Pro 12 to become Pro 14 maybe Pro 15

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Pro 12 to become Pro 14 maybe Pro 15

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rugby Nomad wrote:The Pro12 also need to make sure they tie down the South Africans. My concern is that they are using it as a staging post to join the English. If this works out whats to stop all the SA teams quitting super rugby and joining the money league in England.
Your issue is reasonable, there is no reason why the Saffers would necessarily have an ounce of loyalty to the Celtic League who if I'm not mistaken own PRO12.

On the other hand, is it possible that 4,5 or 6 SA teams could be incorporated in English rugby without a massive overhaul of their structure? No doubt the clubs with the bigger voting rights of the premier league would happily ditch Newcastle, Sale, Bristol, L.Plastics and their likes if they thought the money made it worthwhile, but it would be complicated.

Once more I see more disparaging remarks about, "a pointless inter-pro friendly", and I'm aware that I am swimming against a considerable tide of opinion, much of it clueless in my opinion, given the greater excitement & attendance for these derby league games over the years. Not to mention the highly unlikely support it would need from the IRFU, given their usual short-sightedness but do people really think that it would be impossible to fit 3 periods of 2 games into what is looking like an extremely fractured season, do people really think that it would not make sense to look at inserting meaningful fixtures in a sponsored tournament, by say, Guinness or some other booze company, unless of course, the new adventure does turn into a 19 match league where only 12 fixtures actually count.

In the "12 conference matches plus 7 other league games" scenario, it appears they are talking only the conference results being what leads to the knockout games, so in reality, some of you, possibly all of you, just aren't thinking it through, because what in God's name are the other 7 games against non-conference opposition if not meaningless friendlies which count for nothing? Give me interpros anytime. They will bring punters through the gates, would a non-counting game against Zebre?

I very much doubt that the sectional interests of other countries, allied to the lack of wit of the IRFU, will bring sense to all of this so I expect to remain a voice of perfect sense, whistling Dixie up a narrow cul-de-sac on mine own.

G'wan yis witless fools. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

BaggyTrousers wrote:What is there to stop them being a meaningful competition. Most teams look like having 10 free weeks in addition to the weeks with no matches last season of which there were perhaps another 4/5 unless what the papers are mainly suggesting is bullshit.

Where have you seen the 7 matches against other conferences Neill_M, I've been travelling and may have missed it but that's not what I've seen?
The problem will be the FIRFU. Those free weeks will be filled with camp Joes in the run up to Japan 2019.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

rumour has it that the Sharks are also looking out of Super Rugby
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:rumour has it that the Sharks are also looking out of Super Rugby
I'd guess they will all be interested, Super Rugby has fallen on it's arsepeice and both gates & TV figures are through the floor. My guess is that conferences have a lot to do with that, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: no fans like them, they have made the competition a nonsense and merit has been thrown aside to a large extent. The Sunwolves are a disaster possibly other than in financial terms.

If you look at a globe rather than the misleading 2d world map, the Japs, Argies & NZ & Oz are not too far apart, SA apart from the hemisphere, more suitably aligns with Europe. Not much doubt about the direction of travel but will our guys fu'ck it up is the dodgy question. Take teams from a competition ruined by conferences and opt for - conferences. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Of course, Europe is where the money is, PRO12 excepted, SA could be our salvation for it was a matter of time before the status quo saw the PRO12 teams being scavenged for players, much as Italy already are, Tigers sign five Italians a few years back & France is a big escape route to better salaries.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

Announcement on this expected tomorrow..
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

What time?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Bbc reckons Tuesday
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bakebook is imploding.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Bakebook is imploding.
Business as usual there then :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote:
They reckon we will have 6 home games.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
I want my money back if we only have 6 games
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
The STs were sold on the basis of 11 Pro12 and 3 SDC games so I'd imagine you'd have a strong case if you don't get at least that.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Rooster wrote:
The STs were sold on the basis of 11 Pro12 and 3 SDC games so I'd imagine you'd have a strong case if you don't get at least that.
It could be interesting though if the full fine print is read, circumstances beyond control etc . Then there would be the matter if people had been informed properly and all the arguments and counter arguments.
It is though interesting that they are still selling tickets based on one friendly, 11 PRO12 and 3 Supa Dupa
Rory Best
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Simple as this. If we lose 5 league games I will be asking for a full refund of my costly seasons ticket.
Why should we ruin our league just to satisfy South Africans who are being chucked out of their own competition much and all as I have a lot of time for them.
For me its either a full season of home league games or nothing.
My friends feel the same. If it goes ahead just watch season ticket sales fall badly.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

11 pro12 games would be 11 matches organised under the pro12/Celtic Rugby umbrella. Not all those games may contribute points to the main pro12 league.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk