The Big Gay Cake

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Big Gay Cake

Post by Dave »

My view is that religion is about control. Or at least there is a large controlling element of many religions. Especially Christianity. There is a lot of 'don't this or this will happen'. It's basically a negative consequence feedback loop. Of course if you do fcuk up, God will forgive you so you're back in the game. Hence the desire for Christians to legislate is possibly strong in some Bible belt areas. Letting go, I think, is especially hard when the desired law is in place but elitist leftist liberal lefty benefit scroungers want fcuking equality (kuntz).
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Conversation with an English ballbeg yesterday.

BB: There's too many of "them" in England.
BM: What's wrong with "them"?
BB: They've destroyed our culture.
BM: What exactly was this culture that you had before they arrived but don't have now?
BB: [long pause] ... white
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Dave wrote:My view is that religion is about control. Or at least there is a large controlling element of many religions. Especially Christianity. There is a lot of 'don't this or this will happen'. It's basically a negative consequence feedback loop. Of course if you do fcuk up, God will forgive you so you're back in the game. Hence the desire for Christians to legislate is possibly strong in some Bible belt areas. Letting go, I think, is especially hard when the desired law is in place but elitist leftist liberal lefty benefit scroungers want fcuking equality (kuntz).
I can kinda get this except the bible belt/right wing conservative types seem to be vehemently against control when it comes to loads of other things done by the state.

Another view is that their attitudes are shaped by the classic out-group/in-group view of the world. There is us'uns and themmuns and we need to stop themmuns doing what they want.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

mikerob wrote:
Dave wrote:My view is that religion is about control. Or at least there is a large controlling element of many religions. Especially Christianity. There is a lot of 'don't this or this will happen'. It's basically a negative consequence feedback loop. Of course if you do fcuk up, God will forgive you so you're back in the game. Hence the desire for Christians to legislate is possibly strong in some Bible belt areas. Letting go, I think, is especially hard when the desired law is in place but elitist leftist liberal lefty benefit scroungers want fcuking equality (kuntz).
I can kinda get this except the bible belt/right wing conservative types seem to be vehemently against control when it comes to loads of other things done by the state.

Another view is that their attitudes are shaped by the classic out-group/in-group view of the world. There is us'uns and themmuns and we need to stop themmuns doing what they want.
Control as in, big government nanny state type opposition and having to pay tax, yes. They have no problem, however, going to church every week listening to someone tell them they are going to hell if they don't do xyz...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Why oh why can people with these views not simply live their lives in accordance with their religious beliefs without always feeling the need to legislate based on said religious beliefs, and beyond reasonable doubt to inhibit the rights of others to conduct their lives as they feel appropriate within the law, and to legislate for and pass discriminatory laws?
Because snowflakes always like to take it upon themselves to feel offended by anything they don't like and because society has pandered to religious folk for centuries to the extent of privileging religion they understandably but ridiculously believe their feelings of offence are of any particular importance.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Religion can mean different things for different people. To the ruling classes, it is a means to relate to their subjects and to keep them in line. To a rising class, it teaches self-discipline and prepares it for future rule. To the masses, it teaches them to rest content in their lowly position.
Christianity demands the renunciation of freedom, pride, self-confidence of spirit, and much else besides. This Christian saintliness is best exemplified by the priestly type, who denies everything good in life and submits himself to isolation, humility, and chastity.
Nietzsche knew the game.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:Conversation with an English ballbeg yesterday.

BM: What exactly was this culture that you had before they arrived but don't have now?
Sounds like the Ardoyne

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Why oh why can people with these views not simply live their lives in accordance with their religious beliefs without always feeling the need to legislate based on said religious beliefs, and beyond reasonable doubt to inhibit the rights of others to conduct their lives as they feel appropriate within the law, and to legislate for and pass discriminatory laws?
Because snowflakes always like to take it upon themselves to feel offended by anything they don't like and because society has pandered to religious folk for centuries to the extent of privileging religion they understandably but ridiculously believe their feelings of offence are of any particular importance.
Snowflakes don't have feelings surely, as the drive or float their way to earth, each individual in their own wee way. Meanwhile back at your point; I very much doubt if any segment of humanity are quicker to take offence than the insane assholes of all religions who pollute the world, preaching love & brotherhood but hating all those they disagree with about ould beardie.

I'm just sad that I will not live in a time when religion is not given a special place in society and is properly recognised as a mental illness/coping mechanism for those who cannot face the reality of their own less than ordinary mortality.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Conversation with an English ballbeg yesterday.

Sounds like the Ardoyne

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sorry. Put this in the wrong thread. Surprisingly, the ballbeg wasn't homophobic.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snowflakes don't have feelings surely, as the drive or float their way to earth, each individual in their own wee way. Meanwhile back at your point; I very much doubt if any segment of humanity are quicker to take offence than the insane assholes of all religions who pollute the world, preaching love & brotherhood but hating all those they disagree with about ould beardie.

I'm just sad that I will not live in a time when religion is not given a special place in society and is properly recognised as a mental illness/coping mechanism for those who cannot face the reality of their own less than ordinary mortality.

To be fair I am not talking about all religious folks. Just the snowflakes who do think their feelings of offence are of any interest. I know plenty of religious people who have no desire to nose into anyone's business.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Feel free to be offended if the abuse is against you personally.

I still reserve the right to call your God a Warren Gatland. You don't need to be offended on his/her/it's behalf.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

To be fair I am not talking about all religious folks. Just the snowflakes who do think their feelings of offence are of any interest. I know plenty of religious people who have no desire to nose into anyone's business.
Then send them out from Limerick & Clare to purge the vast slew of religious arsholes all over the world to mend them and send one special envoy to Oz to boot the ballix off their Cardinal Kiddiefiddler, who finds himself in the unique position of saying he didn't do it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:Feel free to be offended if the abuse is against you personally.

I still reserve the right to call your God a Warren Gatland. You don't need to be offended on his/her/it's behalf.

Is it OK Merv if I'm offended on the behalf of my children who have in different ways been abused?

Of course, there is no God, but if there were, how in the name of fu'ck can he justify his existence when it appears the only people who thrive are the selfish in this world and so many bad things happen to good people. If I were doing his annual appraisal I'd tell his non-existence to smarten up his ideas and stop torturing the good & decent, lash out against scumbags with the odd well-aimed bolt of lightening & FFFS Beardie, quit with making up new diseases ever few years. I mean what the fu'ck Beardie do you get fun out of dead kids?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:Feel free to be offended if the abuse is against you personally.

I'm offended by your use of an apostrophe in your last sentence.

However, I will defend your right to offend me in such a way.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:

I'm offended by your use of an apostrophe in your last sentence.

However, I will defend your right to offend me in such a way.
Your correct - its right to be offended by improper use or even lack of apostrophes.

I will therefore defend you're right to be offended ......
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right