Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by Shan »

Fair point Rooster. Many in her position would have walked after forcing a clueless election which backfired. Ultimately though the decision may not be her own. The Tories have form for ousting female leaders.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:So I see May is now saying that those who don't vote for her deal are placing Brexit itself at risk. I assume she'll have to go if the vote goes against her.
That's a good incentive to vote against her deal.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Deal or no deal. Should just get the red boxes into Westminster which would be slightly more entertaining that listening to politicians bulling on.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

I might be in the minority here but I'm really enjoying Brexit.
It's so entertaining with all these real characters indulging in shenanigans.
That said I really hope we stay as part of Britain as I don't think the South can afford to keep us.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Hi Baz
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Defeated 432 to 202.

That is an ass fcuking.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Indeed it is. It will be interesting to see what the EU reaction will be.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I suppose it is no surprise that Corbyn has tabled a motion of no confidence in the government. That will be defeated tomorrow and on they will go. If it wasn't for the implications to Ireland I suspect the EU would tell them to f-ck off with no deal.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

So I hear that Arlene said there was never a hard border on this island. That's a bit creative.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The problem is this has always been May's plan and she gets it! She has not talked to anyone in the past two years and will not now. The no-deal scenario keeps the Tory party united and to hell with everyone else. I cannot see how Parliament can stop a no-deal scenario so out we go on the 29th March and it will be a catastrophe for Ireland, the UK, and Europe BUT in that order of magnitude. Still the Sixties were not that bad! My greatest fear is the sell-out to the USA. Today's US is so different to the generosity of the Marshall plan after the WWII and even to the principles of the first Republic.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Once she had f*cked up the election and lost her majority, the only way that agreement on Brexit was conceivably possible was with some sort of cross party approach.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:So I hear that Arlene said there was never a hard border on this island. That's a bit creative.
Someone found older footage of her reminiscing about a hard border. She grew up in Fermanagh ffs. Absolute clown.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Shan wrote:So I hear that Arlene said there was never a hard border on this island. That's a bit creative.
Someone found older footage of her reminiscing about a hard border. She grew up in Fermanagh ffs. Absolute clown.
Probably took great pride in never having set foot in the Free State mind :roll: Arlene is Bitter Orange personified.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Depends on what you mean by hard or soft.

What many regarded as a hard border was nothing to do with customs and everything to do with security.

Prior to that there were customs posts but (and I may be wrong in this) most cars and light vans etc passed freely through without hassle. Larger goods vehicles were prone to checks, but even then not all, or so I have been led to believe.

Possibly you could call it a soft-boiled border, but nothing like the queues of vehicles that have been witnessed at other borders.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Depends on what you mean by hard or soft.

What many regarded as a hard border was nothing to do with customs and everything to do with security.

Prior to that there were customs posts but (and I may be wrong in this) most cars and light vans etc passed freely through without hassle. Larger goods vehicles were prone to checks, but even then not all, or so I have been led to believe.

Possibly you could call it a soft-boiled border, but nothing like the queues of vehicles that have been witnessed at other borders.
That is why I very carefully used the word "creative". However thank you Arlene for the input. :D