Belfast restaurants

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Belfast restaurants

Post by BR »

Neill_M wrote:The following NI restaurants have made the 2018 Good Food Guide:

Eipic on Howard Street - rated joint best NI restaurant
Ox on Oxford Street - rated joint best NI restaurant

Hadskis in Belfast, Co Antrim.
Il Pirata in Belfast, Co Antrim.
James Street South in Belfast, Co Antrim.
Mourne Seafood Bar in Belfast, Co Antrim.
Shu in Belfast, Co Antrim.
The Ginger Bistro in Belfast, Co Antrim.
The Muddlers Club in Belfast, Co Antrim.
The Old Schoolhouse Inn in Comber, Co Down.
The Bay Tree in Holywood, Co Down.
Vanilla in Newcastle, Co Down.
Wine and Brine in Moira, Co Armagh.
Balloo House in Killinchy, Co Down.
Harry's Shack in Portstewart, Co Derry.
The Bull and Ram in Ballynahinch, Co Down - only new entry
The fact that they have Wine and Brine listed as Co. Armagh would make you question the detail of their research.

Initially heard good things about Bull and Ram, then it went kind of quiet. Has anyone been recently?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Went to whistling stair in dublin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I've never been BR but one is opening in Belfast soon.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

damianmcr wrote:I've never been BR but one is opening in Belfast soon.
Ahh - that may be the problem. Expansion never bodes well.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Was in the Bull & Ram, albeit a few months ago. Nice building, old butchers shop with victorian tiling, designed to be cold for obvious reasons, and therefore slightly uncomfortable for a resto. Anyway, the chef/owner is a former underling of Danny Millar, and for me that tells you all you need to know about the place, if you've tried Balloo House/Poachers Pocket, Cyprus Ave etc, you'll get the jist. Given Ballynahinch is a dump with little else going for it, it will do well I'm sure. The Belfast expansion will undoubtedly be a different challenge.

My friends in the trade tell me that 2-3 establishments are necessary nowadays to be able to get decent terms with suppliers, give decent staff a level of autonomy, and keep the family in their accustomed style. Don't know much of the economics of these businesses personally but imagine its not necessarily an easy way to retire early
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Chef is as tough a job as you will get, make any mistakes and you seal your own end in the business.
It's tough on the food end as to serve quality you need to buy quality and it costs more yet you have to convince your customers that your meal is tastier than the one down the road using cheaper ingredients.
Anyone in it just for the money is barking up the wrong tree, it's a tough, stressful and involves long hours.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The service at OX was first class last week and it's a nice, bright space.

The waitresses were tastier than some of the food although, on the other hand, it was reasonably priced for a one-star and the waitresses were very tasty tbf.

Had a reasonable Sunday lunch at the Malone Lodge. The bouncy castle was a big hit with our mates' kids.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:Chef is as tough a job as you will get, make any mistakes and you seal your own end in the business.
It's tough on the food end as to serve quality you need to buy quality and it costs more yet you have to convince your customers that your meal is tastier than the one down the road using cheaper ingredients.
Anyone in it just for the money is barking up the wrong tree, it's a tough, stressful and involves long hours.
That's why when some get a gig as a "TV chef", they never set foot in a kitchen again.

More money for less work.

I heard the same thing about ingredients. They've either got to run a place in an area where they can charge higher pricing or expand and get cheaper prices for bigger orders and try to standardise menus.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

ColinM wrote:Was in the Bull & Ram, albeit a few months ago. Nice building, old butchers shop with victorian tiling, designed to be cold for obvious reasons, and therefore slightly uncomfortable for a resto. Anyway, the chef/owner is a former underling of Danny Millar, and for me that tells you all you need to know about the place, if you've tried Balloo House/Poachers Pocket, Cyprus Ave etc, you'll get the jist. Given Ballynahinch is a dump with little else going for it, it will do well I'm sure. The Belfast expansion will undoubtedly be a different challenge.
A fair assessment Colin, I was there myself at the start of May. Decent steak but given the competition in Belfast I think it may struggle to establish itself in the city were I don't see it sitting above those offering similar.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

justinr73 wrote:The service at OX was first class last week and it's a nice, bright space.

The waitresses were tastier than some of the food although, on the other hand, it was reasonably priced for a one-star and the waitresses were very tasty tbf.

Had a reasonable Sunday lunch at the Malone Lodge. The bouncy castle was a big hit with our mates' kids.
Don't forget to mention the waitresses
It's the hope that kills you.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

As a fan of quantity as well as quality, we had a great meal which satisfied both criteria in the Viscount in Dungannon last week. The early bird menu is particularly good value; order up to 6:30.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Tighty wrote:As a fan of quantity as well as quality, we had a great meal which satisfied both criteria in the Viscount in Dungannon last week. The early bird menu is particularly good value; order up to 6:30.
Has always been good quality place, nothing too posh just darned good grub
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Rooster wrote:
Tighty wrote:As a fan of quantity as well as quality, we had a great meal which satisfied both criteria in the Viscount in Dungannon last week. The early bird menu is particularly good value; order up to 6:30.
Has always been good quality place, nothing too posh just darned good grub
Sounds a lot like AJ's in Crossgar.
It's the hope that kills you.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

had a look at AJ's on Trip Advisor ...sounds like my sort of place !!
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I was in Meet and Thyme, Hillsborough last weekend. I've mentioned it before and I will mention it again, best dining restaurant in Ulster. If it's a massive feed you're after it may not appeal, portions though are ample.

Tighty if Dungannon area is your hang out I would highly recommend the Brewers House in Donaghmore.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18