Manchester

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Manchester

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Cheap point scoring, pox on my house you are the one who has lost the plot Snipe.
Shouldn't you be wishing that on perpetrators of such crimes really but hey if you see me as the problem maybe a rethink is required and some degree of perspective.
Its easy to preach from a high tower but please remember how you would have felt when an outsider to the troubles provided a solution similar to, 'why can't you all just get along?'

To be fair I think this attack could be the straw that broke the camels back and I have seen them speaking out against this attacks
I think there's a lot of them sitting now feeling they could have done more to out this latest loser as all the clues were there.
These guys must come forward from now on and their communities should be encouraging them to do so.
It is my one hope that this tragedy has opened people's eyes to this.

Wahhabism was identified as the route of this problem by a lady on gmtv this morning and I agree it's a source of the problem that must be addressed.
We in the West pander to the Saudis and it's due to an agreement that took place in 1945 between them and the USA when Roosevelt agreed to not touch their religion if they provided them Oil.
It was signed on the Bitter Lake and this extreme form of Islam has been allowed to go unchallenged since and has manifested itself into what we see today.
The Adam Curtis documentary of the same time should be compulsory viewing as I've said before.

Trump and previous administrations since have been pandering to them since including a Hillary Clinton arms deal worth 80 billion.
Their involvement in 9/11 was basically overlooked.
Trumps travel ban did not include them.
Noone is prepared to cut them adrift but they can't condone terrorist extremists without doing that.

The security services do a great job but the responsibility to fight this war is a collective from the top down.
Let me be very clear Jizzer, I agree with significant parts of what you say however please think a bit and answer this one question.

When you speak as if the whole Muslim population are the enemy of the rest of the people of the UK, does it ever occur to you that your attitude to them is precisely why so many of these headers are so susceptible to radicalisation in the first place?

Of course, I do not equate Bangor to big cities in the UK but I make it my business to say hello and smile at anyone who by accent, colour or otherwise do not hail from these parts, and though it may surprise you in my daily routine I typically would meet 10-20 such people. Being such a lovely liberal fellow, I'm convinced that if you welcome people into your community they are more likely to embrace it than if you marginalise and ignore them. Then again, from memory, you don't talk to people in London, feckin' shithole.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Snipe Watson wrote:A whole lot of cheap point scoring going on on this thread.
A pox on all your houses.

This is about murdered children.
Snipe, what I would say is that, surely, what it is actually about is making sure that more children, and indeed more people, aren't murdered in the future. Whether cheap or not, the importance of the politics that surrounds these matters is probably the most important component of that.

I think what I object to so much about what Bazz is saying is that it feeds into a narrative of "us and them"; and that is exactly the sort of thing that makes radicalisation easy. I could never understand how anyone could think it a legitimate strategy to target civilians, let alone children. I can understand, however, why someone would feel incredibly angry towards a state that he or she feels he/she was unfairly excluded from, or was never a part of.

Really, I think the biggest flaw in the logic of people like Bazz is that it always implies that these acts are random, based only on hatred of "the other" and with no rational foundation. That is, of course, entirely bogus. It betrays the question about what the bomber was hoping to achieve by murdering children and killing himself; and what IS were hoping to achieve by claiming responsibility. Bazz, and other who think that way, nearly always only ask the "how" question, not the "why". I think if one only asks the former question, one can easily come up with the sorts of solutions spouted in this thread; or spouted by Trump. The "how" comes down to "Muslims"; the associated policy recommendation, therefore, also comes down to little more than "Muslims". I don't doubt Bazz's heart is actually in the right place in terms of what he'd like to achieve; but I am appalled by his strategies, not least because they are obviously counter-productive.

As for the "why"; maybe I am guilty of being an economist and assuming there is some rationality behind every action but I actually think it is quite obvious. IS is dedicated to the foundation, formation and sustainability of a 'Caliphate'. They are not, like al-Quaeda, specifically dedicated to attempts to destabilise the West. Although it's impossible to separate the history of the two groups, one should not assume IS is a simple continuation of IS. Any attack attributable to IS, or claimed by IS, must be understood in the context of how it contributes to sustaining a 'Caliphate'. So, why does attacking children in Manchester, or at least claiming an attack that killed children in Manchester help sustain a 'Caliphate'? To me, the answer is quite obvious. IS arose in places where the state lost their Weberian monopoly on the use of violence; IS requires instability; what better way to ensure future instability than attempting to invite more international actors into an already-complex conflict environment?

Russia and Turkey have already played right into IS's hands, despite directly attacking the organisation. Both have, quite deliberately, engaged in other aspects of the Syrian civil war as well. Russia, in particular, has ensured that the conflict will endure significantly longer than it otherwise would have. This should be expected - civil wars with international actors tend to be much longer than those that remain domestic(1). Ironically enough, even if one can attack IS and IS only it is impossible to believe that this doesn't have knock-on effects in the conflict. It is, after all, the Kurds who stand to gain the most territory from an IS defeat. What's going to happen to all of that Kurdish territory when there is a resolution between the Assad government and the "rebels"? I think it would take someone with a strong stomach to think that it won't lead to a second civil war... Higher intensity of violence; more competing actors; more instability; all of these things are good for IS in the long-term. IS knows this; and has specifically targeted or claimed attacks in countries with a history of interventionism in the Middle East. These terrorist attacks, therefore, seem like little more than an attempt to increase public pressure on Western governments to intervene in Syria; and to scale up action against IS.

I know this seems counter-productive in some senses. Why would an organisation invite fire on itself, after all? Ironically enough, losing could be good for IS, or whatever it becomes next, in the long-term in this context. This is, I think, what is missing in these discussions. If in defeat, IS ensure more instability in the region, then there is an even greater power vacuum for its next iteration to grow strong in. Therefore, when people like Buzz clamour for revenge in the aftermath of attacks like those in Manchester, what they are (inadvertently) doing is putting pressure on governments to act, either at home or abroad. People's perceptions change in response to terrorist attacks(2) perhaps quite understandably. Those changes in perceptions, in turn, encourage governments to act in ways they otherwise wouldn't(3). In the context of what is written above, any action based on the demands of people like Bazz feeds directly into IS' hands. It rewards them for pursuing a strategy that results in children being murdered. If it rewards them, they will continue to pursue that strategy. If they continue to pursue that strategy... Whilst, at the same time, Bazz's demands for increasing the marginalisation of Muslim communities in the UK and elsewhere will provide plenty more recruits to carry out those attacks...

In these events, it is good to pause for a moment and to reflect on the victims; it always is. But the real reflection should be on how to prevent it happening to others in the future. In the context of how counter-productive the views espoused by Bazz are, and the racism and / or xenophobia implicit in them, I find it quite easy to be rankled and offended.

Now, if this is cheap point-scoring, I am happy to admit my guilt.

(1) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 221.x/full
(2) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 8011000681
(3) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 202.x/full
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Cheap point scoring, pox on my house you are the one who has lost the plot Snipe.
Shouldn't you be wishing that on perpetrators of such crimes really but hey if you see me as the problem maybe a rethink is required and some degree of perspective.
Its easy to preach from a high tower but please remember how you would have felt when an outsider to the troubles provided a solution similar to, 'why can't you all just get along?'

To be fair I think this attack could be the straw that broke the camels back and I have seen them speaking out against this attacks
I think there's a lot of them sitting now feeling they could have done more to out this latest loser as all the clues were there.
These guys must come forward from now on and their communities should be encouraging them to do so.
It is my one hope that this tragedy has opened people's eyes to this.

Wahhabism was identified as the route of this problem by a lady on gmtv this morning and I agree it's a source of the problem that must be addressed.
We in the West pander to the Saudis and it's due to an agreement that took place in 1945 between them and the USA when Roosevelt agreed to not touch their religion if they provided them Oil.
It was signed on the Bitter Lake and this extreme form of Islam has been allowed to go unchallenged since and has manifested itself into what we see today.
The Adam Curtis documentary of the same time should be compulsory viewing as I've said before.

Trump and previous administrations since have been pandering to them since including a Hillary Clinton arms deal worth 80 billion.
Their involvement in 9/11 was basically overlooked.
Trumps travel ban did not include them.
Noone is prepared to cut them adrift but they can't condone terrorist extremists without doing that.

The security services do a great job but the responsibility to fight this war is a collective from the top down.
Let me be very clear Jizzer, I agree with significant parts of what you say however please think a bit and answer this one question.

When you speak as if the whole Muslim population are the enemy of the rest of the people of the UK, does it ever occur to you that your attitude to them is precisely why so many of these headers are so susceptible to radicalisation in the first place?

Of course, I do not equate Bangor to big cities in the UK but I make it my business to say hello and smile at anyone who by accent, colour or otherwise do not hail from these parts, and though it may surprise you in my daily routine I typically would meet 10-20 such people. Being such a lovely liberal fellow, I'm convinced that if you welcome people into your community they are more likely to embrace it than if you marginalise and ignore them. Then again, from memory, you don't talk to people in London, feckin' shithole.
Look Baggy I want to make one thing clear I do not bracket all Muslims together.
I have great Muslim friends.
However let's be totally factual these radicals are allowed to exist and perpetrate their evil ways within those particular communities.

Yesterday I stated on here that someone somewhere must have seen some clue for attack of this nature to have taken place.
Sure enough people and leaders came forward since and said they had seen traits of extremism in the man.

There are apparently 3000 similar types of people in the UK on intelligence radars right now.
These are ones we know about.

We need people within their communities to come forward and not be vilified for doing so by their own people.

People were intimidated to come forward in a similar way here when the Catholic Church.were covering pedophiles within their ranks.
The more that came forward the less the threat became.

Rather than vilify these communities all I am saying is we need to oust these radicals out from within.
No longer is it an option to turn a blind eye though that is a London trait as much as anything.

Someone said the difference between this lot and the Ira was they were prepared to pull the pin on themselves.
There is another.
Isis now consider children a legitimate target and not just collateral damage.
I hope this is their Enniskillen and these communities now wake up and smell the coffee.
Judging by yesterday's reaction it may well be seen to be that way but as they say actions speak louder than words.

War on terror is a collective responsibility, I have never changed my stance on that despite my language being more emotive yesterday.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It's no different from the dissidents here, security services know them all but unless they catch them doing something they can't do anything to them except watch, problem with an Islamic extremist is you have only bits of him left when he heads out to perpetrate a crime.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

mikerob wrote:The neo-nazi nutter who planted bombs in gay pubs in the 90s made the bombs himself without an accomplice.
Please don't sign up to this 'lone Wolf theory'.
That's what they want you to think and this myth is part of the problem.

These guys are all part of a bigger network.
Allowing people to believe it is a lone Wolf does the following,
1. Allows security and intelligence agencies a way out for over sights and mistakes by saying nothing we do about it.
2. Allows governments to tow the same line and retreat to a politically correct standard
3. Most importantly it allows communities to shirk responsiblity. These people are not radicalised by Isis but ideology within these communities. Isis simply pluck the low hanging fruit.

Not my words but the the words of a former Islamic extremist interviwed on TV last night.
People need to take heed of him.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Actually, Bazz,the fella you cite last night is talking utter tom kite. The idea of centralised planning and terrorist networks died with the first incarnation of al-Qaeda; that's why it moved to the semi-autonomous cells post-9/11. Simply put, intelligence shut down the idea of centralised planning of terrorist attacks. Indeed, even the idea of planning in these semi-autonomous cells is breaking down. That is why attacks have been so arbitrary and improvised in recent times. The individuals who conduct the attacks may perceive that they belong to a wider network but they don't in the manner you seem to think. At best, it is a virtual network. Ironically, as scary as it is how random these attacks are, people should take comfort from that because it is the most obvious show that intelligence services are working.

Don't take my word for it, though - there's a whole array of academic literature on the structure of terrorist organisations out there. I'm sure they know more than some fella on the news whose only authority on the matter is his knowledge from when he was an extremist in a totally different environment and under totally different circumstances.

But again, why let anything that doesn't agree with your viewpoint stand in the way of spouting half-formed opinions in public, eh?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

bazzaj wrote:
mikerob wrote:The neo-nazi nutter who planted bombs in gay pubs in the 90s made the bombs himself without an accomplice.
Please don't sign up to this 'lone Wolf theory'.
That's what they want you to think and this myth is part of the problem.

These guys are all part of a bigger network.
Allowing people to believe it is a lone Wolf does the following,
1. Allows security and intelligence agencies a way out for over sights and mistakes by saying nothing we do about it.
2. Allows governments to tow the same line and retreat to a politically correct standard
3. Most importantly it allows communities to shirk responsiblity. These people are not radicalised by Isis but ideology within these communities. Isis simply pluck the low hanging fruit.

Not my words but the the words of a former Islamic extremist interviwed on TV last night.
People need to take heed of him.
Eash incident will be different, but has there been any evidence that the guy who killed people driving on the pavement over Westminster bridge was anything but a lone wolf?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... WTQTl9FuNw
Just a link above interesting article about lone wolves.

Your difference here Mike and Neil is that you are absolving responsibility from people who could prevent this from happening.

And Neil love the way you patronise me like I'm an uneducated fool because you have had an academic degree in a terrorist related subject.
Apparently your opinion is informed and educated whereas I just just 'spout'.

Not very liberal minded of you to persist in such an elitist tone but in keeping very much with modern hypocritical liberal behaviour.

Incidentally the author of the article is Jason Burke who was educated at Oxford University and has written 5 books on Islamic terrorism.
Hope he qualifies for you to consider his opinion.
Last edited by bazzaj on Wed May 24, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I think what worries them about this guy is the fact he had a pretty potent bomb and the big question is did he get lucky as it is not that simple to make a homemade reliable bomb or have they a master bomb maker somewhere packing rucksacks and giving them to nutters more than there being a dozen of these guys in a gang.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I think a further thing Rooster is that he was able to infiltrate and detonate said device at an huge public event without a single security measure picking him up.
Something I haven't heard really being discussed.
That surely must be a learning point in itself.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

bazzaj wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... WTQTl9FuNw
So, one journalistic piece trumps the vast body of academic research(1) that has defined and contextualised the term as a distinct typology of terrorism? Erm... Right...

(1)https://scholar.google.de/scholar?hl=en ... =lone-wolf
bazzaj wrote:And Neil love the way you patronise me like I'm an uneducated fool because you have had an academic degree in a terrorist related subject.
At no point have I made any comment on your opinion - rather, I have pointed you to references that credibly dispute it. Instead of interacting with that information, you have repeatedly moved the point of the discussion or repeated your earlier stance. At no point have I seen any evidence that you have done anything other than ignore credible information I've introduced to the discussion. Rather, you have used the vague topic as a springboard to introduce a new opinion on something only marginally related. Were you to actually engage with the opinions I've provided and the research they are grounded in, I might think you are doing more than 'spouting'. As it is, in the absence of such engagement, I can only assume you wish to continue to throw out your toxic opinions rather than actually engaging in a meaningful debate. Reducing it all to an ad hominem attack as you do by casting aspersions on me leads me to believe that you have no intentions on actually discussing the matter. On that basis, after this post I'm out.
bazzaj wrote:Incidentally the author of the article is Jason Burke who was educated at Oxford University and has written 5 books on Islamic terrorism.
As I said, Burke is a journalist. He is not a researcher; he is not an academic. I don't want to patronise you about the differences in writing between those two specialisms but let me say, simply, that journalism begins with a hypothesis and pulls together the information to support that hypothesis. When you start from a given position, it is very easy to find arguments that support it. Largely like you've done in this thread, actually... In short, though: no, I am unlikely to consider the opinion of a journalist, not least when that opinion stands in contrast to a large body of academic research.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:I think a further thing Rooster is that he was able to infiltrate and detonate said device at an huge public event without a single security measure picking him up.
Something I haven't heard really being discussed.
That surely must be a learning point in itself.
The alternative is our towns gated the way Belfast centre was in the 70 's and 80 's and that would not even work those loons will just explode at a bus stop, walking down the pavement or wherever and if they do get caught in a security check will go up on the spot, they are not conventional and very hard to stop when they head out on their mission.
Rory Best
Colin0395
Novice

Post by Colin0395 »

I have friends and colleagues that were among the first on scene to this, truly horrible and humbling stories of what they were faced with.

I dealt with a couple of young people who attended the arena and fortunately made it out without any visible injury. However, several young boys and girls will be bearing the emotional scars for life.

One image that will stay with me is a mum hugging her 14 year old daughter. If the daughter had left around 30 seconds earlier, things could have been much different.

I've skim read through some of the posts on here. This, and other attacks, is not the result of individuals believing in a certain religion. This is the evil work of sadistic individuals with a twisted ideology. It is wrong to tarnish one religious group as a result of these incidents.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:I think what worries them about this guy is the fact he had a pretty potent bomb and the big question is did he get lucky as it is not that simple to make a homemade reliable bomb or have they a master bomb maker somewhere packing rucksacks and giving them to nutters more than there being a dozen of these guys in a gang.
He went to Libya recently, so potentially he might have been shown how. If there is a bomb maker living in the UK and has supplied this kunt, then I can't imagine he will remain at large for long. Cameron's decision to cut police numbers is looking almost criminal. The billions wasted on trident should be invested in preventing further atrocities.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Neil F wrote:
bazzaj wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... WTQTl9FuNw
So, one journalistic piece trumps the vast body of academic research(1) that has defined and contextualised the term as a distinct typology of terrorism? Erm... Right...

(1)https://scholar.google.de/scholar?hl=en ... =lone-wolf
bazzaj wrote:And Neil love the way you patronise me like I'm an uneducated fool because you have had an academic degree in a terrorist related subject.
At no point have I made any comment on your opinion - rather, I have pointed you to references that credibly dispute it. Instead of interacting with that information, you have repeatedly moved the point of the discussion or repeated your earlier stance. At no point have I seen any evidence that you have done anything other than ignore credible information I've introduced to the discussion. Rather, you have used the vague topic as a springboard to introduce a new opinion on something only marginally related. Were you to actually engage with the opinions I've provided and the research they are grounded in, I might think you are doing more than 'spouting'. As it is, in the absence of such engagement, I can only assume you wish to continue to throw out your toxic opinions rather than actually engaging in a meaningful debate. Reducing it all to an ad hominem attack as you do by casting aspersions on me leads me to believe that you have no intentions on actually discussing the matter. On that basis, after this post I'm out.
bazzaj wrote:Incidentally the author of the article is Jason Burke who was educated at Oxford University and has written 5 books on Islamic terrorism.
As I said, Burke is a journalist. He is not a researcher; he is not an academic. I don't want to patronise you about the differences in writing between those two specialisms but let me say, simply, that journalism begins with a hypothesis and pulls together the information to support that hypothesis. When you start from a given position, it is very easy to find arguments that support it. Largely like you've done in this thread, actually... In short, though: no, I am unlikely to consider the opinion of a journalist, not least when that opinion stands in contrast to a large body of academic research.
I sure all your academic graphs diagrams and science about the likelyhood and risk of a terror attack will be of great comfort to the families of victims of the Manchester bombing, or Westminster Bridge or etc etc.

I also find your false racist accusations of me trying divide people ironic as that is exactly what you are attempting to do with me as a non liberal thinker.
That's the liberal mantra though to label people as a derogatory IST or ISM term when their views don't tally with their own.
Very subtley of course but I'm well aware that's your intention.

Further irony that you would criticise Trump for dismissing journalism views and you are doing exactly the same.
Is that irony or hypocrisy Neil or both?
You're the intellectual genius so you tell me.