Dragons Away

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Dragons Away

Post by Setanta »

Congratulations to all the Ulsterboys; bonus point in a wet, muddy Newport with the referee against ye, proud of you. I also had to listen to a German commentatror who supported Dragons frae the KO. (Must have been laid the night before.) Worse than Gusher he was!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

We're not winning pretty but we're winning. Ulster of old would've imploded when going down to 13 but they dug in and got the BP. Job done.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
I tip my hat to CRoss bar one knock he has carried like a lion.
100% this. Cross was just behind EOS as MOM imo. Trojan effort same as last week. Playing for his contract? Unheralded hero and the sort of low profile player who just does his job efficiently and unfussily. Cant remember ever letting us down >appl
And he's not Mexican..... >EW
Exterminate all rational thought
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Great hard nosed game by the Ulster pack who finally look somewhat organized.
Billy Burns continues to look nothing special - he's had a long time to show his stuff.
Eric O'Sullivan and Balocoune look likely future Ireland internationals.
Timoney now looks at least as good as J.Murphy as an all-purpose backrower. He carries more strongly and has more gas.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

*Baloucoune
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Really good solid five points. Workmanlike but that's ok aainst Dragons. Very impressive to play such disciplined rugby and score while down to 13.

Sento, your commentator may have been one-eyed, ours was clearly McCloskey's da. From his bigging him up, you would have thought the big lad was the new BOD. Tbh he didn't do anythinv special today. As others have said on this forum, I wonder if the guile and subtlety has been coached out of him.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Timoney had a very good game but he’s been fairly quiet prior to that this season. Reidy and Ross outshone him last week. Hitting form at just the right time though.

That BP try was tremendous stuff.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Spiffsson wrote:Great hard nosed game by the Ulster pack who finally look somewhat organized.
Billy Burns continues to look nothing special - he's had a long time to show his stuff.
Eric O'Sullivan and Balocoune look likely future Ireland internationals.
Timoney now looks at least as good as J.Murphy as an all-purpose backrower. He carries more strongly and has more gas.
Burns is keek. McPhillips must've rid McFarlands missus/ bf/ dog/ cat to not get a look in.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

solidarity wrote:Really good solid five points. Workmanlike but that's ok aainst Dragons. Very impressive to play such disciplined rugby and score while down to 13.

Sento, your commentator may have been one-eyed, ours was clearly McCloskey's da. From his bigging him up, you would have thought the big lad was the new BOD. Tbh he didn't do anythinv special today. As others have said on this forum, I wonder if the guile and subtlety has been coached out of him.
I thought McCloskey was excellent today. He ran more metres than any other player with no clean breaks, so he was definitely running at defenders. It was an up the jumper day made for the big fella. During the phase play leading up to the last try he was instrumental. The pack would zig zag it up the pitch than it would go to big Stu for another few yards, then back to the pack again. They repeated this pattern and it seemed very much coordinated.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

solidarity wrote:Really good solid five points. Workmanlike but that's ok aainst Dragons. Very impressive to play such disciplined rugby and score while down to 13.

McCloskey is effective at this level, but far from international standard. Was the commentator not Eddie Butler?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Eddie Butler it was.

Fair point Dave, in the last quarter he was making the pack into nine men. And, again, I didn't appreciate the hard yards won. I just don't think using his build to bash his way through is all that he has to his game. He'd be a better player if he could have a bit of flash every now and then.

You know, maybe it's just rhat I'm starting to fal out of love with a game that becomes more like rugby league every day.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

I tell u what, we will need big stu for the trip to the toilet bowl at the end of the month. He has carried this team in many games this year and makes more yards than any of our pack. A bit like vdm a couple of seasons ago, we'd be in a hell of a lot worse place without him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I think Big Stu suffers from following NI in France rather than waiting on Schmidt to give him a ring. He is incredibly effective, always makes yards and constantly looking for that offload. Need the likes of Lyttle to get on his shoulder.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

McCloskey definitely takes a bit of pressure off the pack, but have to say the forwards really are starting to look like a strong unit. We now have quite a few players that give us go forward yards, and a front row that get a serious amount of work done round the pitch.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Still not convince about Billy Burns.