Welsh U16 rugby

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Welsh U16 rugby

Post by BR »

Just watching Scarlets East U16 V Scarlets West U16 on S4C.

Now I know it's not a fair comparison, but Christ these guys are playing an infinitely better game than anything we are seeing at schools level.

I don't know how these teams are organised, or if the boys normally play for local clubs, or what, but they look better organised than some senior teams with whom I am familiar.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Welsh U16 rugby

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:Just watching Scarlets East U16 V Scarlets West U16 on S4C.

Now I know it's not a fair comparison, but Christ these guys are playing an infinitely better game than anything we are seeing at schools level.

I don't know how these teams are organised, or if the boys normally play for local clubs, or what, but they look better organised than some senior teams with whom I am familiar.
BR suggest if you can get it, that you take a look at the Leinster Schools final on Paddy's Day, it looks more like decent Pro12 level compared to our usual schools final, then we wonder why their academy is thriving. I blame MCB.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

BR suggest if you can get it, that you take a look at the Leinster Schools final on Paddy's Day, it looks more like decent Pro12 level compared to our usual schools final, then we wonder why their academy is thriving. I blame MCB.
I blame Inst

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

It may not be the universal practice throughout Wales but in Cardiff most schools seem to play inter schools' sports' matches during the week which allows the pupils to play for their club teams at weekends. My understanding would be that the local clubs and the WRU have more 'say' in how all under-age rugby is organised than the schools ; ie unlike here where winning the Schools' Cup in The Holy Grail and nothing else matters.

To be fair to the schools who are the traditional big hitters in the Ulster Schools Cup competition , this fixation is not a purely Ulster phenomenon. Indeed, especially in Leinster, winning the Junior (JCT) and Senior Cup (SCT) are a far 'bigger deal' and engender rivalries which are verging on the toxic. However , despite the Leinster schools' also gearing their season towards winning cups they are still able to constantly produce a bigger number of good players than our schools do.

The WRU , possibly in conjunction with individual schools/institutions , have recently begun to place rugby development officers (HUBs) in schools/ colleges and universities throughout Wales in an attempt to improve playing standards and increase the level of participation.
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Mcb very likely to play a similar style to Ulster next year I'd say.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

I caught a bit back when it was on Setanta. I have to say though, these boys (16 year olds) looked a step above that.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

dublane wrote:Mcb very likely to play a similar style to Ulster next year I'd say.
Doak and Clarke have to go somewhere right?

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Russ wrote:
dublane wrote:Mcb very likely to play a similar style to Ulster next year I'd say.
Doak and Clarke have to go somewhere right?

Doak meet with Wells two weeks ago.

It won't happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Sniffer Clarke and Nasty Wells have a lot more in common. They'd make a beautiful coaching ticket at MCB.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
The best two Dublin teams are in the RDS Final. Belvo have 11 boys back from last years Senior Cup win and fought off Clongowes on a wet, dank cold miserable Donnybrook.
Rock are a team full of big muscular individuals. They powered away in the early second half against a lighter but smart Gonzaga in the other semi. Better game to watch than the first semi.

I reckon Belvo have the edge in handling the football over the Rock.
The final should to be a belter.

Quarter finals and Semis played on artificial pitches and a female referee on show. We're light years behind.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

I blame Inst

I blame them both
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

lw7 wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
The best two Dublin teams are in the RDS Final. Belvo have 11 boys back from last years Senior Cup win and fought off Clongowes on a wet, dank cold miserable Donnybrook.
Rock are a team full of big muscular individuals. They powered away in the early second half against a lighter but smart Gonzaga in the other semi. Better game to watch than the first semi.

I reckon Belvo have the edge in handling the football over the Rock.
The final should to be a belter.

Quarter finals and Semis played on artificial pitches and a female referee on show. We're light years behind.
Final Belvedere 10 Blackrock 3

Only Score - At 21 mins the Belvo 10 threaded a low googly needle ball inside the Rock 22 to the goal line and much vaunted running Rock fullback made a horlicks attempt to grab the football. Belvo pounced.
Intense 2nd half. Rock threw the Kitchen sink. Rock were camped on the Belvo line at the very end of the match. Belvo sandbagged manfully and Blackrock were held up over the line as the final play in the game.
The weather conditions were a lot worst than in Belfast.
Not as entertaining as previous finals.