Vs Ospreys 01-10-16

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Re: Vs Ospreys 01-10-16

Post by 222toHounslow »

Rory is an open side flanker.

That's not rhyming slang by the way.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
Rovi Snave wrote:I think Rory needs to earn his spot back - feel much more comfortable with Rob at hooker :duck:
They both have advantages, Rob certainly more reliable at lineouts
Good to have Rory on for the up the jumper stuff at the death on Fri.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rovi Snave wrote:I think Rory needs to earn his spot back - feel much more comfortable with Rob at hooker :duck:
Look, I like Red as much as the next man............... but let's be clear, he's no Rory Best.

What is he? He's the second best hooker in Ireland. Here's the thing, props thank you for telling them to scrummage with Rory Best.

For most of the rest of it, there isn't much between them, even lineout chucking, Rory gets a bad name whilst Ulster's lineout is regularly at or near the top in the SDC & Pro12 stats.

You'd think that no other hooker in world rugby ever had a throw picked off to hear some gowling about Rory. :scratch:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Herring is a super player and there are zero concerns when he plays, but Rory brings a lot to the table.
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

Is Rodney due a rest? He will surely start next week in Galway and the 2 European games.
I would think Richard Lutton must be close to full fitness. If so should Rodney have a complete week off.
Robbie Diack will probably get a call back as he had a week off in Glasgow.
Les likes to use all his squad and rightly so. Just keeps all on their toes.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Am I not right in saying Rodney only played 56 mins against the weegies? I know he was great, and I've been critical of his fitness levels, but I believe he needs game time to get the best outta him. He always looks like his oil light is on, but I think that's just how he looks. I wouldn't share my chips with him. I hope he plays the next three or four games, then maybe rest him.
I didn't think Le Mis was anywhere near a comeback, but if himself or AT were on the bench, it'd be another wee boost to the team. We must be scaring the bajeezus outta them Munters and The Girls in Blue at the AreDS. :red:
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Look, I like Red as much as the next man............... but let's be clear, he's no Rory Best.
:scratch:

Dunno about that...

I'd say they both have strengths, RB a bit better at the breakdown (although Herring ain't no slouch there either) - RH has much better wheels and I'd also say better hands. Of course, RB's scrummaging is renowned. But overall I wouldn't have much between them.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Amiga500 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Look, I like Red as much as the next man............... but let's be clear, he's no Rory Best.
:scratch:

Dunno about that...

I'd say they both have strengths, RB a bit better at the breakdown (although Herring ain't no slouch there either) - RH has much better wheels and I'd also say better hands. Of course, RB's scrummaging is renowned. But overall I wouldn't have much between them.
Without a doubt they are the best 2 all round hookers in Ireland
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

I reckon there will be some interesting calls TBH. I'd be tempted to see the following:

Warwick, Best, Ah You, Browne, Van der Merwe, Reidy, Diack, Henderson

Pienaar, PJ, Trimble, Cave, Piatau, Ludik, Payne

Bench of CRoss, Herring, Black, Kane, Marshall, Herron, Gilroy, O'Connor.

I think the IRFU will want some game time for the Irish boys as soon as they can and as such, assuming he is fit Trimble will play and so will Best as he needs to get a start under his belt. I agree Herring has been good, but he is no Rory Best and Joe can't have his Capn coming in under-cooked, nor can Ulster for the big games ahead. Maybe rightly or wrongly but I see the Ospreys at home as a bigger challenge at the moment than Connacht away. For that reason I think the big hitters need a run out in this match to allow a slightly weaker/more rotated team to take to the field in Galway with one eye on the Bordeaux game.

I'd love to see Piutau in the centre to see what he can do there. I believe that the IRFU will want Payne to play FB in the Autumn Internationals, as I along with others believe that he is the best FB in Ireland at the moment. I appreciate there our injuries in this area, but FB is a position where we are currently weaker in than in the centre where there are a number of players challenging for those positions who will be fit and healthy when required. That being said Louis will do a fine job at 13 and this may to allow Charlie to play out wide, or they may even be given the licence to change it up a bit - that will give the O's plenty to think about!
Last edited by Pimpmac on Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Joe schit is in a bit of a quandary I think, Bob K is fecked and also he is short on centres
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

One thing is clear and that is that Les Kiss has managed to produce some real advances among the also rans of previous seasons to such an extent that it is no longer possible to predict with certainty our best XV. Our "weak" pack that was the pre-season worry seems to have gone away.
He has perhaps been spared a few sleepless nights with our injury list among the backs which ironically has made, life a bit easier for him.
Browne , Clive Ross, Rodney and Ludik have all more than stepped up,to the mark.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Which one of AOC or the Inspector do you leave out of the squad this weekend?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:Which one of AOC or the Inspector do you leave out of the squad this weekend?
Give Tuohy another week.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

ruckover wrote:Which one of AOC or the Inspector do you leave out of the squad this weekend?
From watching the Leinster Ospreys match it certainly does look like Ospreys played nowhere near to their potential, now whether that was down to how good Leinster were is a different matter.

A team with a half back pairing of Webb and Biggar will be dangerous if their forwards can get on top of our own.

Lets face it we havn't met an oustanding pack yet. Ospreys will most likely have Dan Lydiate back fit. A second row of Bradley Davies and Alun Wyn The Cheat combined with other welsh internationals Tipuric, King, James and Baldwin make this on paper the best pack by a distance we have come up against this season. Yes.... on paper!

I wouldn't mind seeing a six two split on the bench to give us that extra forward to call upon and given the versatility of our likely starting backs with both Ludik and Piutau able to cover 11 to 15, it should be food for thought.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
From watching the Leinster Ospreys match it certainly does look like Ospreys played nowhere near to their potential, now whether that was down to how good Leinster were is a different matter.

A team with a half back pairing of Webb and Biggar will be dangerous if their forwards can get on top of our own.

Lets face it we havn't met an oustanding pack yet. Ospreys will most likely have Dan Lydiate back fit. A second row of Bradley Davies and Alun Wyn The Cheat combined with other welsh internationals Tipuric, King, James and Baldwin make this on paper the best pack by a distance we have come up against this season. Yes.... on paper!

I wouldn't mind seeing a six two split on the bench to give us that extra forward to call upon and given the versatility of our likely starting backs with both Ludik and Piutau able to cover 11 to 15, it should be food for thought.
They might have a lot of Welsh players but they are not wearing red shirts so they might not bother turning up
Rory Best