black with more grunt behind him than Super could provide
Rory, still, Herring pushing him
Herbst, perhaps. Big Licence, perhaps, Dave Ah Feck ?
Tuohy/Treadwell
Franco
Hendy
Coetzee
Henry/Reidy

Might well give Ulster a considerable improvement. It could be better, of course it could, much better but it will hardly be worse than the front 5 that finished this year.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Give the props about another 18 months experience , there are those who forget that the Props who played in 2014 against Saracens where Court and Afoa ,

Some players I expect to improve some will start to wilt with age the first thing necessary is a little luck that all stay injury free , while I wish Touhy well I just wonder if he can come back as the player he was 2 seasons ago i have my doubts .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

With the number of injuries Dan has suffered and the way the repeated one to his arm seems to have affected his game, I don't see him rising above AOC again in the pecking order. It'll be Franco, AOC, and then Treadwell(for the moment), Robbie, and Dan fighting it out for the bench lock spot, Browne after them.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Russ wrote:RA You is a decent spud
Tbh Russ, I don't want a decent spud, I want a downright nasty b'stard who wants to bury every loose heads nose in the dirt and tear every opposition hookers intercostals as he sends him airborne. And a fit one at that- 20 stone of blubber is no good to Man or beast unless your the Japs using it for "research purposes" (porpoises?.... :duck: )
Exterminate all rational thought
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Where is this love for Treadwell coming from? What have people seen from him to suggest he's suddenly going to become our third choice lock?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Tazz #15
Initiate

Post by Tazz #15 »

ruckover wrote:Where is this love for Treadwell coming from? What have people seen from him to suggest he's suddenly going to become our third choice lock?
What have people seen to suggest he's not? Ah, no matter, it's the Ulster way!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

ruckover wrote:Where is this love for Treadwell coming from? What have people seen from him to suggest he's suddenly going to become our third choice lock?
Oh no wasn't saying that he will be, more that he'll be probably fighting it out with Robbie and Dan for third choice (and Robbie only really there for versatility reasons), he just needs to be better than Browne for that.