Ulster Vs Benetton Fri 25th @ 7.35pm Live Freesports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster Vs Benetton Fri 25th @ 7.35pm Live Freesports

Post by Amiga500 »

Jetstream wrote:I like a game played to the rules.
You would not like a game of rugby that was refereed to every pedantic facet of every law.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

We got out of jail, but it’s still likely to be a hugely negative result when everything gets totted up at the end of April.

Add that to the inter-pros and there’s a case to say that we haven’t got selection right in the last 6 weeks, notwithstanding having scraped a couple of excellent wins by the narrowest of margins in Europe.
Pablo
Novice

Post by Pablo »

Nigel delivered what he always delivers a consistent professional approach. The pen try would not have been given by a large number of his peers. Not sure i would have had much faith in anybody giving us the extras otherwise. Benneton must be gutted.
Jetstream
Squire

Post by Jetstream »

Not blaming Nigel. I agree we looked more fluid with Lowry and Stewart. I feel sorry for Burns. He should not be playing. His body needs a rest.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Nigel was as bad from a Treviso point of view.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The game was another example of why ulster need a Muller type NIQ now more than ever. We had no leadership or direction on the pitch. Rory will likely be gone after this season and I don't think Marcel is the right one. There was a strong wind in the 2nd half and we didn't use it once. Since when did playing for territory become unfashionable?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

jean valjean wrote:The game was another example of why ulster need a Muller type NIQ now more than ever. We had no leadership or direction on the pitch. Rory will likely be gone after this season and I don't think Marcel is the right one. There was a strong wind in the 2nd half and we didn't use it once. Since when did playing for territory become unfashionable?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Agreed - there seemed to be no real leaders on the pitch for Ulster last night. Hopefully Sam Carter will fill that NIQ void if and when he arrives.
Whilst there was undoubtedly plenty of effort from the youngsters last night, we seemed to be tactically inept. In the first 5-10 minutes we tried a few chips over the Treviso defence and they nearly worked. However, after that we just stopped trying and opted for an attritional game which made little or no ground and no progress bar one or two half breaks. It was just bish bash bosh hoping for the opposition to make a mistake. In defence it was the same - no commitment to the ruck and no jackling - just tackling and hoping for a Treviso mistake.
Hope is not a strategy.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Billy Burns isn't good enough.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Ruck.
Look at the ball sitting there all lovely.
Look at it a bit more.
Decide not to pass as we have to box kick.
Take up the box kick pose just to telegraph it even more.
Ignore the collective sigh from the crowd.
Box kick the laces off it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I thought Benetton were a bit naive at the end. With any other ref but Nigel, possibly/probably the right thing, but with Nigel, you know he will make the hard or even controversial decisions. Not that I'm saying he was wrong - he wasn't, but other ref's might not have given it.

I even saw it coming - indeed predicted the penalty try (MUM can confirm) - the driving maul, them bringing it down illegally and Nigel going between the sticks. Instead of bringing it down, they would have been better to let us score out wide and take their chances on the conversion from near the touchline. We hadn't put one between the posts in the previous 80 minutes, and it would have been hard enough then.

They would probably have won by two points and gone away with a three point advantage over us in the conference.

Easy to say with hindsight I suppose as the natural thing to do is defend everything, illegally if you must, but before going into that last lineout they should at least have considered what to do if faced with the driving maul. If I could call it, Shirley they could at least have thought of it? It was after all, the most obvious play for Ulster. A try conceded out wide is preferable to a seven pointer.

Anyway, a crap match, crap atmosphere - crowd not interested in supporting - crap result. Best thing we can say is that we stay level with Benetton rather than going three behind.Wonder will those three points be significant at the end of the season? I would hate us to be needing something from the Leinster match at the very end ... especially with them looking for revenge after we knock them out of the Heiny. :lol:

I'm allowed to dream, am I not?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Deraless wrote:Ruck.
Look at it a bit more.

What outcome does he hope to achieve?

**I'm going to ten metre box kick the ball all the way up the pitch**
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I thought Benetton were a bit naive at the end. With any other ref but Nigel, possibly/probably the right thing, but with Nigel, you know he will make the hard or even controversial decisions. Not that I'm saying he was wrong - he wasn't, but other ref's might not have given it.

I even saw it coming - indeed predicted the penalty try (MUM can confirm) - the driving maul, them bringing it down illegally and Nigel going between the sticks. Instead of bringing it down, they would have been better to let us score out wide and take their chances on the conversion from near the touchline. We hadn't put one between the posts in the previous 80 minutes, and it would have been hard enough then.

They would probably have won by two points and gone away with a three point advantage over us in the conference.

Easy to say with hindsight I suppose as the natural thing to do is defend everything, illegally if you must, but before going into that last lineout they should at least have considered what to do if faced with the driving maul. If I could call it, Shirley they could at least have thought of it? It was after all, the most obvious play for Ulster. A try conceded out wide is preferable to a seven pointer.

Anyway, a crap match, crap atmosphere - crowd not interested in supporting - crap result. Best thing we can say is that we stay level with Benetton rather than going three behind.Wonder will those three points be significant at the end of the season? I would hate us to be needing something from the Leinster match at the very end ... especially with them looking for revenge after we knock them out of the Heiny. :lol:

I thought giving the penalty try was a bit much though since the try was actually scored.
One of those situations where a team has an advantage but the penalty is only called if they fail to score whether from a drop goal or a try.
It's like every game must have a NIgel moment. Last time it was the lecture for Zebo.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
Look at it a bit more.

What outcome does he hope to achieve?

**I'm going to ten metre box kick the ball all the way up the pitch**
Add: "point to everybody in the back line".
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

WeeWorld wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:I thought Benetton were a bit naive at the end. With any other ref but Nigel, possibly/probably the right thing, but with Nigel, you know he will make the hard or even controversial decisions. Not that I'm saying he was wrong - he wasn't, but other ref's might not have given it.

I thought giving the penalty try was a bit much though since the try was actually scored.
One of those situations where a team has an advantage but the penalty is only called if they fail to score whether from a drop goal or a try.
It's like every game must have a NIgel moment. Last time it was the lecture for Zebo.
It should be awarded though. Why should the attacking team be penalised for grounding the ball? We did ground it then did we? At least my unbeated record is still intact even if my 100% one is gone - only game I've missed this season is Connacht. :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Look at it a bit more.

Watching Pyrgos for Edinburgh against Montpelier the other week and not only did he box kick almost every time, he took an age over every one.

Deraless wrote: Take up the box kick pose just to telegraph it even more.
It's only in this last week or two that I've seen scrum halves set up for a box kick only to then pass it instead.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!