Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hans Indaruck
Squire

Re: Biblical matters

Post by Hans Indaruck »

+1
Hope is not a strategy.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

solidarity wrote:
Leaving the cervical cancer issue aside, a lot of years ago I had a similar discussion with my wife who was working in a small hospital in Africa at the time. I said that giving contraception free to young people only made it easier for them to engage in self destructive behaviour. She said that I should tell that to the fifteen year old girl on whom she had just performed a hysterectomy because the girl had tried to abort her pregnancy with a sharp stick! Suddenly my theoretical reasoning looked more than a bit pathetic. Abstract philosophy and theology have their place, like here, on a virtual discussion board, but the real world needs something different.

The argument that we shouldn't do things that make it easier for people to do bad things s obviously a good one but the real world is the only one we've got to live in. Doesn't matter whether it's Joe church, Joe atheist or Joe anybody who's talking, abstract ideologies rarely get us anywhere good.
Absolutely spot on.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Hans Indaruck wrote:+1

Jaysus in pre computer days I'd say you were a great one for keeping expenditure on ink to a minimum. :D
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:

Jaysus in pre computer days I'd say you were a great one for keeping expenditure on ink to a minimum. :D
You don't see that many +1s these days.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote:
Shan wrote:

You don't see that many +1s these days.
I imagine you'd still see plenty on guest lists.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
Tender wrote:Ahh feckmepink Baggy, I enjoyed that more than my Chicken Curry.

Nothing more hateful than the weak minded, spineless feckers who wanting to appear, tell people they have no time for religious claptrap, but then evoke the almighty fairytale whenever something in their life goes south.
At least yer standard, common or garden moon howlers have the courage of their misguided convictions and enjoy the feeling of smug self righteousness which allows them to look down their noses at non believers.

If you look at all the posts on here recemtly there is indeed a lot of patronising, smug, self righteousness comment sure enough.
But the weird thing is it isn't coming from the Christians.
Of course Dawkins and Gervais are anything but those traits and all.
You should see some of the comments Dawkins and Gervais receive online. Dawkins reading mean tweets is particularly funny.

Plenty of Christian groups are emotionally abusing children, telling them they must believe in God or they will go to hell. Not all Christian groups but quite a lot.
Sorry to jump in here Dave (this was an interesting read) but your statement is rubbish. Those that abuse children etc as you said are no more Christian than ISIS are Muslim or even the KKK are Christian. It goes without saying you can’t commit acts like that and then claim you follow the Bible
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote: You should see some of the comments Dawkins and Gervais receive online. Dawkins reading mean tweets is particularly funny.

Plenty of Christian groups are emotionally abusing children, telling them they must believe in God or they will go to hell. Not all Christian groups but quite a lot.
Sorry to jump in here Dave (this was an interesting read) but your statement is rubbish. Those that abuse children etc as you said are no more Christian than ISIS are Muslim or even the KKK are Christian. It goes without saying you can’t commit acts like that and then claim you follow the Bible
I'm pretty sure it is in the Bible?

Mark 9:43

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:I'm pretty sure it is in the Bible?

If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out
RHI burner?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:

The bible. :lol: :lol:

Can you see the different messages in the below bible passages. Which one are you meant to follow?
"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Remember Sex and Love can be the same thing but frequently they are not. In the verses quoted they are not .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan wrote: Can you see the different messages in the below bible passages. Which one are you meant to follow?

Is it that the 1st one promotes good grammar, while the second condones spelling like an American?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Concentrate on the 'sex' part but ignore the 'put to death' part.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Dave wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Dave wrote: You should see some of the comments Dawkins and Gervais receive online. Dawkins reading mean tweets is particularly funny.

I'm pretty sure it is in the Bible?

Not following what you're saying I'm afraid, my point is that it's a contradiction to be abuse children and so on and claim you're a christian. And if they do claim they are a Christian, I would really question where they get it from. Explain the reasoning behind the verse you quoted rather than just plucking it from thin air
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Shan wrote:
UlsterAreBrill wrote:

The bible. :lol: :lol:

Can you see the different messages in the below bible passages. Which one are you meant to follow?
"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."
You clearly won't believe anything i'll say given i'll try to give as biblical a view as possible so I won't even bother writing an answer to that
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterAreBrill wrote:
Not following what you're saying I'm afraid, my point is that it's a contradiction to be abuse children and so on and claim you're a christian. And if they do claim they are a Christian, I would really question where they get it from. Explain the reasoning behind the verse you quoted rather than just plucking it from thin air
Some might say the entire Bible is plucked from thin air.

I quoted that sentence from the Bible as an example of an emotionally abusive message that is often delivered to children by christian groups. Not all christian groups but some.