Ulster v Dragons Friday 26th Oct 7:55pm Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Dragons Friday 26th Oct 7:55pm Premier Sports 1

Post by Bart S »

MightyRearranger wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Once again I'm left with the thought: Shanners, might he yet prove better than fu'cking useless? You can point, as I have, that he has yet to beat a man in any of his 4 tries this season but he's running great support lines on breaks & fair play to him.
I was actually fairly impressed with Shanners today. One horrifically shanked box kick aside, his service was quick and crisp, ran good lines in support, tried to make the odd break and didn't shirk the contact. To be honest, the notion of who was fit to deputise for Cooney is something which terrorised me at the start of the season, but after a couple of years of (at best) indifferent performances Shanahan appears to be stepping up to the plate; fair fecks to him.
Even his tackling seems to have improved significantly recently.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Bart S wrote:
MightyRearranger wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Once again I'm left with the thought: Shanners, might he yet prove better than fu'cking useless? You can point, as I have, that he has yet to beat a man in any of his 4 tries this season but he's running great support lines on breaks & fair play to him.
I was actually fairly impressed with Shanners today. One horrifically shanked box kick aside, his service was quick and crisp, ran good lines in support, tried to make the odd break and didn't shirk the contact. To be honest, the notion of who was fit to deputise for Cooney is something which terrorised me at the start of the season, but after a couple of years of (at best) indifferent performances Shanahan appears to be stepping up to the plate; fair fecks to him.
Even his tackling seems to have improved significantly recently.
Based on performances over the last couple of years the choice of him over Marshall (who I've a lot of time for) as a deputy utterly baffled me, but maybe there's an ability which has been shown in training, but not on the pitch has been backed. Darting breaks aside, I think there's an extent to which you only notice scrum halves when they mess up, and aside from the a fore mentioned box kick I thought Shanahan was a relatively well oiled cog in a rusty machine.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Marcell can only run in straight lines. He cannot move laterally quick enough to make a tackle if an attacker goes for the gap between, him and his inside/outside defender. He has been caught like this 4 or 5 times this season. It's an easy linebreak for the opposition. It seems to be a mobility issue.

Other than that he played well. Hopefully it is something that can be worked upon.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Dave wrote:Marcell can only run in straight lines. He cannot move laterally quick enough to make a tackle if an attacker goes for the gap between, him and his inside/outside defender. He has been caught like this 4 or 5 times this season. It's an easy linebreak for the opposition. It seems to be a mobility issue.

Other than that he played well. Hopefully it is something that can be worked upon.
About 4-5 seasons ago when Marcell was a regular starter for the Boks, I thought he was a great flanker. Tough, fast, mobile, good hands, tremendous engine etc. I think he has made the same mistake as many others in bulking up too much and losing his athleticism and pace. Now he plays an entirely different game and is nothing like the livewire he used to be (though effective in a more limited way.) Seems more injury prone now too. Interesting that at least a couple of Ireland players (Healy and Henshaw) look better after shedding some bulk.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

How many penalties did coetzee concede?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:How many penalties did coetzee concede?
This has kept me up all night, certainly two high tackles, though I think only one penalised, and at least one not rolling away, an offside definitely. Sorry but much as I try I haven't perfect recall of 80 minutes, so 4/5 probably.

LOOK .......... it's great to see the guy getting 80 minutes but I find it hard to believe he will ever get back to where he was, it's possible we may have to settle for an imperfect version of the great player Marcell definitely was. Ferris points out he is missing huge numbers of tackles on his inside shoulder and it may well be that the knees will not support quick turns and shifts of his bulk.

I still like what he does bring, he just may not be what he could have been. He loves to smash a bloke mind you.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:How many penalties did coetzee concede?
This has kept me up all night, certainly two high tackles, though I think only one penalised, and at least one not rolling away, an offside definitely. Sorry but much as I try I haven't perfect recall of 80 minutes, so 4/5 probably.

LOOK .......... it's great to see the guy getting 80 minutes but I find it hard to believe he will ever get back to where he was, it's possible we may have to settle for an imperfect version of the great player Marcell definitely was. Ferris points out he is missing huge numbers of tackles on his inside shoulder and it may well be that the knees will not support quick turns and shifts of his bulk.

I still like what he does bring, he just may not be what he could have been. He loves to smash a bloke mind you.

Those are the same penalties as I remember. I think one of the high tackles was called by an assistant but was in the same phase when he then got penalised for not rolling away, so obviously only one penalty, amd from memory that “high” tackle was on a guy trying to burrow for the line who was not far off the ground. Penalty yes, but don’t think Marcel could have done much about it. I’d had a few :stout: so can’t say for certain.

Agree with Baggy about Marcel generally and the Ferris “stat” about his tackle count indicates something wrong.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

According to espn, Marcell conceded 3 penalties.

Also, Treadwell: defenders beaten=7.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Anyone mentioned yet that the atmosphere last night was like a morgue?

Maybe it was because the result was (almost) a foregone conclusion, and everyone was waiting to be entertained, but it was the worst and quietest crowd of the season. People just standing around gossiping - woeful.

I don't know if the irony from a small section of the prom (near the clack) was deliberate when with about 15minutes to go, they started singing "it's the Ulster boys makin all the noise". I don't think so, but if it was, well played ... it was the first noise to come from the prom in the entire match.

My own side on the terrace wasn't much better .... but I tried! Honestly,I tried.

It took the handbags and the 5th try near the end to waken most people up! :roll:

Rant over - 5 points gained, new players blooded and hopefully injury to young Lowry aint too bad.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Shanners box kicks are shyte and like beagle before him, he seems to have a big heart. I wonder if Treadwell has been on the forum?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There was a boorish drunk man on the terrace near halfway. He attempted (badly) to start an Ulster chant. It was so bad that nobody could join in. He decided to berate some guys infront of him for not chanting along with him. They turned round and politely advised that they were infact Dragon's fans. Well feck me Sadie but everybody around roared laffin at the drunk clampit.

He later accused some other folk of being kunts for wearing hats. It was then pointed out to him that he also was wearing a hat. He drunkenly felt his head to be sure.

I asked him what part of Coleraine he was from...he didn't answer and briefly shut up.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote:There was a boorish drunk man on the terrace near halfway. He attempted (badly) to start an Ulster chant. It was so bad that nobody could join in. He decided to berate some guys infront of him for not chanting along with him. They turned round and politely advised that they were infact Dragon's fans. Well feck me Sadie but everybody around roared laffin at the drunk clampit.

He later accused some other folk of being kunts for wearing hats. It was then pointed out to him that he also was wearing a hat. He drunkenly felt his head to be sure.

I asked him what part of Coleraine he was from...he didn't answer and briefly shut up.
To be fair Dave, if you could guarantee that level of entertainment each week, I may be persuaded to return to the fold.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BTW - any word on injury to Craig Gilroy last night (or before last night)?

Was struggling and receiving treatment during warm up and took next to no part in that despite being named and announced in the 23.

Right Knee was heavily strapped and he seemed to be suffering back pain every time he tried to field a catch.

Unsurprisingly he didn't come off the bench (if indeed he had not been subbed out of that in favour of another player).

Any word?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:BTW - any word on injury to Craig Gilroy last night (or before last night)?

Was struggling and receiving treatment during warm up and took next to no part in that despite being named and announced in the 23.

Right Knee was heavily strapped and he seemed to be suffering back pain every time he tried to field a catch.

Unsurprisingly he didn't come off the bench (if indeed he had not been subbed out of that in favour of another player).

Any word?
Peter Nelson replaced him on the bench.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:There was a boorish drunk man on the terrace near halfway. He attempted (badly) to start an Ulster chant. It was so bad that nobody could join in. He decided to berate some guys infront of him for not chanting along with him. They turned round and politely advised that they were infact Dragon's fans. Well feck me Sadie but everybody around roared laffin at the drunk clampit.

To be fair Dave, if you could guarantee that level of entertainment each week, I may be persuaded to return to the fold.
I can no problem.