A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by againstthehead »

Election day is here! Anyone voting who normally doesn't? I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that this forum should be dominated by middle-class, garden-center prods who don't vote. Has RHI influenced you or you just couldn't be fekked? Robinson got hammered in East Belfast after his scandal so an interesting day ahead.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I've voted (7.30am) but wish to make it clear that whilst I spend the occasional £ or two in B&Q on 10% off Wednesdays (spent nothing in it yesterday as I was delivering target letters for my favourite political party) my garden did not get where it is today by me frequenting Garden Centres. I much prefer to take cuttings of plants from friends gardens or getting parts of plants when they are dividing up plants that spread each year, and even getting surplus wee seedlings when friends have too many in a tray.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:I've voted (7.30am) but wish to make it clear that whilst I spend the occasional £ or two in B&Q on 10% off Wednesdays (spent nothing in it yesterday as I was delivering target letters for my favourite political party) my garden did not get where it is today by me frequenting Garden Centres. I much prefer to take cuttings of plants from friends gardens or getting parts of plants when they are dividing up plants that spread each year, and even getting surplus wee seedlings when friends have too many in a tray.
Does Trevor Brennan go to the garden centre?
It's the hope that kills you.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Usually just ignore the things that come up on the right hand side of my Facebook page in the Sponsored bar section. Todays was Christopher Stalford of the DUP. Wasn't having him there smiling at me all day so for the first time I have removed such an advert. Easy to do but Facebook ask you why. I ticked the "Its offensive and inappropriate" box. :)
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The 45.82% who don't vote are as responsible for the state we're in as the SF and DUP voting knuckleheads.
I voted down the sheet with the obvious exceptions.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:The 45.82% who don't vote are as responsible for the state we're in as the SF and DUP voting knuckleheads.
I think disenchantment with the current undemocratic system (how do you vote to get rid of a health or education secretary for example :scratch: ) and a reluctance to vote for the TUV is a valid reason for being part of the 45.8% (that's nearly 3 times the number of DUP voters).
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
horslips
Initiate

Post by horslips »

Well recent events got me out to vote. Until now I have never voted in an assembly or general election and therefore quite rightly can be blamed as being part of the 45% or so who have allowed Stormont to be hijacked by useless twunts. Without being specific I voted in a manner that I hope gives the best chance to those prepared to work together and does the most hurt to the Shinners and Dupers. The other criteria applied was that if the candidate has by his actions or words proved to be a complete dick then there was no vote.

I doubt it will make a blind bit of difference given the scare tactics deployed at every election by the Dupers and Shinners, designed to drive the masses into the respective Orange and Green camps but I'll sleeo a bit better!
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:The 45.82% who don't vote are as responsible for the state we're in as the SF and DUP voting knuckleheads.
I think disenchantment with the current undemocratic system (how do you vote to get rid of a health or education secretary for example :scratch: ) and a reluctance to vote for the TUV is a valid reason for being part of the 45.8% (that's nearly 3 times the number of DUP voters).
Disenchantment I can relate to, but we discussed this in our house last night and couldn't get past our duty to do the right thing, despite the lack of enthusiasm for the whole thing or chances of a good outcome.
So we all went out and >flog >flog >flog
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

horslips wrote:The other criteria applied was that if the candidate has by his actions or words proved to be a complete dick then there was no vote.
I'd be down to the fingers on one hand (with a few spare) if I applied that criterium. :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Usually just ignore the things that come up on the right hand side of my Facebook page in the Sponsored bar section. Todays was Christopher Stalford of the DUP. Wasn't having him there smiling at me all day so for the first time I have removed such an advert. Easy to do but Facebook ask you why. I ticked the "Its offensive and inappropriate" box. :)
Ive been reporting the DUP posts for Hate Crimes for a month now

They stopped recently and FB haven't closed any investigation

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

With all due respect to those who 'vote down the ballot', while making a (fairly anonymous and private) statement, there comes a point in most ballot papers where it becomes a waste of time.

I accept that there is a feel good factor in omitting a particular candidate/party, but some candidates are simply unelectable (I wish more were, if I'm honest)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

On a slightly more public statement. My constituency is gifted with an independent candidate who appears to have no literature, website or any 'presence' other than his name on the ballot. I have therefore no idea what he stands for, should I take the risk and put him 1st preference on the basis that a leap into total darkness is preferred to anything that the others are suggesting?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:With all due respect to those who 'vote down the ballot', while making a (fairly anonymous and private) statement, there comes a point in most ballot papers where it becomes a waste of time.
Depends on your order. It's not that unusual for the counts to go into double figures.

Taking Snipes point a stage further, if you had 100 NI people representative of the voting at the last election, you'd have:

16 Duppers
15 Shinners
7 UUP
7 SDLP
4 Alliance
2 TUV
1 PBP
1 UKIP
1 Green
1 Other

45 who did not vote

Don't let anybody tell you they've got a mandate.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:
BR wrote:With all due respect to those who 'vote down the ballot', while making a (fairly anonymous and private) statement, there comes a point in most ballot papers where it becomes a waste of time.
Depends on your order. It's not that unusual for the counts to go into double figures.

Taking Snipes point a stage further, if you had 100 NI people representative of the voting at the last election, you'd have:

16 Duppers
15 Shinners
7 UUP
7 SDLP
4 Alliance
2 TUV
1 PBP
1 UKIP
1 Green
1 Other

45 who did not vote

Don't let anybody tell you they've got a mandate.
Once your vote has transferred to all those electable, it matters not a jot if you stop there or go through the remainder. (Exception being as outlined above, where a '1' for an unelectable candidate will transfer to your '2' at 100% but will rob him of the opportunity to add you to his tally of '1st preference votes' - a stat which they like to quote in the regular 'Stormont who can pss highest' competitions.)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:Once your vote has transferred to all those electable, it matters not a jot if you stop there or go through the remainder.
That's true enough if the "electable" tend to be at the top of your list. Tends to be the other way round for me, so my vote, or parts thereof, tend to filter quite far down the list. There were 12 counts in my constituency in the last election. Somebody's transfers were still playing a part by Round 12.
Big Neville Southall