2016-17 Champions' Cup Qualification

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 2016-17 Champions' Cup Qualification

Post by Dave »

I think that is a tough-ass group. Sure it could be worse and was nice to avoid Sorriescums and Toulon but it will be tight. Clermont topped the top 14 but they can be choke artists like us. With our away form I'd be anxious if we needed to win in their place. The Exeter games will be a good contest. I like the way they play and they will be hard to stop. Our scrum will be a worry and potentially the pack could be shyte. It may depend on how quick Coetzee returns. Or if he even comes.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

looking forward to Exeter always wanted a trip there now we have the excuse..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I'd like to go to both Exeter and Bordeaux Beagles depending on dates.

I see Bordeaux play in the Stade Chaban Delmas... I don't have good memories of that place after Ireland's performances there in RWC 2007.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:I think that is a tough-ass group. Sure it could be worse and was nice to avoid Sorriescums and Toulon but it will be tight. Clermont topped the top 14 but they can be choke artists like us. With our away form I'd be anxious if we needed to win in their place. The Exeter games will be a good contest. I like the way they play and they will be hard to stop. Our scrum will be a worry and potentially the pack could be shyte. It may depend on how quick Coetzee returns. Or if he even comes.
I'm still not convinced Coetzee's is coming.... And I wont be until he comes round to plat (sic) cribbage with me every other Wednesday*.

* I suspect Fleg will be expecting him on alternate Thursdays
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:I think that is a tough-ass group. Sure it could be worse and was nice to avoid Sorriescums and Toulon but it will be tight. Clermont topped the top 14 but they can be choke artists like us. With our away form I'd be anxious if we needed to win in their place. The Exeter games will be a good contest. I like the way they play and they will be hard to stop. Our scrum will be a worry and potentially the pack could be shyte. It may depend on how quick Coetzee returns. Or if he even comes.
I'm still not convinced Coetzee's is coming.... And I wont be until he comes round to plat (sic) cribbage with me every other Wednesday*.

* I suspect Fleg will be expecting him on alternate Thursdays
If he gets a speeding ticket racing from fleg's to yours, will you believe it then?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

Delighted with the draw in general. Clermont are great and I was hoping to get a trip to Exeter as I can't make the preseason match. Not getting Sarries / Leicester is a bonus. We've not a chance of winning it anyway so an enjoyable group is all I ask for. :D
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Desperately hoping I get to Clermont, it's one of the away venues on my bucket list.

Will try to make the other two as well. Bordeaux may be tricky but Exeter should also be manageable.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Rooster wrote:
Neill_M wrote:
solidarity wrote:
Russ wrote:
Rooster wrote:Bordeaux is handy if away match is in first 2 rounds otherwise it gets more complex for travel.
Why?
Same question, Rooster, round three will probably be my only chance of an away trip.
The direct flights from Dublin to Bordeaux stop at around Halloween, alternative routes needed for rounds 3-6.
Correct answer Neil, Aer Lingus fly out Friday back Sunday or Monday up to end of October
Thanks Guys.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

solidarity wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Neill_M wrote:
solidarity wrote:
Russ wrote: Why?
Same question, Rooster, round three will probably be my only chance of an away trip.
The direct flights from Dublin to Bordeaux stop at around Halloween, alternative routes needed for rounds 3-6.
Correct answer Neil, Aer Lingus fly out Friday back Sunday or Monday up to end of October
Thanks Guys.
I only checked Aer Lingus as they are my preferred carrier, well Emirates and Ethiad are ok as well but they would be a long way around to go to Bordeaux :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Who cares, it's the SDC. :roll:
Agreed
But we play 2 proper old school clubs for once

And a band of mercenaries on the french coast

Old School? Gusher will be having a field day
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

mea97mb wrote:Exeter, Clermont and Bordeaux.

Could have been a lot worse, throught we were going to get Saracens and Toulon.

Cracking group. As Baggy alludes ("it's only the SDC"), we shouldn't be all that arsed about it, but there's 6 games with plenty of scope for entertaining rugby.
It's the hope that kills you.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Zero Fecks - SDC.

The End.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Rooster wrote:
solidarity wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Neill_M wrote:
solidarity wrote: Same question, Rooster, round three will probably be my only chance of an away trip.
Thanks Guys.
I only checked Aer Lingus as they are my preferred carrier, well Emirates and Ethiad are ok as well but they would be a long way around to go to Bordeaux :lol:
if it's Bordeaux in December or January I would imagine UR would sell some seats on their team flight? Where do you fly to for Clermont? I think I would prefer that match if Bordeaux isn't the first one up, though I have a sneaky feeling it might be.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Clermont is either Lyon or Geneva as nearest airports.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

I see the weekends have been announced for the Champions Cup matches but does anyone from memory know when the specific dates/opposition and locations are confirmed. I have a few weekends to sort and keen to know when is the earliest I will likely be able to do that.

Many thanks :D :red: :fleg: