New stadium for the westies

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

New stadium for the westies

Post by pwrmoore »

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-r ... rtsground/
Connacht Rugby are delighted to announce historic redevelopment plans for the Sportsground Stadium.

The project will deliver a modern, fit for purpose rugby stadium in addition to a new high-performance training centre for Connacht Rugby while also retaining existing greyhound racing facilities.

The redevelopment plan has been made possible following an arrangement reached between the Irish Greyhound Board and the freehold owners of the Sportsground, the Galway Agricultural and Sports Society, with respect to a shared vision for the future of the Sportsground.

The announcement comes on the back of a rigorous process to identify the optimum location, composition and design of the proposed new redevelopment in addition to an independent cost benefit analysis.

The development will cost in the region of €30m and will have a capacity of 12,000 spectators. It is intended that the development will be funded through a combination of public funds, most notably through the Large Scale Sports Infrastructure Fund, and private funding.

The arrangement with the Irish Greyhound Board will ensure that rugby fixtures and greyhound racing events will continue to be staged at the venue. The multi-use facility will also be made available for the hosting of other sporting fixtures and events where such demand arises.

The strategic benefits of the project to the entire region are also closely aligned with the Government’s National Planning Framework, Project Ireland 2040 as well as the recently launched National Sports Policy, all of which highlight the need for a regional spread of capital investment throughout the country.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
WeeWorld
Initiate

Re: New stadium for the westies

Post by WeeWorld »

The greyhound track makes it too open plan for me plus there's zero provision for fans at either end which is terrible.
Greyhound racing is a dying sport but has a lot government funding I think.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

WeeWorld wrote:The greyhound track makes it too open plan for me plus there's zero provision for fans at either end which is terrible.
If you are afraid of being blown away, don't go SmallMind
Maybe that is why they are improving it dipshit
You? Think? that'll be the day ballbeg.

Have a nice day. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

WeeWorld wrote:The greyhound track makes it too open plan for me plus there's zero provision for fans at either end which is terrible.

Have to disagree. I have enjoyed every single visit to the sportsground. Never found the dogtrack a hindrance. Have even been quite happy to watch from behind the posts. It can be windy though :lol: :lol:
Paul.

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

WeeWorld wrote:Greyhound racing is a dying sport but has a lot government funding I think.
Can't die too soon.

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

pwrmoore wrote: Have to disagree. I have enjoyed every single visit to the sportsground. Never found the dogtrack a hindrance. Have even been quite happy to watch from behind the posts. It can be windy though :lol: :lol:
Fair enough but in a few years I can see the dog track being abandoned. Even Dublin has only one now.
big mervyn wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:Greyhound racing is a dying sport but has a lot government funding I think.
Can't die too soon.

I agree with you if it wasn't for Government funding it would be gone already.

http://www.thejournal.ie/greyhound-indu ... 2-Jun2017/
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pwrmoore wrote:

Have to disagree. I have enjoyed every single visit to the sportsground. Never found the dogtrack a hindrance. Have even been quite happy to watch from behind the posts. It can be windy though Image Image
On the occasions of your visits to the Sportsground would you describe your state as
a) sober
b) a couple of shandies, but driving home
c) a few in me
d) rightly
e) blokt
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

Have to disagree. I have enjoyed every single visit to the sportsground. Never found the dogtrack a hindrance. Have even been quite happy to watch from behind the posts. It can be windy though Image Image
On the occasions of your visits to the Sportsground would you describe your state as
a) sober
c) a few in me
d) rightly
e) blokt
C to D - what's that got to do with it? :lol: :lol: :lol: >burp
Paul.

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pwrmoore wrote:
BR wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:

a) sober
c) a few in me
d) rightly
e) blokt
C to D - what's that got to do with it? Image Image Image >burp
I rest my case.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

uploadfromtaptalk1539094263016.JPG
uploadfromtaptalk1539094263016.JPG (21.15 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
To be fair, you're a category or two below me.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Sportsground and Galway in general is one of the best away trips in the league, looking forward to their plans coming through.
On the dog cruelty issues there are 2 trainers near me and I can assure you their animals are spared nothing in comfort or attention, their dogs when finished racing normally finish their lives as family pets either with owner's or others, they are lovely dogs and very docile around a house but certainly not the sort of animal you keep in a town.
Can't speak for others though so wouldn't be surprised if there are some badly treated.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

If they can build something with a bit of class like this in Hungary, why can't we?

More shots:

https://www.archdaily.com/538826/pancho ... ects-photo
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Rooster wrote:Sportsground and Galway in general is one of the best away trips in the league.
Totally agree.

Fair play to the Westies, they have grown their fan base and now have much bigger crowds than they used to.

Unlike the Mexicans, as their numbers grew, their friendliness didn't fall off.

Todgers v Mexico at Donkeybrook was a joy to attend but RDS, much less so (and not just because of the spankings they have given us).

Westie supporters have retained their friendliness and its a delight to go there. Galway is also a small and great city to visit.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

They need to make sure they keep the standards up on the pitch but it is good to see them getting this redevelopment. Hopefully with their fancy new stadium they won't develop airs and graces. :D :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Shan wrote:They need to make sure they keep the standards up on the pitch but it is good to see them getting this redevelopment. Hopefully with their fancy new stadium they won't develop airs and graces. :D :D
When you share your ground with greyhounds you're unlikely to ideas about yourself.

In 2015, there were 1642 greyhound race meetings with an aggregate attendence of 641,622.
That works out at an average of 387 per meeting.
What would they be doing in a stadium that can hold 12,000?
If they got rid of the greyhounds they could put in a 12k stadium that looks the part rather than a wind tunnel with a stand on either side..
If they were really ambitious the city could do something like that Hungarian stadium that would be a tourist attraction in its own right.
https://www.igb.ie/globalassets/power-r ... r-2017.pdf