New - Warren Gatland of the week

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Vote for your Warren Gatland of the Week?

Terry "I say" Thomas
No votes
Nigel Owens
11%
Simon Zebo
73%
M'Burney
3%
Donald Trump
14%

Total votes: 37

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: New - Warren Gatland of the week

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Is calling someone a spade racist? Must look on google.

I've never called anyone a spade before btw

So it's an oldie it seems.
I believe it's more of a septic term. See Blazing Saddles. If you haven't seen it, DO see Blazing Saddles. Great movie.
Yer bona fide Norn Irn racist would be more likely to go straight to the N-word.
Nationalist?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Still was a strange insult. Unless Felon was wearing a grey tracksuit and stealing a car at the time?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote:Still was a strange insult. Unless Felon was wearing a grey tracksuit and stealing a car at the time?
Today he'd probably get banned for socio-economic discrimination.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term spade. As black as the ace of spades. Definitely pejorative in use.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:Still was a strange insult. Unless Felon was wearing a grey tracksuit and stealing a car at the time?

For those of you unfamiliar with the term spade. As black as the ace of spades. Definitely pejorative in use.
A potential hate crime...
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:Do we have any corroboration for Crabtree's statement. Was there anyone there other than the perpetrators? Did anyone else provide evidence to the Branch?
Does the Dromore TJ do the door at Ollie's?
Speaking of doors, does anyone have a spare barn one for Rory Best to aim some rugby balls at?
It would need to be a double wide one. :banghead:
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

jackthelad wrote:
Bart S wrote:
BR wrote:Do we have any corroboration for Crabtree's statement. Was there anyone there other than the perpetrators? Did anyone else provide evidence to the Branch?
Does the Dromore TJ do the door at Ollie's?
Speaking of doors, does anyone have a spare barn one for Rory Best to aim some rugby balls at?
It would need to be a double wide one. :banghead:
Barn doors are something Rory probably isn't short off. From memory, I think he has a practice target in one of his barns. The RWC seems a fair way off for Rory at the minute.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote:

1:16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO-aBdzYJtk
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:

Funny thing BR is that the first time I heard “as black as the ace of spades”, it was absolutely intended as a term of endearment, my dad was cricket mad and amongst his very favourite players was Clive Lloyd, who was so laid back as being almost horizontal, made batting look ridiculously easy and appeared to be a complete gent as well. Clive was as black as a man can be and my da’s feelings towards him reverential, however his term of endearment was “the ace” a shortened version.

So yes in common parlance it’s not something that would often be heard today, but the family understood my old man to be simply in awe of one of the true greats.

I must say, at the time Matt used it to Felon, I thought spide was such a greatly descriptive word and entirely appropriate for that nasty spidebastard Armitage. I’d forgotten that Matt had been punished, albeit minor.

Sled Brew was the original putting 2 & 2 together and getting 14. The Dragons were certain that he was referred to repeatedly as n****** and were appropriately outraged. I believe the panel went through the entire BBC soundtrack of the game seeking evidence and of course finding none.

The barracking that lives longest with me was the terrace absolutely roasting Saints winger Brooks and with every successive high kick to him shouts of “it’s coming Brooksie” grew louder. He was owned by the terrace and when he eventually got the shepherds crook, his abuse was transferred to Matt Dawson, who got a bit irked but I think on the whole enjoyed it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Nothing to do with being a digger then? :duck:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote: I’d forgotten that Matt had been punished, albeit minor.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Matt wasn't punished!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Matt wasn't punished!
The whole racism accusation and the uncertainty about the hearing - took a toll on him and his family.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Matt wasn't punished!
The whole racism accusation and the uncertainty about the hearing - took a toll on him and his family.
Absolutely - no arguments there. That was a consequence of being wrongly accused and the hearing wasn't exactly quick in them thar days, so it hung over him for a while before he was exonerated.

It was not a punishment though, for something of which he was acquitted.

I suppose the only good thing was that having been acquitted, he didn't have his contract revoked and be exiled to France.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

This week I nominate Coleraine RFC ( especially the Committee) as thundercûnts of the week.
LadyP
Novice

Post by LadyP »

Twitter updates.

Coleraine are starting to fight back, a former captain and owner of CPHire has publicly stated that the referee made it all up and there was a rugby assessor there who never witnessed anything and dozens of signed statements from members of the club, Mark Simpson has challenged him and asked for an interview , he has now blocked his twitter account and went to ground, so we can take that defence as bullshit then, I hope Simpson doorsteps him,

Bangor formers players weighing in to defend Dromore who were the opposition and give a very corporate reply, general feeling is that why is Dromore being involved well Ricky and Mark of Bangor would that be because Dromore members do know some of the culprits, would that be Dromore spectators stood by and ignored it and therefore part of the story.

Surely if an assessor was there , this matter would have been resolved a long time ago

General feeling from some, it’s only banter get on with it
"This doesn't look good Parker"
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Were there any DRFC spectators?
www.stoutboys.co.uk