Ulster Squad 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Hawkeye
Novice

Re: Ulster Squad 2018/19

Post by Hawkeye »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
I’m hoping that we will have a CEO who is as evident to the public as Mick Dawson in Mexico . Rarely if ever seen. The problem with Terry and his months of silence is that we were not, but should have been, used to it, and when it happened it was through cowardice. It should be the norm so please, no clowns asking “why do we never hear from the
I couldn't care less if I never saw or heard the CEO but I do want to see evidence that he/she were doing their job as a CEO unlike the the previous incumbent.
allanddd
Novice

Post by allanddd »

Good coaching can help cover up some of the deficiencies in the pack but without additional resources for SH/OH we are in deep sh1t.
Performances that are at least equal to the sum of the parts.
A noticeable style of play being developed .
100% from the 23 week in and week out .
That would satisfy me for this season
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

My expectations are less to do with results or achieving a specific target. More in line with showing some guts on the pitch in defense and attack.

A reliable set piece is a must. The scrum will be dependant on the ability of the props. I find no such excuse for the lineout. There is no reason why it cannot function well.

A bit of variety and creativity in attack would do well also. This will require basic handling skills. Catching ball is an expectation of mine. I don't think I'm asking too much here.

SUFTUM.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

SH is a much greater concern than OH, one injury there to Cooney and we're cooked.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
skiboo wrote:Hopefully with the new coaches in board we will see backs playing like backs and McClusky not used as a biff bash back playing like a forward because he is only one capable of gaining ground. If he gets his off loading game back maybe the rest of our backs will get to see some ball.
You think McCloskey has more than bish bash bosh in his game?
I don't.
To be fair Snipe he has the ability to offload.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 46354.html
I loved Tony Ward as a player, but he does talk some kack at times.
McCloskey had a great offloading game right up to the point where opposition coaches and defenders worked out how to stop him offloading.
Many defence coaches have tried to stop Sonny Bill offloading and failed. Big Stu, not so much. It's hard to offload when you can't get your arms free.
It used to amuse me no end when sages on this board used to blame Ulster coaches for coaching the offloading out of the big lad's game. It was coaches all right, but not Ulster's. I can't be sure, but Gregor Townsend may have had a hand in negating big Stu's offloading game.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

It's not just big Stu. The modern tackle is designed to prevent the offload for all players.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

My point really was intended to produce some focus on my hope we will have forwards carrying and gaining ground rather than the style we had during the Kiss era of a pass to the inside centre who was primarily given the ball to crash it rather that move it out.
I think McCloskey may have more in his game but how we were coached last year didn't give him much room. The real wonder last year given our style of play and lack of guile in the backs when Cave was not picked was the number of tries scored by Stockdale.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Having more ball carrying threats in the pack will leave more space for the backs. I expect the one up static runner, that typified the Kisss era, to not feature in our gameplan.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

skiboo wrote:My point really was intended to produce some focus on my hope we will have forwards carrying and gaining ground rather than the style we had during the Kiss era of a pass to the inside centre who was primarily given the ball to crash it rather that move it out.
I think McCloskey may have more in his game but how we were coached last year didn't give him much room. The real wonder last year given our style of play and lack of guile in the backs when Cave was not picked was the number of tries scored by Stockdale.
Our style of play last season was dictated by our imbalanced team and total inability to compete up front. We lacked carrying power and at the breakdown we were passive. Teams just fanned out across the defensive line cutting down our options. Backs never had a chance to play as they were continually on the back foot. The problem was not the backs, it was the forwards, who weren't able to suck defenders into the middle so we weren't creating space out wide.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Our ball carrying up front was an improvement on the year before but still well below where it needed to be.

I'm hoping with a forwards orientated head coach our main focus will be up front. Can anyone cite if McFarland achieved this at any of his previous assignments?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Playing Big Stu and NHL means you could stick HWM in the wing, they eat up any available space and neither has the hands or subtlety to do anything worthwhile with the ball. OK individually but a pairing made in hell and loved by Kiss and Peel, then again both thought Piutau was a full back.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

It’s not ball carrying that’s the problem it was the inability to consistently get over the gain line .

McCloskey playing crash ball over the gain line only to find the next two phases losing 10
Yards .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy must agree about the CEO someone who is silent in Belfast 90 % of the time but Loud noise in Dublin if not a pain in the Gary to them .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We had zero breakdown presence last season. Mostly due to a non aggressive defense. Gibbes getting the reigns demonstrated how we need a forwards focused coach. However we need some creative back play to build upon any foundation the forwards may provide.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

rumncoke wrote:It’s not ball carrying that’s the problem it was the inability to consistently get over the gain line .

McCloskey playing crash ball over the gain line only to find the next two phases losing 10
Yards .

Mon now own up ... who's playing funny buggers and hacked Rum's account ... This post is so unRum like in it's actual resemblance to sense I fear the person who did it should be ashamed.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"