GAA in Fleg and anthum debate

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: GAA in Fleg and anthum debate

Post by BaggyTrousers »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:My own county anthem (never knew we had them :shock: ) knocks the bejaysus out of all others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GbdB7PlGtc
That's the wan... Baggy, do they even sing that in the garden centres of North Down? :shock: :duck: >EW
Nah, not the wans I go to anyway. I may often be found in Donaghadump GC with a black coffee & a white woman.(no golf club >EW )
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

As much as the irelands call ditty gets slated, I've noticed a nice sense of fervour in the the younger irish players when singing. I don't know if this is a 'just glad to be here effect' or a genuine this is our anthem.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Interesting display of tolerance from one of the GAA's more vocal traditionalist mouthpiece's.. if you change the Gael rhetoric, it could almost be the most strident OO defender talking:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 65972.html

The usual bland buffoonish rubbish that the Tricolour is an emblem of the peaceful coming together of the green and "orange"... nice line in stereotyping that all from the "other" community, presumably Unionist (maybe black Proddie) have an orange affiliation as symbolised in the non divisive tricolour, despite the fact that a "Unionist" may be:
Not actually in the OO (ie most)
Not "non-Gaels" whatever ethnicity that might actually be or represent? (Bit like the Germans and their Aryan spiel.)
Not Proddies/English/ West Brits/ Planters
Athiest or agnostics
"Pragmatic" Unionists ie people with a non-Unionist, maybe even a traditional moderate nationalist or non-irish background that find the Union offers a more financially or culturally attractive model currently than a Yeatsian "Gaelic" utopian United Ireland... a bit like the floating middle
Alliance voters
Garden Centre Prods/Unionists from North Down

So is Brolley the norm or a Reactionary traditionalist minority rump of GAA opinion? Because so far, I remain unconvinced about anything the GAA utters in terms of "reconciliation."
Jarlaith Burns, who at least makes an effort to understand how the GAA are perceived in other cultures, gets flak from Mr Brolley for trying to cross the Rubicon. The ladies not for turning I suspect >EW

a checklist of how similar the GAA and OO are in all but actual religious iconography and colour of flegs would make for an interesting comparison...
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Interesting display of tolerance from one of the GAA's more vocal traditionalist mouthpiece's.. if you change the Gael rhetoric, it could almost be the most strident OO defender talking:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 65972.html

The usual bland buffoonish rubbish that the Tricolour is an emblem of the peaceful coming together of the green and "orange"... nice line in stereotyping that all from the "other" community, presumably Unionist (maybe black Proddie) have an orange affiliation as symbolised in the non divisive tricolour, despite the fact that a "Unionist" may be:
Not actually in the OO (ie most)
Not "non-Gaels" whatever ethnicity that might actually be or represent? (Bit like the Germans and their Aryan spiel.)
Not Proddies/English/ West Brits/ Planters
Athiest or agnostics
"Pragmatic" Unionists ie people with a non-Unionist, maybe even a traditional moderate nationalist or non-irish background that find the Union offers a more financially or culturally attractive model currently than a Yeatsian "Gaelic" utopian United Ireland... a bit like the floating middle
Alliance voters
Garden Centre Prods/Unionists from North Down

So is Brolley the norm or a Reactionary traditionalist minority rump of GAA opinion? Because so far, I remain unconvinced about anything the GAA utters in terms of "reconciliation."
Jarlaith Burns, who at least makes an effort to understand how the GAA are perceived in other cultures, gets flak from Mr Brolley for trying to cross the Rubicon. The ladies not for turning I suspect >EW

a checklist of how similar the GAA and OO are in all but actual religious iconography and colour of flegs would make for an interesting comparison...
Joe Brolly likes to :stir:, loves the sound of his own voice and has established himself as a self-styled Supergael. He does some good things and often talks sense, but he's an insufferable arsehat.
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Aogán Ó Fearghail: 'Flags and anthems won't be scrapped'

GAA President Aogán Ó Fearghail has clarified comments made regarding the playing of anthems and the flying of flags at venues throughout the country, stating that such practices remain a "precious part" of the Association.

Earlier this week, while speaking in the UAE on the GAA/GPA Football All Stars tour, Ó Fearghail referenced the possibilty that the GAA would be open to change in relation to the use of Amhrán na bhFiann and the Irish flag in anticipation of potential new post-Brexit agreements in Ireland.

“The flag and the anthem means a lot to the GAA and will continue to do so, but who knows in the future? In the future, if there are different agreements in place for the whole of Ireland, of course the GAA would be inclusive in that," Ó Fearghail said.

However, in an interview on RTÉ Radio's Saturday Sport, the Cavan native made it clear that the GAA would never envisage scrapping flags and anthems.

"Flags and anthems won't be scrapped - and that is for sure," he said.

“I was asked a question in the context of World GAA and the question I was asked was when we go around the world our flag flies happily alongside the flags of every nation.

"They will remain very strongly part of our culture and games, both in Ireland and around the world"

“It never causes an issue anywhere. A journalist simply asked me about that. I said there was no issue with the flag flying around the world, the only place where it has ever caused some issues is back in our own country.

“I was asked a further question from a journalist, would the GAA change its position at home regarding flying the flag and playing the anthem? I replied we wouldn't, that it was very much part and parcel of our culture, it was very much valued by us and that it was a key part of our heritage and it will remain.

“I did offer the opinion, that who knows what may happen in the future. We all aspire to, certainly within the GAA, to a new unified Ireland, it is something that we would welcome, it is something that we would be very happy to see happening.

“In those new political realities which hopefully will happen, who knows what may happen in the future? That was very much in the realms of speculation as to a new future."

"As of now, flags and anthems are a very precious part of our culture and games. They will remain very strongly part of our culture and games, both in Ireland and around the world."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/1203/ ... fearghail/
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: The usual bland buffoonish rubbish that the Tricolour is an emblem of the peaceful coming together of the green and "orange"... nice line in stereotyping that all from the "other" community, presumably Unionist (maybe black Proddie) have an orange affiliation as symbolised in the non divisive tricolour, despite the fact that a "Unionist" may be:
Isn't it odd that the only place in the world the tricolour & anthem is regarded as devisive is in one small corner of the island of Ireland.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

TMHG wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote: The usual bland buffoonish rubbish that the Tricolour is an emblem of the peaceful coming together of the green and "orange"... nice line in stereotyping that all from the "other" community, presumably Unionist (maybe black Proddie) have an orange affiliation as symbolised in the non divisive tricolour, despite the fact that a "Unionist" may be:
Isn't it odd that the only place in the world the tricolour & anthem is regarded as devisive is in one small corner of the island of Ireland.
Not odd at all. Wave a confederate flag in some parts of the states or a Spanish flag in some small parts of spain and see what happens. Flags and anthems are used the world over to define a particular sect/race/nationality and when they are used in a conflict situation become part of the problem. At the same time anyone who goes out of their way to be annoyed by either is a a bit of a tw*t.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

TMHG wrote:
Would that be the country in which it's not the constutionally and internationally recognised flag TMHG? How would the flag of NI be greeted if flown in Dublin?
Interesting you don't put forth any worthwhile input or rejoinder other than your facile comment. Your either incredibly niave, stupid or just a trolling pr*ck. I plump for the latter :terror:
Exterminate all rational thought
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I'm still confused. Does the GAA make every club play this song before every game and fly that flag?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:I'm still confused. Does the GAA make every club play this song before every game and fly that flag?
It would appear so Russ
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
Russ wrote:I'm still confused. Does the GAA make every club play this song before every game and fly that flag?
It would appear so Russ
Sounds like the makings of fascism to me
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Good to see folk still have strong opinions on flegz.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:Good to see folk still have strong opinions on flegz.
I hate fascists
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:Good to see folk still have strong opinions on flegz.
I hate fascists
And their flegz
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

The Grab All Association are as progressive as the DUP.
At local level they do some great work, but County rules club and can dictate who the Club signs up to play.
Hence the rift in Tyrone last year when County dictated to a Club, which had refused to sign a convicted criminal on moral grounds, to sign him because the County wanted him to play, which he couldn't do without being a club member.
I've been to Healy Park many times and enjoyed myself, but the friends I tagged along with no longer go and most of their neighbours gave it up after that debacle.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.