Brexit - now we see what it means.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

promenader 2
Initiate

Re: Brexit - now we see what it means.

Post by promenader 2 »

rumncoke wrote:for some reason I didn't ?

For years Ireland existed in two bits long before both bits were in the EU

So what's different

The smugglers get richer quicker !!!
Ireland has always existed in one bit. I got a C in Geography O level, so trust me on this :thumleft:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Setanta wrote:Better to be pedantic than a stranger to the truth! :cheers:
I know what you mean ... you mean Merv shouldn't be paid to be a primary school teacher. :thumleft: :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Jim W
Novice

Post by Jim W »

big mervyn wrote: Far as I know, every constituency here bar N Antrim voted to remain.
Seven of the 18 NI constituencies voted to leave: Belfast East; East Antrim; Lagan Valley; North Antrim; South Antrim; Strangford, and Upper Bann. There was also only a very small majority for "Remain" in Belfast North.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Stupid loyalists.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Jim W wrote:
big mervyn wrote: Far as I know, every constituency here bar N Antrim voted to remain.
Seven of the 18 NI constituencies voted to leave: Belfast East; East Antrim; Lagan Valley; North Antrim; South Antrim; Strangford, and Upper Bann. There was also only a very small majority for "Remain" in Belfast North.
Full result HERE

Hard not to think that the DUP Sheep especially the ones in East Belfast, Lagan Valley and North Antrim were behind many of those leave votes.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Just had a browse of the full results myself. The deeper I looked the more I realised how little I actually have in common with those south of Hadrian's wall on the bigger island. Bring on the border poll.
Paul.

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

pwrmoore wrote:
Jim W wrote:
Full result HERE

Hard not to think that the DUP Sheep especially the ones in East Belfast, Lagan Valley and North Antrim were behind many of those leave votes.
More like DUP turkeys voting for Xmas. A lot of canny shinners also abstained from voting, knowing Brexit would weaken the union - hence the slightly underwhelming support for Remain in W Belfast.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pwrmoore wrote:Just had a browse of the full results myself. The deeper I looked the more I realised how little I actually have in common with those south of Hadrian's wall on the bigger island.
So you had a deep look at the results of a single issue referendum* and it made you realise how little you have in common with some other people? Are you saying you can only have things in common with others if they vote the same way as you did in a yes/no referendum on one issue, even if it is a biggy?

By the same token it implies you have lots in common with those who voted the same as you, even though you cannot know anything else about them simply by looking at the results.

That's a bit shallow, is it not?

*Yes I know there are many issues involved in how those votes were cast in that referendum, but those issues are many and varied and can in no way be read simply from the poll votes. :stir:
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

All the GAWA UVF pradisan heartlands voted leave. They can fcuk off.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:All the GAWA UVF pradisan heartlands voted leave. They can fcuk off.
The very definition of democracy.

Very good Dave.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:All the GAWA UVF pradisan heartlands voted leave. They can fcuk off.
The very definition of democracy.

Very good Dave.
Thanks Cap
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: I know what you mean ... you mean Merv shouldn't be paid to be a primary school teacher. :thumleft: :lol:
Ballix. He'd be in the Top 1%......not that this necessarily says an awful lot given the state of the education system in NI. What you lot really need is some proper southern education standards in yer system and if yer not careful that is what ye will be getting. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:Just had a browse of the full results myself. The deeper I looked the more I realised how little I actually have in common with those south of Hadrian's wall on the bigger island.
So you had a deep look at the results of a single issue referendum* and it made you realise how little you have in common with some other people? Are you saying you can only have things in common with others if they vote the same way as you did in a yes/no referendum on one issue, even if it is a biggy?

By the same token it implies you have lots in common with those who voted the same as you, even though you cannot know anything else about them simply by looking at the results.

*Yes I know there are many issues involved in how those votes were cast in that referendum, but those issues are many and varied and can in no way be read simply from the poll votes. :stir:
I don't think I'm shallow at all. Let's just say this has helped crystalize some thoughts that have been forming over the past several years (pre and post referendum) of reading debates, opinions, propositions, arguments, counter-arguments, analyses etc.

And this is a big issue. I don't like the general trend to the right of the "mainstream" in this dis-united kingdom of ours and I am more and more of the opinion that it does not represent an identity that I feel I can align with.
Paul.

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pwrmoore wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

I don't think I'm shallow at all. Let's just say this has helped crystalize some thoughts that have been forming over the past several years (pre and post referendum) of reading debates, opinions, propositions, arguments, counter-arguments, analyses etc.

And this is a big issue. I don't like the general trend to the right of the "mainstream" in this dis-united kingdom of ours and I am more and more of the opinion that it does not represent an identity that I feel I can align with.
I don't think you're shallow either.

It's obvious now that your realisation that you have little in common with those south of yer man's wall has come about over several years and from different fora, and not just from re-reading the results of the referendum.

So why didn't ya say that in the first place ya eejit, ya? :lol:

Must admit though that I don't like the general trend of Bremainers to disparage Brexiters as any or all of, racists, xenophobes, sheep, turkeys or simply stupid. Now I know you are a sensible man and I'm not saying you are guilty of that, but would advise caution against even leaning that way.

I know several people who voted leave who most definitely are none of the above and would be very offended at the accusation they are DUP supporters let alone their sheep or turkeys. I know of those who voted leave on a matter of principle ... now some others may not agree with that principle ... but that doesn't mean they should be dismissed as racist, xenophobic or whatever, and certainly not stupid (whatever others may think).

I have little doubt that racists and xenophobes etc do exist, but to label all brexiteers as such does no one any credit.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:[I know several people who voted leave who most definitely are none of the above and would be very offended at the accusation they are DUP supporters let alone their sheep or turkeys. I know of those who voted leave on a matter of principle ... now some others may not agree with that principle ... but that doesn't mean they should be dismissed as racist, xenophobic or whatever, and certainly not stupid (whatever others may think).
Analyses of voting patterns and a cursory glance at the Engerlish media's frequent vox pops from Leave constituencies (why do they always interview racist market stall holders?) would strongly suggest that the vast majority of them are. Having said that, my own unscientific analysis would also suggest that the even NI Leavers are possibly smarter than Lionel Remainers :lol:

http://www.populus.co.uk/insights/2016/ ... upporters/
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall