Six Nations 18/19

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Six Nations 18/19

Post by Bart S »

if Joe should be thinking hard about the likes of Kearney, Sexton and Murray, then he should also be doing so regarding his ageing captain, whose influential contributions on games have been diminishing for quite some time.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Shan wrote:The thing is even if Paddy Jackson had not been run out of town Joe still would not have selected him. He is clear that he is only interested in selecting Sexton.
PJ was looking like a genuine contender and successor a couple of seasons ago, albeit he hasn’t made much if an impact this season in the Top 14.

I thought Carty did well in the times he has been on. Carbery also recovered wellagainst Scotland.

I am a big fan of Sexton as a player and would have thought the idea of him being challenged by the world cup was far fetched, but sadly his recent decline makes this a serious question.

The people whi have done “well” for ireland in this tournament are the likes of Toner, Hendy and Carbery, through not being involved in the disappointing oerformances.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Bart S wrote:if Joe should be thinking hard about the likes of Kearney, Sexton and Murray, then he should also be doing so regarding his ageing captain, whose influential contributions on games have been diminishing for quite some time.
Not for the first time you are correct Bart. Folk here don't like it and I was hesitant to mention it but Kearney is not the only one that Joe was hoping to cotton wool through to the RWC.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Frank
Novice

Post by Frank »

Shan wrote:
Bart S wrote:if Joe should be thinking hard about the likes of Kearney, Sexton and Murray, then he should also be doing so regarding his ageing captain, whose influential contributions on games have been diminishing for quite some time.
Not for the first time you are correct Bart. Folk here don't like it and I was hesitant to mention it but Kearney is not the only one that Joe was hoping to cotton wool through to the RWC.
This train of to thought is spot on.
Reminds me of England 2004 in terms of a side whose core players are visibly past their peak.
Stringer talks about Toner etc but really Larmour, Leavy, Beirne, Hendy, Murphy even Carberry need to bring a fresh energy to this side.
Larmour particularly should be a shoe in by now but he needs broken play situations to be created for him to be effective.
Getting him to chase kicks all day is like buying a Ferrari and leaving it in the garage.
Warburton spot on with his analysis when he said Wales are a team of jackalers as opposed to Ireland just sending in POM and a select few into compete who can be identified and picked off.

The one consolation is that at least no one has any expectancy now going into the world cup and the pressure is off.
Just go for it would be the message.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Everybody or at least most were of the opinion that Ireland’s hope in the RWC rest on an injury free half back pairing of Sexton and Murray .

The difference between good and bad is down to nano seconds and inches — take Sextons kick off to the corner six inches past the corner flag instead of sixes inches in front .

A foot is the difference between hero and zero

There was also the impression all Ireland had to do was turn up to get though the group in the World Cup

The Scots to day have shown they are no walk over and Samoa are and always have been dangerous opponents when they get time to gel a squad together .

But to be honest Joe is a better coach than either EoS or Kidney and the squad has better depth except at out half .

Carberry has gained nothing from this 6 nations — Byrne and Carty have very little experience at International level but I do believe the cover at Scrum half is slightly better .

So come the World Cup the zero has to become a hero because the IRFU shot themselves in the foot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Yeah start Cronin.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote: Yeah start Cronin.
Scannell should have been given more gametime.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:
Lol
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:The thing is even if Paddy Jackson had not been run out of town Joe still would not have selected him. He is clear that he is only interested in selecting Sexton.
Big difference though is Sexton knows he will get picked, pre incident Jackson was pushing him for the shirt which in turn focussed Sexton and kept him pushing his case to start, now he knows no one else is near starting
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:
Shan wrote:
Lol
Dave wrote:
Shan wrote:
Lol
Dave he may be an ulsterman but he is declining and offers little in the loose these days. Last summer he wasn’t missed when ireland won the series in Oz.

Deriding Scannel is like deriding Carty, Cooney or anyone else who has hardly had a decent chance.

People are quite happy to moan about Keanrey always being picked and no alternatives tried, yet the same doesn’t apply to Rory Best.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:Big difference though is Sexton knows he will get picked, pre incident Jackson was pushing him for the shirt which in turn focussed Sexton and kept him pushing his case to start, now he knows no one else is near starting
Now I know as well as you that this makes logical sense but I still think Joe would have continued with Sexton regardless of form up to and including the RWC.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Crazy thing was he should have emptied the bench at 60 mins as match was over anyway and it would have given the bench game time at this level.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Rooster wrote:Crazy thing was he should have emptied the bench at 60 mins as match was over anyway and it would have given the bench game time at this level.
Agreed. If he had taken some of the stalwarts off early in the 2nd half i doubt anyone would have criticised him, as we were going nowhere with them.

Ireland have won big games without Murray, Best and SOB so i don’t really see it as having been a huge risk. None of them were playing well anyway.

Murray, Sexton, SOB, Best and Kearney have all been automatic choices in the past but Joe should really call all of them in and tell them that they are really going to have to fight for their places now and he is going to give other guys real opportunities before the Scotland game and then pick on form. If they regain form or are the best then so be it, but I fear this may be like Woodward’s 2005 Lions tour where the old guard will be picked regardless of what happens between now and the world cup.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bart S wrote:
Rooster wrote:Crazy thing was he should have emptied the bench at 60 mins as match was over anyway and it would have given the bench game time at this level.
Agreed. If he had taken some of the stalwarts off early in the 2nd half i doubt anyone would have criticised him, as we were going nowhere with them.

Ireland have won big games without Murray, Best and SOB so i don’t really see it as having been a huge risk. None of them were playing well anyway.

Murray, Sexton, SOB, Best and Kearney have all been automatic choices in the past but Joe should really call all of them in and tell them that they are really going to have to fight for their places now and he is going to give other guys real opportunities before the Scotland game and then pick on form. If they regain form or are the best then so be it, but I fear this may be like Woodward’s 2005 Lions tour where the old guard will be picked regardless of what happens between now and the world cup.
Rory Best is in form. He's having a great season. Below him there are no international standard hookers.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Six Nations 18/19

Post by rumncoke »

Just had a rather in depth look at the match

And classify the ref as a homer of the first degree .

Tripping is a red card offence — not even a yellow didn’t ask for a review

First kicked penalty — Stockdale tackled by Williams plays the ball but Williams never released Stockdale and is in the way of Sexton joining the ruck .

Second kd penalty the scrum half lifted and delayed the pass

3rd the Welsh weren’t pushing straight in a scrum which was crooked before the ball was put in

The 4th before half time standing on the opposite side of the scrum the ref claimed SoB left the scrum before the ball
Was out -SoB left the scrum after the Welsh no 8 left the scrum.

Second half wasn’t much better
Penalised an Irish player held down on the wrong side immediately after he made the tackle - while the Welsh wing forward comes in at the side to move CJ

Seldom allowed play to continue after penalising the Irish and let play continue long after Welsh infringements — tells AWJ that before giving Ireland a penalty at least 3 off side offences had occurred next one would lead to a binning .

Reversed at least two of his own decisions on play backs which had not been asked for .

It’s bad enough going 7 points down, because your full back goes AWOL on the wing , after two minutes and then chase a game in the wet without having to play against 16 men and the crowd .

But he did give Ireland one bad call a penalty against Wales on a 5 metre scrum when Ireland were boring for the water in necks of the Welsh front row .

To some extent the referee could have influenced the Irish performance at the end of the first half you get an idea of the players frustration when you look at Best — Sexton and Ali S reaction to some of the calls made during the game , when a player is infringing he knows it and he knows the penalty and accepts normally frustration comes when you don’t consider your infringing and get penalised or when the opposition are infringing and don’t get penalised ( Sexton has a habit of over playing the latter ie looking for penalties )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist