Replacement 10

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Replacement 10

Post by stickinout »

This Keatley rumour is worrying, a decent player but lacks the minerals when the big pressure is on. I can't see him as being the future or even being a good mentor for the lads coming through. I think they'd learn more through playing the next season between them. If these rumours are true, there's some serious horse trading going on with the FIRFU and i don't think we have much influence...
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

stickinout wrote:This Keatley rumour is worrying, a decent player but lacks the minerals when the big pressure is on. I can't see him as being the future or even being a good mentor for the lads coming through. I think they'd learn more through playing the next season between them. If these rumours are true, there's some serious horse trading going on with the FIRFU and i don't think we have much influence...
We don't but other provinces seem to!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

stickinout wrote:This Keatley rumour is worrying
I think it's a load of guff.
In my opinion, Joe Schmidt and the Nucifuhrer call the shots in Dublin. If they say Carbery is coming north, he's coming north.
Presumably he wants to retain his place in the squad for the world cup.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Deraless wrote:
stickinout wrote:This Keatley rumour is worrying, a decent player but lacks the minerals when the big pressure is on. I can't see him as being the future or even being a good mentor for the lads coming through. I think they'd learn more through playing the next season between them. If these rumours are true, there's some serious horse trading going on with the FIRFU and i don't think we have much influence...

The provinces providing the bulk of the Ireland team are going to get more favourable treatment as long as it doesn't negatively impact the Ireland team.
Other provinces are much more adept at playing the game in the corridors of power. Ulster have been ham-fisted and always out with the begging bowl.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Deraless wrote:

The provinces providing the bulk of the Ireland team are going to get more favourable treatment as long as it doesn't negatively impact the Ireland team.
Other provinces are much more adept at playing the game in the corridors of power. Ulster have been ham-fisted and always out with the begging bowl.
Not strictly true of course Snipe, the Turnipstanis have long been a financial drag on the FIRFU whereas in the vast majority of the last 5-6 seasons Ulster have been one of the few profitable clubs in these islands because of our largely taxpayer-funded stadium and the crowd sizes which have been way above what was budgeted for and expected.

Mexico to are an issue, they don't have a ground capable of hosting pro rugby to call their own, Donnybrook is only good for the ladies & yutes, and d'RDS is rented at high cost & they do not get crowds that do much more than cover rent. Their saviour, of course, is their school/academy system so they have less need than any other team in Europe never mind Ireland to splash huge money on the likes of a Charless. Their NIQs are usually really sound high-class players but not ones about whom headlines are written, Scott Fardy being a classic example as well as the reluctant Fijian, Novisa, who has been a hell of a buy for them.

So quite where you get the begging bowl schtick is beyond my ken, we do however and still do need some consideration on a fairly regular basis, though it comes in very small doses and seldom when asked for.

For example, the FIRFU has stripped us of both our starting halfbacks this season, Cooney is a great chap & has done very well ........... but he is no Ruan Pienaar, and as for Kid Charlemagne the reluctant Aussie-Dub or the very decent but limited Keatley, neither are fit to sniff my bag never mind that of Patrick Jackson, young gentleman, late of this parish. There was also the early season request for an injury replacement for Marcell and we were, as we often are, told to fu'ck off and away an' ride our haun'.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Logan did say, 8k through the gate and we are making profit, now that’s what he said , but he speak with fork tounge doth he
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Kofi Annan wrote:Logan did say, 8k through the gate and we are making profit, now that’s what he said , but he speak with fork tounge doth he
don't think he ever said that. Kofi. 12k possibly but 8k is far too low.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rocky wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Logan did say, 8k through the gate and we are making profit, now that’s what he said , but he speak with fork tounge doth he
Rocky, I can assure you he did, I did think that was too low as well at the time
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote:
Think that's the figure I heard Rocky, though I would put it past Terry Slogan to announce that black is actually just a shade of white, neither would I trust him to sit the right way round on a bog seat.

As my old golfing friend Jimmy Boyle said of a man he held in low esteem, "that ballix probably squats to pish" and having been a drinking buddy of Blair Mayne, Jimmy knew a thing or two. Great character Jimmy, I once holed my second shot on a par four from about 220 yards and Jimmy from closer in hit his shot to within a foot and said, "fu'ck it, missed it". I loved old Jimmy. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Hawkeye
Novice

Post by Hawkeye »

I think with his gift of turning all things to gold then 1 through the gate would turn a profit in a free stadium!

Ps. Long time lurker and now I am lurking in the open.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

12,000 was I think the figure that the Blair Mayne wannabe give to committee at Stormont as the break even figure....

As with figures elsewhere I would love to see the substance to support anything that comes out his gub from the 20,000 of our most deprived citizens lucky enough to benefit from UR to the fact that he single handedly established the women’s game here and also brought the Woman’s RWC to Ireland without the IRFU... the woman’s game seems to be his new toy turn to gold no doubt..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Deraless wrote:

Not strictly true of course Snipe, the Turnipstanis have long been a financial drag on the FIRFU whereas in the vast majority of the last 5-6 seasons Ulster have been one of the few profitable clubs in these islands because of our largely taxpayer-funded stadium and the crowd sizes which have been way above what was budgeted for and expected.

Mexico to are an issue, they don't have a ground capable of hosting pro rugby to call their own, Donnybrook is only good for the ladies & yutes, and d'RDS is rented at high cost & they do not get crowds that do much more than cover rent. Their saviour, of course, is their school/academy system so they have less need than any other team in Europe never mind Ireland to splash huge money on the likes of a Charless. Their NIQs are usually really sound high-class players but not ones about whom headlines are written, Scott Fardy being a classic example as well as the reluctant Fijian, Novisa, who has been a hell of a buy for them.

So quite where you get the begging bowl schtick is beyond my ken, we do however and still do need some consideration on a fairly regular basis, though it comes in very small doses and seldom when asked for.

For example, the FIRFU has stripped us of both our starting halfbacks this season, Cooney is a great chap & has done very well ........... but he is no Ruan Pienaar, and as for Kid Charlemagne the reluctant Aussie-Dub or the very decent but limited Keatley, neither are fit to sniff my bag never mind that of Patrick Jackson, young gentleman, late of this parish. There was also the early season request for an injury replacement for Marcell and we were, as we often are, told to fu'ck off and away an' ride our haun'.
The folly of the huge Thomond development has been well discussed and accepted. That's not my point.
As I understand it, Ulster's problem, from a Dublin point of view is that we are profligate with our payroll with too many players at the top end of the payscale delivering very little for their large remuneration. Into the bargain, we have repeatedly signed duds, more than could be considered simply unfortunate.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

if we have not mislead the sponsors are the ones who pay for everything and supporters though the gates is just a sugar coating and in fact UR would save money because Eventsec and Stadium cleaning would unnecessary .

The fact is the IRFU rely on Internationals to keep the ship afloat having spent a fortune updating Stadiums

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Does anyone really think Carbery moving north effects his chances with the national team?

Even if he isnt playing regularly or starting big games, he is still very clearly Irelands number 2 fly half. And chances are, a year out from the world cup and a further year older, I dare say we will see less of Sexton next season than we usually do to keep him fresh for the WC

In short, it may be better for Carbery in terms of playing time but in all reality he could very easily sit on the bench for Leinster and still make the Ireland squad. Keatley and Byrne are quite the drop off in quality
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

breakdown wrote:Does anyone really think Carbery moving north effects his chances with the national team?

Even if he isnt playing regularly or starting big games, he is still very clearly Irelands number 2 fly half. And chances are, a year out from the world cup and a further year older, I dare say we will see less of Sexton next season than we usually do to keep him fresh for the WC

In short, it may be better for Carbery in terms of playing time but in all reality he could very easily sit on the bench for Leinster and still make the Ireland squad. Keatley and Byrne are quite the drop off in quality
It affects his likelihood of being of use to the national team. You are right he will be 2nd choice but that 2nd choice is going to need to be capable and ready to play international rugby at 10 given Jannys himmy issues. He isn't and won't be ready by benching and playing 15 at Leinster.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk