Scarlets trilogy

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

TopPoster
Initiate

Re: Scarlets trilogy

Post by TopPoster »

Dave wrote:To think the squad had too much talent to allow Pienaar to stay. What a stabilising influence he could have been yesterday.

Nuciwank is clueless.
What boils my pish is that I firmly believe there was room for Ruan and Cooney. I reckon St Ruan would have stayed even if the deal was Cooney would be first choice to benefit FIRFU. It boils it even more that we have to live with shananananahan when Cooney is away not playing for FIRFU, yet do Munster have to live with their homegrown backup 9s when Murray is off for a few weeks sick leave? Do they fcuk. Now that Murray is back has Mathewson left? Has he fcuk.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Problems (some of):
Burns, not nearly intelligent enough, good enough or consistent enough.
Speight, there's a reason why he's not in the Aussie set up.
Marcell, a player in terminal decline.

Solution:
Do whatever it takes to get Jackson back.
Jettison all the NIQs and the substandard.
Batten down the hatches for the rest of this season and next. Continue to invest in the youngsters who are doing all right.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and have a good summer.
Fair enough assessment, except I'd add another 18 to 24 months onto your time line which I'm sure you wouldn't necessarily disagree with.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

To be honest losing to the Scarlets in Wales is no BIG surprise and unworthy of half the heap of dung being flung in anger.

BUT that said --Burns was never expected to be a great out half -- competent yes -- but never the International Standard of the Prince. Agreed his kicking last night was substandard and being so meant the Ulster attack had no alternative to the ball out the back .

The referee was a ball Watcher thus only blew for off side on players who failed to retire far enough after the tackle . Getting man and ball on a deep backline all night can only be achieved if lying off side.

The lack of a natural 12 didn't help as the ball went across the backline with nobody running onto it.

Cave was only named on the bench because the cupboard was bare how anyone would expect a centre to play with a hand strapped completely , really smell the coffee he was making up the 23 .

Except for the third try I consider the Ulster defence stood up well realising that Scarlets had nearly 70% of the possession and 50% of that at least was inside the Ulster 22 .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rumncoke wrote:To be honest losing to the Scarlets in Wales is no BIG surprise and unworthy of half the heap of dung being flung in anger.

BUT that said --Burns was never expected to be a great out half -- competent yes -- but never the International Standard of the Prince. Agreed his kicking last night was substandard and being so meant the Ulster attack had no alternative to the ball out the back .

The referee was a ball Watcher thus only blew for off side on players who failed to retire far enough after the tackle . Getting man and ball on a deep backline all night can only be achieved if lying off side.

The lack of a natural 12 didn't help as the ball went across the backline with nobody running onto it.

Cave was only named on the bench because the cupboard was bare how anyone would expect a centre to play with a hand strapped completely , really smell the coffee he was making up the 23 .

Except for the third try I consider the Ulster defence stood up well realising that Scarlets had nearly 70% of the possession and 50% of that at least was inside the Ulster 22 .
Ron'n, there will be those who regret my quoting your words, but when you have it more or less spot on, I believe that those who do not normally see your posts should have the opportunity.

I will add a few things:

- the defence stiffened it's resolve the closer the Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalets came to the line but wasn't wonderful in areas where there was more space, hence they spent a ridiculous amount of time deep in our 22.

- part of the reason for that is, with Shanahan's pass it is almost impossible for any 10 to clear the ball as you would hope.

- it is a great shame that no other part of Shanahan's game comes even close to his ability to run great support lines. He is otherwise gruesome, however having scored 5 tries without beating a single defender that says it all, the rest of his game licks balls.

- am I alone in seeing just enough from Nagle to imagine he could be useful given some playing time?

That's all folks................. on the game, no surprise and some should realise that it could have been an absolute bloodbath, no points means no consolation, albeit I'll take some that a side so raw and full of holes "only" conceded 4 tries when defending all night barring the first 20 minutes, and yes even if the home team was much depleted, they haven't been undefeated at home in 20 + matches by not having depth in their squad.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Problems (some of):
Burns, not nearly intelligent enough, good enough or consistent enough.
Speight, there's a reason why he's not in the Aussie set up.
Marcell, a player in terminal decline.

Solution:
Do whatever it takes to get Jackson back.
Jettison all the NIQs and the substandard.
Batten down the hatches for the rest of this season and next. Continue to invest in the youngsters who are doing all right.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and have a good summer.
>appl >appl >appl

Until next summer when I shall expect post 22828 from you. >EW

Sadly, there is no money to bring Jackson back and I doubt it would be sanctioned barring in extremis, for Ireland, not Ulster, that doesn't matter one iota.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Sue Dename
Novice

Post by Sue Dename »

Tender wrote:What we have, we hold.
Is Dan Dan the coaching man, getting the best out of what we have?

Sainsbury’s has 1ltr bottles of Bombay Sapphire on offer for £20.
Too much perfume - girlie drink
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

The no 10 situation would be solved if we played our best no 10 in his proper position. Move Ludik to full-back and Lowry to out-half. This time next year he'll be at least as good as Jackson, and maybe better.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Its ok lads

Next is The Empire Strikes Back
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Where has McPhilips vanished to ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:Where has McPhilips vanished to ?
Think he played for Hinch today.

Now whilst i like the fact that the young 10’s are getting some gametime (even in the UBL) rather than surfing the pine for ulster, it does seem as though Dan is no big fan of mcphillips. IIRC Burns has started all bar the Dragons game this season and whilst has been ok at times, has hardly set the world on fire. Mcphillips finished last season well and has looked decent when he has got time for ulster this season. Surely he has deserved more of a go?

I can only assume he is being punished after being caught sending a whatsapp to the Hond.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

McP is a frustration. No consistency. Last saw him v Uruguay and he had one of his trough evenings.

I also confess to being somewhat amused at the "Shanners is brilliant" brigade when he scores, like it's a 9s main role to run support lines and finish off certs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Even when McPhillips has played well I've always thought he tended to stifle back play. Can have a great boot on him and a much better break than I initially thought but I've never thought he lets things flow.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hands up if you want to see Lowry get a run at 10...

Addison at fullback and DC at 13. Bring on Hume for some impact.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

therealspratt wrote:Even when McPhillips has played well I've always thought he tended to stifle back play. Can have a great boot on him and a much better break than I initially thought but I've never thought he lets things flow.
I agree to the extent that he is clearly not Paddy Jackson material, however I am growing increasingly impatient to see William Burns show that is any better than Stanley, Livingstone or Barbara for that matter, and was was the name of that highly forgettable Bath star who actually played for Richmond thirds.

We've spunked a fortune on ludicrously poor players. Are you listening Hond?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Hands up if you want to see Lowry get a run at 10...

Addison at fullback and DC at 13. Bring on Hume for some impact.
Sounds good to me, when is it happening ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best