Injury Update

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

clivemcl
Novice

Re: Injury Update

Post by clivemcl »

This is Coetzee's initial treatment of the knee injury. Footage switches to shows the Zebre kick but then comes back to Coetzee's treatment. You see Coetzee getting a wee slap on the leg, and the medic/physio get up to leave. Coetzee doesn't get up but continues to talk to them. It looks to me like he was surprised he was being allowed to play on. Either way, it's surely an idiotic call not to exercise caution at this point. But unfortunately, the complaint worsened 6 minutes later. For the duration of those 6 minutes, Coetzee avoided contact and ball carrying and was obviously limping. It all makes me rather furious.

https://youtu.be/5uHdEGyV7KU?t=17m32s
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

UlsterNo9 wrote:If it is another nine months then the insurance policy will cover Marcells wages. Given that we haven't been paying his wages up until his return there should be money in the pot for a decent medical joker on a 12 month contract if true.

Maybe just maybe we could tempt someone for next season, nobody of note will be available until end of the season.
No9.... We have been paying his full wages since the start of the season.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Horribly cynical if UR are holding off because STs go on sale tomorrow. The unofficial source on Twitter says it is his ACL. Still hopeful it's not true, but as Baggy says, the silence from UR is worrying.
Good luck with selling STs this year. I'd be amazed if there isn't a significant drop.

Away outta that Merv, I'm buying one ..............in Arno & Hond I trust.

Such a lot of fickle moaning minnies. :red: :fleg: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#brill'r'us
Are you still gonna be here :shock:

This has been the longest goodbye since Raymond Chandler >EW
I didn't want it all to be about me, however I may as well tell you that the Spanish Government having already scammed €70000 out of me by upholding a building contract clearly not according to Spanish law, now threaten to rob many more thousands of euros from a UK tax free lump sum Mrs T received in January, if we go there in the current tax - Jan - Dec 2017, so we must persevere in this vile wee statelet until January next. It's far too significant for folk on meagre stipends such as Mrs Trousers & I.

I had intended to keep my ticket anyway for the use of friends & my occasional return, problem with a stand ticket, give it up & you'll never get the same one again.

Anyway, for the edumication of all, I have extensively researched Marcell's knee. Is it the same one? Was it the right or the left? Well it is the same knee as he injured playing for the Sharks last year.

Ah I here you say, not so bad maybe? Well that is possible but Marcell missed the 2015 RWC having injured his knee against Argentina in August 2015 and I can't find out which one. What I did find out was that he also missed the NZ test in July 2015 with .........you guessed it, clever boy ........... a knee injury. Bit of a trend eh?

Shame, the guy is clearly a great player, I wish him well.

I hope someone at Spanners will also be telling a certainbastard in D4 not to feck us about this time , Munster, Munster & Munster are the words to use to the swine. We need a player next season, simple as that. IF Marcell recovers well, fair enough.

Huge disquiet at Stade Francais, the players have decided to go on strike over the merger with Racing. Anyone worthwhile?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Cockatrice wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:If it is another nine months then the insurance policy will cover Marcells wages. Given that we haven't been paying his wages up until his return there should be money in the pot for a decent medical joker on a 12 month contract if true.

Maybe just maybe we could tempt someone for next season, nobody of note will be available until end of the season.
Strange that Oldings wages were paid in full by insurance for both of his long term injuries. May have something to do with him being here from day dot. If you're advising Ulster rugby couldn't get insurance to cover his wages then the alarm bells should have been ringing pre contract.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

Strange that Oldings wages were paid in full by insurance for both of his long term injuries. May have something to do with him being here from day dot. If you're advising Ulster rugby couldn't get insurance to cover his wages then the alarm bells should have been ringing pre contract.
It's not much of a stretch to suppose that Marcell wasn't insured by UR when his injury occurred so he wasn't covered, but if he has done his knee again, he will be covered now.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Willem Alberts?
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

Olding was here playing, contracted and insured with us at time of injuries. Coetzee on other hand was announced as coming here the following year in January and then got injured playing for the Sharks in April (I think) so he was contracted and presumably insured by them.

It may be a case that his Sharks insurance paid his wages until got playing again no matter what club he was playing for. I would imagine that his insurance premiums went through the roof when it came to Ulster getting that sorted given his commodity as a professional athletic and risk to injury even same.

Of course UR's medical then confirmed him fit enough to sign even at a time when he was still recovering from a serious injury and was several months away from being able to take to field again. I know science has moved on and it is much easier to now tell after an operation that things look good... but also suspect it doesn't come with a 100% guarantee that yep you will definitely be able to play top class rugby in 9 months no question..

As such we must have taken a punt based on a risk assessment that the op went well and that medical advice was the chances of this ever happening again are slim and that he would be back playing top class rugby the same as before.. notwithstanding Olding and his first match back being a one in 150 year probability this experience seems to have lasted 3 games..

I happen to think he may not have been managed back in the manner that he should have but that is based on the expertise offered by being a member of this site (and that doesn't count for much). A wet awkward pitch against undoubtedly the poorest side ever to play at Ravenhill apart from Malone 5th's so why not ease him back with a couple of game,s bit of rest and build him slowly for the bigger games ahead. Even after injured we allowed him to play on (again on a very dangerous pitch) and supposedly with the instant data that monitors each player highlighting every dip to prevent injury.. Somebody wasn't doing his job somewhere.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Strange that, I have heard different news on Olding and how he has been remunerated, however since it was not my business & not the business of any of you, I shall not go further, save to say that it does not appear he has been on what you people would perhaps call, full remuneration.

As an aside, I thought he showed glimpses that he is absolutely the right man for back up 10.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:

Olding was here playing, contracted and insured with us at time of injuries. Coetzee on other hand was announced as coming here the following year in January and then got injured playing for the Sharks in April (I think) so he was contracted and presumably insured by them.

It may be a case that his Sharks insurance paid his wages until got playing again no matter what club he was playing for. I would imagine that his insurance premiums went through the roof when it came to Ulster getting that sorted given his commodity as a professional athletic and risk to injury even same.

Of course UR's medical then confirmed him fit enough to sign even at a time when he was still recovering from a serious injury and was several months away from being able to take to field again. I know science has moved on and it is much easier to now tell after an operation that things look good... but also suspect it doesn't come with a 100% guarantee that yep you will definitely be able to play top class rugby in 9 months no question..

As such we must have taken a punt based on a risk assessment that the op went well and that medical advice was the chances of this ever happening again are slim and that he would be back playing top class rugby the same as before.. notwithstanding Olding and his first match back being a one in 150 year probability this experience seems to have lasted 3 games..

I happen to think he may not have been managed back in the manner that he should have but that is based on the expertise offered by being a member of this site (and that doesn't count for much). A wet awkward pitch against undoubtedly the poorest side ever to play at Ravenhill apart from Malone 5th's so why not ease him back with a couple of game,s bit of rest and build him slowly for the bigger games ahead. Even after injured we allowed him to play on (again on a very dangerous pitch) and supposedly with the instant data that monitors each player highlighting every dip to prevent injury.. Somebody wasn't doing his job somewhere.
As a point of information. Are players insured individually, or is there a blanket policy that covers the squad?
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

clivemcl wrote:This is Coetzee's initial treatment of the knee injury. Footage switches to shows the Zebre kick but then comes back to Coetzee's treatment. You see Coetzee getting a wee slap on the leg, and the medic/physio get up to leave. Coetzee doesn't get up but continues to talk to them. It looks to me like he was surprised he was being allowed to play on. Either way, it's surely an idiotic call not to exercise caution at this point. But unfortunately, the complaint worsened 6 minutes later. For the duration of those 6 minutes, Coetzee avoided contact and ball carrying and was obviously limping. It all makes me rather furious.

https://youtu.be/5uHdEGyV7KU?t=17m32s
Clive if you look at the footage you will note he goes down the final time not in contact but when he takes a step from the line towards the play.. His leg goes instantly.

Appears totally foolish to let a player stay on for 5-7 minutes or whatever it was, especially after 2-3 matches back from a serious injury to the same knee. Whilst these things can happen they happen to us too regular for my liking..
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I (very briefly) tried to play on when I broke my fib playing footy.

I then limped to the touchline and hung around for 25 minutes until half time when I was asked if I was OK to come back on. I declined on the basis that my leg was still broken and managed to persuade a teammate to drive me to hospital (in his Mini).

Toe to groin plaster in those days. Got me out of lectures for a good while.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Who was the medic on Saturday? It wasn't Michael or Dave.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:Who was the medic on Saturday? It wasn't Michael or Dave.
Wasn't me.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

If it's the same knee, are there any guarantees it can even be successfully repaired again? The general talk of a 9 month recovery periodic, will obviously be from the date of any operation he requires and we don't know when this operation will take place.
I know surgical technology is constantly advancing, but do we have examples of any professional sportspersons recovering successfully from a second ACL injury on the same leg?
IF they can fix our Beast and IF he gets the op quickly, he could be back for Jan 2018. That will give Nucifecker all he needs to again refuse us a replacement. Meantime Bryn should be digging out his Jean Claude and Marie-Clare, French O level book.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I cant believe they tried to strap it up for him to continue. I wasnt sure if it was the same leg as before but the F*CKING MEDICS would have known.