Time to move on

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Time to move on

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:Day 73.

#neverforget
#nevermoveon
Arsefoons talk to me about the joy of forgiving and forgetting, I give them my most withering look and tell them they are talking to the wrong Jesus, I never forgive any cu'nt who slights me, I never forget either, I suppose that means I will grow old......... ok older, in Spain but I'll always be an Ulsterman inside, irrespective of the country on my pasaporte or my allegiance to La Rojigualda.

#fu'ckforgivingandforgetting

Anyone who "moves on" whilst so many things are wrong and unresolved are white-Warren Gatland. I may "move on" when I next see a ginger lad at 10 for Ulster called Paddy, until then fu'ck every single D4bastard.

Quality choice of mentor Tender, I've got a sister-in-law who is a Buddhist, most remarkably grounded and calm person I know, mind you, she probably wouldn't approve of the flycatcher I bought today, a magnificent instrument of death and destruction for those bloody Spanish flies.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Dave wrote:Day 73.

#neverforget
#nevermoveon
Arsefoons talk to me about the joy of forgiving and forgetting, I give them my most withering look and tell them they are talking to the wrong Jesus, I never forgive any cu'nt who slights me, I never forget either, I suppose that means I will grow old......... ok older, in Spain but I'll always be an Ulsterman inside, irrespective of the country on my pasaporte or my allegiance to La Rojigualda.

#fu'ckforgivingandforgetting

Anyone who "moves on" whilst so many things are wrong and unresolved are white-Warren Gatland. I may "move on" when I next see a ginger lad at 10 for Ulster called Paddy, until then fu'ck every single D4bastard.

Quality choice of mentor Tender, I've got a sister-in-law who is a Buddhist, most remarkably grounded and calm person I know, mind you, she probably wouldn't approve of the flycatcher I bought today, a magnificent instrument of death and destruction for those bloody Spanish flies.
Amen brother. Lest we move on. Fucķ them all.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

LLad

in the days of the amateur the game was a 15 man selection that usually got together 24 hours before the match .

To say that Ulster and Leinster players got undeserved caps is a jump to far .

Then as now there were 50/50 calls and normally the call went to the incumbent it being nearly harder to be dropped than selected .

Now with squads being together for weeks rather than just 24 hours there is a need to integrate with the group as well as just play better than the next man .

For several years in my opinion King BoD and his mates could have made this harder for some than others .

It is my opinion that those difficulties may be fewer now with Joe in charge as he attempts to create SID .

He recognises that what sets the ABs apart is their SID - they are not looking at 25- 30 players of International Standard but maybe 50 - 60 with very little variation in ability .

The ABs first choice maybe world class but their 3rd choice would compete for selection in most other international
teams .

I doubt if Joe in search for SID would allow the exclusion of possible players to form part of the squad .

My own view on the favouritism to Leinster and Munster may have its roots in the finance of those Provinces and the nature of their support -more fickle than Ulsters - as they shift between Rugby and GAA -- and sponsors are influence by the support given to teams and have the same options as the supporters -- invest in rugby or GAA .

In this part of the world it tends to be either or without the exercise of option with biggest show in town being Rugby .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

I've been thinking about this - as someone who forgives, but doesn't forget - the events of this season have undoubtedly taken a meaningful chunk out of my connection with Ulster Rugby. It feels like you've discovered your missus is having an affair, and no matter how much you might try to put it behind you and move on, in truth it's always there, festering away.

For me it's nothing to do with the players or coaches, rubbish though some of these have been, or the results (we don't have an amazing squad, we've been shot through with injuries, we still qualified for the HEC next year, beat La Rochelle at home and did the double on 'Quins) that's professional sport, you have good seasons and bad seasons, and Ulster aren't owed a seat at the top table.

It's not 'bias' against Ulster in D4, because I don't believe that there is bias against Ulster. Even if I believed that there was some leftover hostility towards the north from the Irish guys (I don't, not really) I certainly don't believe there is from the likes of Nucifora and Schmidt. Neither of them give a s**t about parochial politics here, they want the strongest Irish side possible, end of story. If Ulster keep getting the sh**y end of the stick, it's because we have been doing a woeful job in advocating for our interests IMO, with Logan a stooge and Bryn lacking clout.

The first thing that has turned me off is the wall to wall incompetence - at Ulster itself, but also from the IRFU. Logan was a shocking pick as CEO, and has been a dreadful face of Ulster Rugby. As a result of his time here, to me UR is now synonymous with spin, dishonesty and un-professionalism. But the bigger responsibility is the IRFU's - they picked the wrong guy, and then sat back for the guts of a decade, watching things go wrong, but doing nothing. The guys at the top are idiots, and weak - interesting in Murray Kinsella's article about Nucifora, reading between the lines slightly, is how that in order to try to overcome the drag of committees and vested interests, they vested all this power in Nucifora, and have now unleashed a bit of a monster who they don't really know how to control, and can't do much about because Ireland have been so successful.. We'll see how that turns out, I guess. But back to Ulster, we've had these wet blankets sitting on their hands for several years now, when it has been clear that things weren't going well.

But the crowning kick in the guts, which I really struggle with, is how the PJ/SO thing played out. No point in rehashing everything, but to most reasonable people the decision of the jury was correct, and the fact that it took them a scant couple of hours after the case had just about limped through 9 weeks tells its own story. The 2 players were idiots, agreed, the language in the texts was crass, agreed - but again it's the sheer incompetence on one hand (utter failure to even attempt to manage the fallout, PR etc) and on the other hand, worst of all, the cravenness - not a single person in Ulster Rugby as far as I can tell meaningfully stood up to say "they're idiots, but let's keep this in proportion". In fact you can widen that to the local press / commentariat, players etc etc - with the honourable exception of WJM and Neil Best. It really sticks in my craw. 'Stand Up for the Ulstermen' - that just rings so hollow to me now. This is the big hollow spot in the very centre of my connection with Ulster Rugby - we collectively didn't stand up for 2 guys who were being hung out to dry, and in fact in the case of Logan, he scurried around holding the coats of the guys doing the hanging, whispering encouragement to them. That is tragic, and it's not Ulster.

Will I go to matches next year? Not sure tbh - I like the pre-season games because it's a good chance to see youngsters. After that let's see serious people appointed, proper commitment from the IRFU to let us rebuild our squad, and evidence of a well-coached side on the pitch, giving their all, then I'll think about it...
..one more thing
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Columbo wrote:I've been thinking about this - as someone who forgives, but doesn't forget - the events of this season have undoubtedly taken a meaningful chunk out of my connection with Ulster Rugby. It feels like you've discovered your missus is having an affair, and no matter how much you might try to put it behind you and move on, in truth it's always there, festering away.

For me it's nothing to do with the players or coaches, rubbish though some of these have been, or the results (we don't have an amazing squad, we've been shot through with injuries, we still qualified for the HEC next year, beat La Rochelle at home and did the double on 'Quins) that's professional sport, you have good seasons and bad seasons, and Ulster aren't owed a seat at the top table.

It's not 'bias' against Ulster in D4, because I don't believe that there is bias against Ulster. Even if I believed that there was some leftover hostility towards the north from the Irish guys (I don't, not really) I certainly don't believe there is from the likes of Nucifora and Schmidt. Neither of them give a s**t about parochial politics here, they want the strongest Irish side possible, end of story. If Ulster keep getting the sh**y end of the stick, it's because we have been doing a woeful job in advocating for our interests IMO, with Logan a stooge and Bryn lacking clout.

The first thing that has turned me off is the wall to wall incompetence - at Ulster itself, but also from the IRFU. Logan was a shocking pick as CEO, and has been a dreadful face of Ulster Rugby. As a result of his time here, to me UR is now synonymous with spin, dishonesty and un-professionalism. But the bigger responsibility is the IRFU's - they picked the wrong guy, and then sat back for the guts of a decade, watching things go wrong, but doing nothing. The guys at the top are idiots, and weak - interesting in Murray Kinsella's article about Nucifora, reading between the lines slightly, is how that in order to try to overcome the drag of committees and vested interests, they vested all this power in Nucifora, and have now unleashed a bit of a monster who they don't really know how to control, and can't do much about because Ireland have been so successful.. We'll see how that turns out, I guess. But back to Ulster, we've had these wet blankets sitting on their hands for several years now, when it has been clear that things weren't going well.

But the crowning kick in the guts, which I really struggle with, is how the PJ/SO thing played out. No point in rehashing everything, but to most reasonable people the decision of the jury was correct, and the fact that it took them a scant couple of hours after the case had just about limped through 9 weeks tells its own story. The 2 players were idiots, agreed, the language in the texts was crass, agreed - but again it's the sheer incompetence on one hand (utter failure to even attempt to manage the fallout, PR etc) and on the other hand, worst of all, the cravenness - not a single person in Ulster Rugby as far as I can tell meaningfully stood up to say "they're idiots, but let's keep this in proportion". In fact you can widen that to the local press / commentariat, players etc etc - with the honourable exception of WJM and Neil Best. It really sticks in my craw. 'Stand Up for the Ulstermen' - that just rings so hollow to me now. This is the big hollow spot in the very centre of my connection with Ulster Rugby - we collectively didn't stand up for 2 guys who were being hung out to dry, and in fact in the case of Logan, he scurried around holding the coats of the guys doing the hanging, whispering encouragement to them. That is tragic, and it's not Ulster.

Will I go to matches next year? Not sure tbh - I like the pre-season games because it's a good chance to see youngsters. After that let's see serious people appointed, proper commitment from the IRFU to let us rebuild our squad, and evidence of a well-coached side on the pitch, giving their all, then I'll think about it...

That is a pretty sad tale Columbus, but also pretty fu'cking lame. For the absence of doubt, nothing will ever take any chunk of anything from my commitment to supporting Ulster Rugby ............ not the FIRFUCs in D4, not a waste of space like Terry Shame Slogan, not the very clear bias of JS/DN towards the most productive two provinces in Ireland, to the detriment of Ulster.

If you let little things like that impinge on your support for our province, you are not worth spit. Get your act together sonny and understand clearly where the issues are and who to direct your ire towards. It's that simple.

I may have you wrong Columbus, but I suspect you are the very sort of white-Warren Gatland who will go to the Aviva to watch the FIRUC's team in November. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

As for you Ron'n that is one garbled piece of mess. Must do better ............. I know you can.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Time to move on

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy

My view is that Leinster and Munster fail to reach break even if there is a small drop in numbers despite the fact both have reasonable numbers of players on central contracts .

Munster because of the cost of their borrowings and Leinster because they Rent the RDS .

Thus if they need players their wishes are granted sooner similarly Leinster have a larger Academy because their schoolboys are more interested in being Professional players and receive greater encouragement at U18 - U20 level by selection to International squads and have done so for at least a decade .

This D4 appears to have twin objects ensure Provinces maximise their financial potential and maintain the quality of the International team .

Ulster appear to be less vunerable to variations in crowd numbers and are less likely not to achieve break even .

To be honest I think the reaction to Ruan 's non renewed contract was as they expected but what they had not bargained for was non availability of PJ/SO and Payne and the serious decline in the results ( the Ulster defence as Kiss seemed to be experimenting in his game plan using an inexperienced back row )

Kiss resigning

And then the support that PJ / SO received from the man on the terrace was totally unexpected by D4
and the condemnation of Logan's inactivity .

They assumed that female led media reflected the attitude of Ulster public who had quickly realised the nature of prosecution and claimant .

D4 has now woken up to fact that they have created a serious problem and there is very little goodwill
towards D4 and its objectives .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
allanddd
Novice

Post by allanddd »

Tender wrote:I’ve meditated for days on this subject. I’ve consulted my mentor Jack Kornfield and explained the complexities and the consternation which we’ve all struggled with in the past 70 (how many Dave?) days. I’ve cleared my mind and filled my heart with compassion and understanding.
It’s been difficult, but I’ve come to the inevitable conclusion.
They’re all Kuntz. I will not move on and I’ll hold any Ulsterman who wears their colours or supports FIRFUCs team, as being unworthy of the name Ulsterman.
I’ll support my team and I won’t be told I’m foolish to hold this hot coal. I can hold it.
I am as good as any Ulster man on here so as you won’t be told to hold hot coals nor will I be told what colours to wear
Hopefully appointments and placements will be made soon so we can talk about the future.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Better Ron'n, this time I understand what you are saying and would even agree with a good bit of it.

If there is a basket case in Irish Rugby it is at Munster financially, albeit on the pitch they are currently far above what Ulster have managed.

Earlier I post not that D4 want to see Ulster fail, as some clampits appear to interpret, but that for fairly sound rugby reasons, they get preferential support, Leinster because they are the backbone of Irish Rugby and have been since taking over from Munster as the pre-eminent Irish Team. They have also put much effort into the recovery of Munster from basket case to successive years in the SDC latter stages, crowds up again, yet they will repent at leisure the folly of the two centres and the money wasted in Cork.

So it is the necessity of maintaining both that leads to their preferential treatment which is what disadvantages Ulster rather than a wish to see Ulster fail, that would just be ludicrous, but it is very very clear that Ulster does not rank high in the priorities .............. however, I believe that too has changed, to a degree, with the rebuild of UR starring the gassing of Terry and less joyfully the two lads that most were unhappy to see leave.

The appointments of McFarland and Soper give me encouragement, all we need to see is the Scots stop playing silly buggers, it serves no purpose for them other than to try to squeeze a few rupees out of the FIRFUCs and Nuciwankstain's alleged Plan B I suspect is more bluff than anything. Probably not a bad bluff for why would any parsimonious Scot want to pay salaries for 2 forwards coaches?

What has driven the rebuild Ron'n? I understand that Shame's fate was a done deal around the time of the Connacht humiliation in Galway, as of course was Lesbian Kiss. With the treachery of J B Gibbes (cun't) it became clearer and clearer that action was needed. I believe the momentum for change became unstoppable when the attendance for the Ospreys rout as evident and just maybe D4 has got the message that even a stoic Ulsterman can only be fu'cked about so much and no further.

Changing times and we shall see where it all takes us. I'm predicting a 5-year "recovery", much is dependent on the work of the chaps in the Academy, and especially Big Willies ability to make men of yutes, together with McFarland & Soper. I'm always happy to clutch at a few straws, I have hope invested in Soper if he can have a minimum of interference from Peel.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

allanddd wrote:
Tender wrote:I’ve meditated for days on this subject. I’ve consulted my mentor Jack Kornfield and explained the complexities and the consternation which we’ve all struggled with in the past 70 (how many Dave?) days. I’ve cleared my mind and filled my heart with compassion and understanding.
It’s been difficult, but I’ve come to the inevitable conclusion.
They’re all Kuntz. I will not move on and I’ll hold any Ulsterman who wears their colours or supports FIRFUCs team, as being unworthy of the name Ulsterman.
I’ll support my team and I won’t be told I’m foolish to hold this hot coal. I can hold it.
I am as good as any Ulster man on here so as you won’t be told to hold hot coals nor will I be told what colours to wear
Hopefully appointments and placements will be made soon so we can talk about the future.

Listen up Bristols, you have been around here long enough to understand that we are not Ulster Bakeface, we do not "do" a hierarchy of Ulstermen, we all just support the team - most of us, not the regime.

You know my opinion on twunts and lickspittle in green from this province, you don't have to share my opinion, you are at liberty to be the sort of white-Warren Gatland that for so long has enabled D4 to take their Nordies for granted. They almost shat themselves when they saw the crowd for the playoff, all that is needed is for good men & true to repeat the dose at the Aviva a few times, they will take notice.

However, I can only vent my opprobrium of selfish D4 lackeys, I cannot make you understand the power that lies in the hands of people to simply say "no thanks" to Ireland tickets if they do so in large numbers. I understand my wishes are doomed to failure, largely due to the weakness of others.
Fortyniner
Novice

Post by Fortyniner »

Despite some of the most thoughtful postings ( Columbo, allanddd), I have ever seen on the site appearing on this thread, Such has been the opprobrium on this thread for D4 and IRFU, I started a separate thread ( for discussion) on whether it was time for UDI for Ulster. But that too was vilified, on the basis that they owned the stadium, they owned the contracts etc etc. ( All by the way fixable if UR had the intent).

But overall the consensus is that we are "stuck" ( I think rightly) with the present arrangements. ie we are a branch of the IRFU. So a bit like a marriage, if there are problems we either chose to address them and try to fix them, or................ end it. Any other approach only prolongs the pain.

Fixing the relationship will need a strong UR "Ulster" CEO, good coaching, good team support, sensible signings, good academy, good financial support. It is not going to happen by spitting on everything to do with Irish Rugby, and in fact that tactic might make it worse.

I will continue to support the Ireland team, ( and do Stockdale, Henderson, Best, Herring deserve anything less?) hoping that we get back to having 6/7/8 Ulster rugby players in the squad, or even on the team, but this does not and will not dilute my support of and dedication to Ulster Rugby., or my right to be an "Ulsterman" . I cannot for personal reasons attend away games, but I very rarely miss home games with my ST, no matter what is going on in the background.
UR People on the pitch deserve full support.
Even Baggy says so, so it must be true!

As for anybody in D4 noticing UR supporters not taking up Aviva tickets; are you nuts? people are selling their grannies to get Ireland Aviva tickets. So if anybody gets offered any for the Autumn, and does not want them, would you pass them on? Ta.
War of attrition
Novice

Post by War of attrition »

Fortyniner wrote:Despite some of the most thoughtful postings ( Columbo, allanddd), I have ever seen on the site appearing on this thread, Such has been the opprobrium on this thread for D4 and IRFU, I started a separate thread ( for discussion) on whether it was time for UDI for Ulster. But that too was vilified, on the basis that they owned the stadium, they owned the contracts etc etc. ( All by the way fixable if UR had the intent).

But overall the consensus is that we are "stuck" ( I think rightly) with the present arrangements. ie we are a branch of the IRFU. So a bit like a marriage, if there are problems we either chose to address them and try to fix them, or................ end it. Any other approach only prolongs the pain.

Fixing the relationship will need a strong UR "Ulster" CEO, good coaching, good team support, sensible signings, good academy, good financial support. It is not going to happen by spitting on everything to do with Irish Rugby, and in fact that tactic might make it worse.

I will continue to support the Ireland team, ( and do Stockdale, Henderson, Best, Herring deserve anything less?) hoping that we get back to having 6/7/8 Ulster rugby players in the squad, or even on the team, but this does not and will not dilute my support of and dedication to Ulster Rugby., or my right to be an "Ulsterman" . I cannot for personal reasons attend away games, but I very rarely miss home games with my ST, no matter what is going on in the background.
UR People on the pitch deserve full support.
Even Baggy says so, so it must be true!

As for anybody in D4 noticing UR supporters not taking up Aviva tickets; are you nuts? people are selling their grannies to get Ireland Aviva tickets. So if anybody gets offered any for the Autumn, and does not want them, would you pass them on? Ta.
+1

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
promenader 2
Initiate

Post by promenader 2 »

Managed to get two for the Abs game today :cheers: :D :thumleft:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Columbo wrote:It's not 'bias' against Ulster in D4, because I don't believe that there is bias against Ulster. Even if I believed that there was some leftover hostility towards the north from the Irish guys (I don't, not really) I certainly don't believe there is from the likes of Nucifora nd Schmidt. Neither of them give a s**t about parochial politics here, they want the strongest Irish side possible, end of story. If Ulster keep getting the sh**y end of the stick, it's because we have been doing a woeful job in advocating for our interests IMO, with Logan a stooge and Bryn lacking clout.
It's pro Leinster and to a lesser extent Munster bias. We are tier 2 and Connacht are tier 3. You are correct in as much as our representatives have for the most part been weak in the extreme. Not since the days of Syd Millar have we had a strong voice in Dublin. Too many fine gents driving down the M1 to have sharp D4 operators run circles round them. The IRFU clearly favour two strong provinces with two in supporting roles. It seems to be working for them too, #2 in the world.
No argument on the incompetence front Logan was bad. The team should be the face of UR not the CEO.
This is somewhat back to point 1. From an IRFU perspective, the only thing that matters is the Ireland team. Everything else is a means to that singular end. Let's be hones things are going rather well Ireland have never had it so good. As an International force Ireland is the strongest it has ever been. 3 championships in the last 5, a grand slam, a win over NZ, series win in Oz.
Like virtually everyone else, you seem determined to conflate the trial verdict and the shafting of Paddy and Stu.
This was not the case. They were shafted because the IFRU hadn't the guts to stand up to a shower of moaning harridans and a self serving sponsor. That is what happened. As for the players, I believe they were as gunked as the rest of us when the deed was done. They had supported Paddy and Stu right through the trial, just not publicly.
I haven't renewed my season ticket for the first time since 99/00, because last season simply wasn't enjoyable from a rugby watching point of view. I'll pick and chose the games I go to next season.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Columbo's post is one of the best and most reflective contributions on here for a while.
I agree with much of it.
I disagree with the view that the IRFU had other options in April following the fall out from the court case.
The truth is that money talks in a professional sport.

Look at it for once from the perspective of Mr Browne, as CEO of the union. He runs an organization which is completely different to the tiny operation that used to exist in 63 Lansdowne Road, next to the railway, in amateur times with a full time dozy Secretary and a couple of office staff and a groundsman.
Today, the IRFU contracts a couple of hundred players as full time pros or in academies. The Union has dozens of coaches, s and c persons, etc etc. The Union has a massive bureaucracy to oversee all of this and get more money and marketing in.
It has huge numbers of developmente officers who used to never exist. So 100s of staff. An office block further up Lansdowne Road. A place in Abbotstown and so on. All of this means money is very important to continue to get the success they have had.

Now look at where a big chunk of that money comes from. Government funding through Sports Ireland or Ulster Sports etc pays for a lot and every year the IRFU lobbies for more and more. Government money comes with string attached.
Most relevantly, rugby is pointed out as needing more gender inclusion. Let's face it, most blazers and many many club members are dubious and skeptical about the need to have women's teams etc. My own club fights a losing battle on this citing bathroom and changing facilities. The Rape trial touched a raw nerve here. instantly, rugby was on the defensive as a misogynistic pastime. Many rugby people were getting in the neck from their own female family members at the time, including self.

How was the IRFU ever going to resist this?

But it's not just government funding, there's also sponsorship. The two biggest and most relevant sponsors happen to have female managers in charge just now. i understand there was unreal pressure on the Union. So money talks and it was made quite clear to the Union and the blazers that they were not free agents.

What happened to your two players had nothing to do with politics, provincial or national, or sectarianism at all. It was just about money at the end of the day. The Rubicon was crossed in 1995 when the sport went pro. Goodbye Tommy Kiernan and Willie John. Hello corporate sponsors and civil servants.