IRFU succession policy - NIQs for 2017

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: IRFU succession policy - NIQs for 2017

Post by rocky »

The number and quality of NIQ players next season will not be determined by the IRFU - it will be determined by money or, rather, lack of money.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Do we need more NIQ other than at 9 though? Props and hooker look good, 2nd row we will have AoC, Touhy, Big Pete, Treadwell and Alex Thompson coming through [plus Donnan]. Back row- Hendo, Reidy, Marcel, Robbie and Cross are playing well and Mattie Rea hopefully will come through this season and maybe Timoney next season. There is also Dow, Mulholland and a few more prospects in the academy. The backline is stacked other than at 9 where we only have 2 super prospects but in the academy and sub academy, but of course we can't sign an NIQ 9.
Since we aren't stuck elsewhere I'd rather give the lads we have a run- its worked with Kane, Lyttle, Rea looks a prospect from the preseason games- we have top quality NIQ's in the squad as is, I'd rather not buy in filler just for the sake of it when we can grow our own.
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

If you look at NIQs in other 2 provinces we shouldn't be too stuck for signing almost any position in the pack

Next year,

Ulster - Piutau (15), Coetzee (8)
Munster - Saili (13), Taute (12), Bleyendaal (10), Kleyn (5)
Leinster - Gibson-Park (9), Kirchner (14)

Im I right in thinking Leinster wont have Nacewa and Triggs next season???
And Munster wont have Chisholm???

Spots currently available - 1,2,3,4,6,7,11

although I really don't think its as strict as that
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I get the feeling that Charlie is now signed as a winger ...

When does Herbie qualify?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

Cornerfleg wrote:I get the feeling that Charlie is now signed as a winger ...

When does Herbie qualify?
This is herbst 3rd year
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Fangs!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Marmion, Hart, Cooney or McGrath at 9 would be a significant improvement on what we already have bar Pienaar.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

rocky wrote:The number and quality of NIQ players next season will not be determined by the IRFU - it will be determined by money or, rather, lack of money.
Rocky, surely the IRFU determine the money so in effect they still control the lack of it to pay for a NIQ
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

IRFU are Bellends.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

222toHounslow wrote:IRFU are Bellends.
More significantly they are Knob Gobblers, see what I did there Snipe?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Irish Rugby is dying................... it's hair, it's moustache but most significantly, it's dying on it's feet through increasing costs and stagnant/diminishing revenue.

Money taken from Mexican & Ulster budgets this year, Munster have almost bankrupt the whole bloody thing. >THUH

The only solution is an injection of private money, I'm willing but sadly a pauper, pending the results of the Euromillions this week. >EW

Succession planning in the main is a business concept, FIRFU have no concept of business, planned or otherwise, continually wasting money on yesterday's officials being kept in the style to which their wives would like to be accustomed, hiring in troublemaking foreigners*** and the likes, and having bluffers at provincial level who will tell you the amatuer game is thriving when male adult rugby is going down the shitter in terms of numbers.

We're off to Hell in a handcart it's just a matter of time, live for the moment folks, the future is bleak.

So, succession planning????????????? I ain't bothered, we'll be feeder clubs to the Anglo-French carve up.

*** I like foreigners, not keen on troublemakers.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Its hard to argue with baggy there... well not hard as he's still a curmudgeon, but hes our curmudgeon. He makes valid points, pro rugby is about to outgrow the IRFU
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Irish Rugby is dying................... it's hair, it's moustache but most significantly, it's dying on it's feet through increasing costs and stagnant/diminishing revenue.

Money taken from Mexican & Ulster budgets this year, Munster have almost bankrupt the whole bloody thing. >THUH

The only solution is an injection of private money, I'm willing but sadly a pauper, pending the results of the Euromillions this week. >EW

Succession planning in the main is a business concept, FIRFU have no concept of business, planned or otherwise, continually wasting money on yesterday's officials being kept in the style to which their wives would like to be accustomed, hiring in troublemaking foreigners*** and the likes, and having bluffers at provincial level who will tell you the amatuer game is thriving when male adult rugby is going down the shitter in terms of numbers.

We're off to Hell in a handcart it's just a matter of time, live for the moment folks, the future is bleak.

So, succession planning????????????? I ain't bothered, we'll be feeder clubs to the Anglo-French carve up.

Best post that I have read in a long time. Sad but true.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Rooster wrote:
rocky wrote:The number and quality of NIQ players next season will not be determined by the IRFU - it will be determined by money or, rather, lack of money.
Rocky, surely the IRFU determine the money so in effect they still control the lack of it to pay for a NIQ
The IRFU give us around 40% of our total income now. The number of central contracts (the ones they pay for) is at its lowest for years. They say who we can have or not but, if we could raise the money and Nucifecker doesn't veto it, we could have four big-name NIQs. The problem is that we don't have the money any more, in part because the IRFU is giving us less.
Bo***cks to Brexit
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Dan Dare wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Irish Rugby is dying................... it's hair, it's moustache but most significantly, it's dying on it's feet through increasing costs and stagnant/diminishing revenue.

Best post that I have read in a long time. Sad but true.
which means more people should get back to their local club or rock up for the first time. The rugby is decent craic and the beer is much cheaper :stout: