Pre Season Fixtures

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Pre Season Fixtures

Post by rocky »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
MCBwinwinwin wrote:At the risk of get Baggies back up I think we can be optimistic about the season ahead.
I'll be the judge of that. >EW

Remind me what school you went/go to :scratch: I believe you may have meant "Baggy's back".

Meaningless preseason friendly doth not a season make ...... as I believe I read in the bible.
True words, Bagster, but a man can dream, can't he. The offload to Stockcube was one of the loveliest things I have ever seen on a rugby pitch - and credit to the youngster for being there to receive it.
And another thing - this "Charles" business. If he's going to be an Ulsterman, it has to be plain and simple Charlie, surely.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:I watched the AB dismantle the Ossies this morning with the help of Poite the Twoite... (retire that muppet)

It dawned on me that while Charlie isnt unique hes one of about 30 odd players in the world who can easily breath the same rarefied air as rugby masters. A while ago i asked the best Ulster player i have ever seen what he thought of Charlie, he smiled and told me in a Durban accent, this guy has skills to burn.... I obviously misunderstood what he meant. Now this is what we call box office.

Then i thought when our rested backs come back this could get a bit good ... Ive got a season ticket i can watch this stuff live. Then weve got Marcel to make his mark.... Bring me the armchair of Alfredo Clive....

But can he do it with a wet ball.... ;-)

PS really seriously impressed with Herron and Lyttle...
Good point well made.
"Hitman" Herron made a good start to his Ulster career and it was somewhat lost in the palaver over CP, Rodders and Wee Lyttle. He was solid, made his tackles and ran the backline rather well. OK he didn't put passes in places where no ball has the right to go like PJ, but he looked capable and unphased.
His pass for Charlies try was great
Also for charlies try how many of our current wingers would have said "feck it im bulldozing my way over this other winger"
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Im saddened by the lack of abuse Dylan got
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote: His pass for Charlies try was great
Also for charlies try how many of our current wingers would have said "feck it im bulldozing my way over this other winger"
Lyttle was the one who I thought showed wisdom way beyond his years when he sent Louis in even though he had a decent sniff of the line himself. We have a lot of seasoned guys who would have taken the riskier option and pinned their ears back, but Rob played the percentages like a veteran.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Interesting article by Barnes in the Sunday Times on Picamole. The star signing for the Saints.
In a pre match discussion he was seen as a major threat along with an allegedly strong back row, but apart from him trotting off having been Yc he was hardly seen.
I don't know how much of Saints TV and RFU money was spent on him but on Friday nights evidence they were robbed.
I know it was only a Preseason Friendly against a Pro 12 side and he may Buck up his ideas later in the season but by comparison with Charles he was woefull.
Yes Charles wa involved with 3 tries but even more telling was his involvement and committment throughout all phases of the game. We definitely came out of the transfer market ahead their.

With regard to the lack of abuse for Dylan I would put it down to the largely anonymous performance of the Saints Pack.
Our other signings Brett and Rodney both surpassed their post signing expectations on here.
Brett I thought produced a very workman like performance and sensibly played within his capabilities, the long pass out Charles on the wing was superb. I liked the way especially in the first half McCluskey kept talking to and encouraging him.Hard to beieveMcCluskey was the new boy this time last year.
With regard to Rodney I think he could well be another Fat Nick, and Les Kiss's prediction at the URSC AGM that a preseason with the S & C coaches has made a difference.
Must admit that when I saw the Saints XV versus the Ulster Shadow XV I had doubts but I was really impressed that we were able to put out two winning Ulster sides on the same night and the same venue. let's hope that this is repeated again next year.
It may only have been the Canada A side but you can be sure that their Coach would have wanted a victory on the night following his past history at Ulster.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Ok, as a blow-in from the Gentleman's Game, is it not the done thing to mention the Saints poor sportsmanship (cheating), or the poor referee?
They blocked of our runners throughout the game, yet we had two players sin binned, to their one.
Heh-Ho, I suppose having sent them home with a sound spanking, it's a bit of a football cliche to moan about their cheating and a poor ref.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Tighter End wrote:Ok, as a blow-in from the Gentleman's Game, is it not the done thing to mention the Saints poor sportsmanship (cheating), or the poor referee?
They blocked of our runners throughout the game, yet we had two players sin binned, to their one.
Heh-Ho, I suppose having sent them home with a sound spanking, it's a bit of a football cliche to moan about their cheating and a poor ref.
Wouldn't regard that as poor sportsmanship/cheating. Just something that everybody tries to push to the limit and beyond if the can get away with it. Same as all the offsides that go unpunished. Up to the officials to police it really.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

big mervyn wrote:
Tighter End wrote:Ok, as a blow-in from the Gentleman's Game, is it not the done thing to mention the Saints poor sportsmanship (cheating), or the poor referee?
Wouldn't regard that as poor sportsmanship/cheating. Just something that everybody tries to push to the limit and beyond if the can get away with it. Same as all the offsides that go unpunished. Up to the officials to police it really.
I actually think he's one of the better refs in the Pro-12, for a wee lad from Norn Irn, even though he refs for Scotland. Along with young Shitehouse and Mitrea, we do now have a few reasonable refs.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Young shitehouse is probably the best prospect out there in the ref game
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Mitrea can be susceptible to some homer calls but generally is coming along nicely!
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Just watched the replays of the tries. Andrew's wee soft inside pass to Charlie deserves a mention.
Are Dan and Tommy marketing themselves for other employment? I enjoyed Dan's "Oh you filthy individual" for the Bonny Prince's offload.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Colin0395
Novice

Post by Colin0395 »

Bit of a late post, but I rather enjoyed both games.

The Ulster A side showed that we have players with potential coming through the system. There were a few big lads in the Canada team.

The game against Saints was great. I felt that our defence was solid, our younger players all had good games and Charles' offload for Stockdale's try was obscene. He will very quickly become an Ulster legend.

There will be a lot of selection headaches this season, which can only be a good thing.

Rodney got slated a bit here when his signing was announced. If he carries on playing the way he did on Friday night I don't think we can complain too much!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Bar the yellow cards I thought the ref did fine for a friendly .

Yellow cards have really no place in a friendly a talk should be enough provided the player hasn't lost his sense of reality .

True the Saints got away with some blocking especially in the second half but the blocking was well executed and would have required an awareness and expectation to be called by a ref .

Anyway I think a second half spent defending was time well spent because defence is frequently the most important aspect to a game consider Charlie's try was a two minute wonder a game is 80 minutes

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

If that's the Rodney we get all season then he might be just as important for us than Charlie.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote:Are Dan and Tommy marketing themselves for other employment? I enjoyed Dan's "Oh you filthy individual" for the Bonny Prince's offload.
Rank amateurs. Not a single "very much so Dan/Tommy".
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall