Michael Lowry the new Jack Kyle

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: Michael Lowry the new Jack Kyle

Post by jackthelad »

Dave wrote:As a contemporary rap artist, I'm offended.
better offended than rear ended
I pity the poor fool like one in ten did.
hating this shyt is truly splendid
I think your muse should be amended
Or very soon you'' be unbefriended
as rap is the crud not recommended
like a pair of testicles undescended
or a musket all distended.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

jackthelad wrote:
Dave wrote:As a contemporary rap artist, I'm offended.
better offended than rear ended
I pity the poor fool like one in ten did.
hating this shyt is truly splendid
I think your muse should be amended
Or very soon you'' be unbefriended
as rap is the crud not recommended
like a pair of testicles undescended
or a musket all distended.
Yo dawg....respekt
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

UlsterNo9 wrote:On the comaprison stakes to Lowry, he reminds me of Matthew Morgan the Cardiff full back. Slight of build and very jinky, extremely hard for defenders to put a finger on.
My thoughts also. I hope his career is more rewarding than Morgan's as it isn't as good as his talent deserves.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Aird wrote:Like many on here I would rate both Kyle and Gibson above BOD. I am probably one of the few on here that have played on teams against both of these greats, in Kyle's case it was in his twilight playing careers at full back for North Thirds and in Gibson's case it was in a School cup quarter final.
I have heard Kyle speak at a couple of events and have been impressed but Gibson's versatiliy and ability to play multiple positions at the top level of the sport probably puts him ahead as a player. Whist many were impressed by Gibson's attacking ability his defence was very effective too.

Aird, that places you in a vintage where respect is due, I appear to be a mere whippersnapper rather than the ould lad I often feel.

I really think you should be renamed "The Laird" and you are far too modest, you are the only one to have played against both, I'd put Ron'n's life on it.

I kind of hinted too about the versatility thing too, what some of the youngsters here - the under 60s - may not know is that Gibby was by a distance the best 10 in the country, but the FIRFU had a liking for Fat Barry McGann's kicking game and thought Mike would easily transfer to centre, and they were right. I saw him playing for Ireland in the 10, 12, 13 & 14 shirts, he was at 14 in Paris in 1978 if memory serves, the day after the La Mon bomb I think.

I also saw him score 2 tries at Twickenham in a 21-26 win for Ireland in 1974, but amongst my favourite memories was Twickenham 1972 when a late Kevin Flynn try (memorialised pictorially on the wall at Wanderers for many years) and as Flynn scored the late winner Gibson was caught in the picture in mid-air hurdling the failed tackler and celebrating.

Last but not least, his international career spanned 1964 to 1979, testimony to his fitness, barely missing a match. Nowadays that would give him about 150 caps or more, then 69 starts was his lot plus 10 or 12 for the Lions I suppose.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

A future Lion, FFS everybody calm down.

Saying that, is Matt Dalton the new Willie John?
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Is Matt Dillon the new John Wayne?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Aird wrote:Like many on here I would rate both Kyle and Gibson above BOD. I am probably one of the few on here that have played on teams against both of these greats, in Kyle's case it was in his twilight playing careers at full back for North Thirds and in Gibson's case it was in a School cup quarter final.
I have heard Kyle speak at a couple of events and have been impressed but Gibson's versatiliy and ability to play multiple positions at the top level of the sport probably puts him ahead as a player. Whist many were impressed by Gibson's attacking ability his defence was very effective too.
Aird, I played against both of them too, in much the same circumstances (though played Gibson after school days). Was always impressed that Jack Kyle just kept playing down through the ranks rather than retiring at his peak. He was quite a chubby little figure by then (probably 40 ish) with socks around his ankles, unfit and playing for the fun of it, but was still a lovely mover and beautiful passer. It was sad that Kyle was not selected for the 1955 Lions in S.A. simply because they had a policy of not picking anyone aged 30 (his age) or over.
Another forgotten, but brilliant Ulster back of the times (a little later than Kyle and earlier than Gibson) was centre David Hewitt (Inst/Instonians.) Capped at 18, two Lions tours, lightening fast, great step and good goal kicker. Sadly he had to retire with repeated hamstring problems in his mid 20s or so.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

If my memory is correct Mike Gibson and Michael Gibson played on the Irish team together against Scotland. The latter was a number 8 ftom Lansdowne.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Jackie came to our work one time and me and a mate went along to hear the great man. He bored the absolute hoop off us talking about tropical medicine for a whole hour. A friend also did a medical elective with him in Zambia towards the end of his stint there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Like I have saying for a long time. He’s a star but let’s not get ahead of ourselves yet.

When will the others I have mentioned come through. Only a matter of time if all goes to plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

kingofthehill wrote:Like I have saying for a long time. He’s a star but let’s not get ahead of ourselves yet.

When will the others I have mentioned come through. Only a matter of time if all goes to plan!

Not the best of returns from that Inst golden generation that said.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

kingofthehill wrote: When will the others I have mentioned come through. Only a matter of time if all goes to plan!
Sorry KOTH I've been sitting at the back of the class and not paying attention.

Who are the others you would say are nailed on?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jetstream wrote:If my memory is correct Mike Gibson and Michael Gibson played on the Irish team together against Scotland. The latter was a number 8 ftom Lansdowne.
You are correct Jetstream, another game I was at, an 11-11 draw on one of the windiest days I can recall. Mike was on the right wing, Michael no 8. There was another Ulster legend playing that day, Colin Patterson who scored both Irish tries.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:
Aird, I played against both of them too, in much the same circumstances (though played Gibson after school days). Was always impressed that Jack Kyle just kept playing down through the ranks rather than retiring at his peak. He was quite a chubby little figure by then (probably 40 ish) with socks around his ankles, unfit and playing for the fun of it, but was still a lovely mover and beautiful passer. It was sad that Kyle was not selected for the 1955 Lions in S.A. simply because they had a policy of not picking anyone aged 30 (his age) or over.
Another forgotten, but brilliant Ulster back of the times (a little later than Kyle and earlier than Gibson) was centre David Hewitt (Inst/Instonians.) Capped at 18, two Lions tours, lightening fast, great step and good goal kicker. Sadly he had to retire with repeated hamstring problems in his mid 20s or so.
Boys oh, looks like Ron'n's for the chop. Fair play Spiffer. My father shared your opinion of Dave Hewitt. :thumleft:
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

My first meeting with Jack Kyle was an a URSC meeting a number of years back. During our conversation he mentioned that he'd lost most of his memorabilia many years previously in a house fire.
My late father in law played on a couple of Ulster teams with Jack and I copied a couple of the team photos and sent them to him via the URSC Secretary at the time.
A couple of weeks later I answered the phone one evening to find Jack at the other end. He thanked me for the photos and proceeded to chat for about 45 minutes about his playing days. He was very humble and was much more proud of his medical service in Africa than his Irish and Lions caps. :fleg: