New - Warren Gatland of the week

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Vote for your Warren Gatland of the Week?

Terry "I say" Thomas
No votes
Nigel Owens
11%
Simon Zebo
73%
M'Burney
3%
Donald Trump
14%

Total votes: 37

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: New - Warren Gatland of the week

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Tender wrote: There is no evidence to substantiate the media claims which sought to explain the thing which may, or may not have happened on the massive chip which all Coleraine men, and women, carry around because they don’t live in Belfast or Londonderry/Derry.

Coleraine, twinned with Lurgan.
Can I just mention that I spent a very pleasant day at the same venue earlier in the summer, albeit it was for a Coleraine cricket match. Coleraine CC share the ground and clubhouse with Coleraine RFC and we received nothing but good sportsmanship, a warm welcome and an excellent reception.

I would just like to ask that players, officials and fans of Coleraine CC (male and female) are excluded from the comments by our learned Tender gennulman, on the characteristics of "all Coleraine men and women".

I should also add that while while I agree that Lurgan is a dump and Pollock Park is distinctly lacking in any character, the cricket club is also very welcoming.

That's all ...please continue your, ahem ... debate... on the subject at hand.

Thank-you.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Gerald the Mole wrote:i really really really hope they are outed
The IRFU could probably afford to do it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:Any excuse to launch a swipe at our boys, BR? Please explain to the board how they 'acted badly'? What did you mean by 'got up to'? Doesn't sound like something good.

This is one of the strangest versions of whataboutery I have ever witnessed. Stop comparing what happened to our boys with this incident. Please just stop it. Two careers ruined because of sponsorship pressure and a weak/corrupt FIRFU. It is insensitive to all involved to compare it to this nonsense.

This is not a criminal trial. It is possible to make an inference based on probability. If one party is accused and accepts their fate, I cannot deny their own acceptance. Where have I made any statement about seeing some single statement as true? I have merely accepted the remarks of acceptance from the club.

I have nothing more to say. Keep your whataboutery to yourself and leave our boys alone.
I'm not implying anything by 'got up to'. I mean their actions and activities, none of which have been found to be criminal.

Again I don't know what all happened that night, and crucially, neither do I pretend to.

Conflicting testimonies were given regarding some activities, do you know which ones are true? I don't.
There may well have been other parts of the night on which no testimonies were made.

Ultimately a young woman was left in a pretty poor state. Did someone 'act badly'? The IRFU seemed to think so. IIRC PJ and SO expressed regret for the events of the evening.

As you say the IRFU are not conducting criminal (or even civil) trials so they don't have to apply the same rigours. They are applying disciplinary sanctions on those within their jurisdiction (be they clubs or employees). They have done that in both cases.

While the 2 events are not even in the same league, I find the difference in reaction here interesting.

On the one hand condemning a witch hunt and on the other breaking out the pitch forks and burning torches.
I don't need to believe any testimony. That was foe the court to decide. The IRFU did not explain the reason why the contracts of Paddy and Stu were revoked. Your comments are mere speculation and gossip on a private civil issue. You advise that you don't know what happened but then state that 'a young woman was left in a pretty poor state'. The rhetoric used here is highly manipulative. She is young, so infer she is vulnerable maybe even defenceless. 'She was left', implying something was done to her. Jog on with this nonsense.

Coleraine accepted the outcome of the review. The review upheld the charges made. That's why there is a reaction on here. I'm pleased to see it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

If we can’t use sweeping generalisations, stereotyping and 1970’s points of reference, what sort of World will we be living in?
I was saying those exact words to my secretary this morning, as she sat on my knee opening my mail with my SS Dagger.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote:
Coleraine accepted the outcome of the review.
Is that enough for everyone though?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:
No, , does it satisfy you?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
BR wrote:
Dave wrote:
Not ideal, but I could live with it.
Then, as I am only an armchair follower of the game, my feelings are hardly relevant.

There are plenty of folk (some of whom may even have another agenda) for whom this story is of much greater concern.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

BR wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
BR wrote:
Dave wrote:
Then, as I am only an armchair follower of the game, my feelings are hardly relevant.

There are plenty of folk (some of whom may even have another agenda) for whom this story is of much greater concern.
Your relentless.
the issue has moved beyond the abuse, even the reporter has stated that some in UR have tried to prevent him from reporting it, why do you think that is?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Gerald the Mole wrote:
BR wrote:
Gerald the Mole wrote:
BR wrote:
Dave wrote:

Your relentless.
the issue has moved beyond the abuse, even the reporter has stated that some in UR have tried to prevent him from reporting it, why do you think that is?
Sorry - my response was to the question of whether CRFC's punishment sufficed for the abuse.

As for the way it has been handled - as I said, plenty of people (some with vested interests) with a full spectrum of opinion on this.

Any word on the source of the leak of Crabtree's statement?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:Any excuse to launch a swipe at our boys, BR? Please explain to the board how they 'acted badly'? What did you mean by 'got up to'? Doesn't sound like something good.

This is one of the strangest versions of whataboutery I have ever witnessed. Stop comparing what happened to our boys with this incident. Please just stop it. Two careers ruined because of sponsorship pressure and a weak/corrupt FIRFU. It is insensitive to all involved to compare it to this nonsense.

This is not a criminal trial. It is possible to make an inference based on probability. If one party is accused and accepts their fate, I cannot deny their own acceptance. Where have I made any statement about seeing some single statement as true? I have merely accepted the remarks of acceptance from the club.

I have nothing more to say. Keep your whataboutery to yourself and leave our boys alone.
I'm not implying anything by 'got up to'. I mean their actions and activities, none of which have been found to be criminal.

Again I don't know what all happened that night, and crucially, neither do I pretend to.

Conflicting testimonies were given regarding some activities, do you know which ones are true? I don't.
There may well have been other parts of the night on which no testimonies were made.

Ultimately a young woman was left in a pretty poor state. Did someone 'act badly'? The IRFU seemed to think so. IIRC PJ and SO expressed regret for the events of the evening.

As you say the IRFU are not conducting criminal (or even civil) trials so they don't have to apply the same rigours. They are applying disciplinary sanctions on those within their jurisdiction (be they clubs or employees). They have done that in both cases.

While the 2 events are not even in the same league, I find the difference in reaction here interesting.

On the one hand condemning a witch hunt and on the other breaking out the pitch forks and burning torches.
I think there is a significant difference in this event BR I that nobody has asyet denied that the 80 minutes of sustained verbal abuse actually took place. Barring any such denial it is fair to accept it actually happened, whereas the allegations against the two young gentlemen was tested in a court of law and depending on your viewpoint, either didn’t happen or was unproven.

Comparing dandelions with fish is not something you hear of much these days.

In summary in this case, those with pitchforks have no denials to deal with. Light the torches, to the ramparts. (This forum is in desperate need of an angry mob smilie)
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
LadyP
Novice

Post by LadyP »

I wonder what Cookstown Foods think of this Debacle.
"This doesn't look good Parker"
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

I think there is a significant difference in this event BR I that nobody has asyet denied that the 80 minutes of sustained verbal abuse actually took place. Barring any such denial it is fair to accept it actually happened, whereas the allegations against the two young gentlemen was tested in a court of law and depending on your viewpoint, either didn’t happen or was unproven.

In summary in this case, those with pitchforks have no denials to deal with. Light the torches, to the ramparts. (This forum is in desperate need of an angry mob smilie)
Remember the time we terrace dwellers were accused of making a racist comment (I have a Welsh player in my mind, but can't remember who it was). That was pretty difficult for UR to disprove. IIRC they investigated but could not find anyone who had said anything untoward. (I know it wasn't you or me or Cap'n Grumpy, after that I can't be sure.)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

LadyP wrote:I wonder what Cookstown Foods think of this Debacle.
Aye good point. They wouldn't want to be associated with anyone guilty of mysogynistic behaviour.

Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

BR wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:

Remember the time we terrace dwellers were accused of making a racist comment (I have a Welsh player in my mind, but can't remember who it was). That was pretty difficult for UR to disprove. IIRC they investigated but could not find anyone who had said anything untoward. (I know it wasn't you or me or Cap'n Grumpy, after that I can't be sure.)
Also Matt McCullough allegedly called Armitage a spade.

Hard to be 100% either way, but #Ibelieveher (Grainne not the slappa)
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bogbunny wrote:Also Matt McCullough allegedly called Armitage a spade.
Spade does not ring true as a Norn Irn term of abuse and certainly would not be the first word to come to mind when looking for a pejorative term for a gentleman of colour such as Mr Armitage. Spide on the other hand ..
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall