Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster v Connacht, Sat May 4th 2019 17:35

Post by Amiga500 »

Tightheadsdoitbest wrote:Perhaps a Friday night game would have "allowed" a bigger attendance?
I know fellow culchies might find Fridays a pain in the balls from getting into town from a travel point of view - but I find a Saturday game inevitably makes a real balls of your day.

In winter, its using precious daylight and as the days lengthen, it somehow always ends up right in the middle of when your doing something.

If UR could guarantee every home game is on a Friday night - regardless of the competition - I think you might see improved ST takeup and improved attendances from that.
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

jackthelad wrote:
Dave wrote:WTT are summer sports?
Cricket
Tennis
GAA
Hill walking
Muff Diving Al Fresco.... :cheers:
Al who? :shock:
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

jackthelad wrote:
Cricket
Tennis
GAA
Hill walking
Road racing. Tandragee 100 is this Saturday.

That said, as regular attender for 17 years and season ticket holder for past 12 years, I'll not darken the doors nor give another penny to the ># IRFU after their treatment of Paddy and Stu
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

eeyore wrote:
jackthelad wrote:
Cricket
Tennis
GAA
Hill walking
Road racing. Tandragee 100 is this Saturday.

That said, as regular attender for 17 years and season ticket holder for past 12 years, I'll not darken the doors nor give another penny to the ># IRFU after their treatment of Paddy and Stu
Fairplay. I know you are not the only one but people seem to refuse to acknowledge this is even an issue.

Let's go back to pretending everyone is playing tennis.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Mustnt drink too much at Ravenhill on Saturday as its the Beer and Cider festival in Comber on Sunday.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Dave wrote:
eeyore wrote:That said, as regular attender for 17 years and season ticket holder for past 12 years, I'll not darken the doors nor give another penny to the ># IRFU after their treatment of Paddy and Stu
Fairplay. I know you are not the only one but people seem to refuse to acknowledge this is even an issue.
I have to admit, I'm surprised that quite a few on here are clear they have walked solely because of this. I wonder how far that is reflected in people outside UAFC.

I also wonder are there others coming at it from the other direction? [i.e. no longer go to Ravenhill as they mistakenly believe that its full of folks with no respect for wummin]
ovalballs
Novice

Post by ovalballs »

Certainly not the only one. Have been a season ticket holder for many years and just can't bring myself to going anymore. Stu and Paddy who were banished against the will of approx 22,000 supporters was the final issue but not the only one. The treatment of Ruan and the general treatment of Ulster, for example not being allowed injury cover for Marcell our marque player when injured for the majority of the first 2 years, retaining Kiss when he was well past his sell by date.
I had the choice of continuing to attend as if nothing really happened or withdrawing my support. I choose the latter as it was the only statement I could make. I love the team and players but will not just accept IRFU decisions and move on. Interesting that in the last year there seems to be greater movement from the IRFU to bring in more players and to support Ulster more. In my view this is as a result of the people who no longer attend and the diminished support.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:
eeyore wrote:That said, as regular attender for 17 years and season ticket holder for past 12 years, I'll not darken the doors nor give another penny to the ># IRFU after their treatment of Paddy and Stu
I have to admit, I'm surprised that quite a few on here are clear they have walked solely because of this. I wonder how far that is reflected in people outside UAFC.

I also wonder are there others coming at it from the other direction? [i.e. no longer go to Ravenhill as they mistakenly believe that its full of folks with no respect for wummin]
You are right in that there will have been an impact from people who see a toxic culture and not a place they want to take their kids or whatever. May be more occasional supporters but still add to the gates. These will be the kind of supporters the CEO will be trying to win back over time. I think all the factors raised will have some impact although difficult to quantify. Having a game smack bang in the middle of a holiday weekend doesn't help. Also not just an Ulster problem as euro semi in Coventry showed.

The fact that Ulster was able to fill the ground in mid Jan vs Racing shows the fanbase is still there but needs something to pull in the less regular fans.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Alister Scott wrote:
jackthelad wrote:
Cricket
Tennis
GAA
Hill walking
Al who? :shock:
Quinnie' lawn Sat @ 17:00. Dress optional. :shock:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Bart S wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:

You are right in that there will have been an impact from people who see a toxic culture and not a place they want to take their kids or whatever. May be more occasional supporters but still add to the gates. These will be the kind of supporters the CEO will be trying to win back over time. I think all the factors raised will have some impact although difficult to quantify. Having a game smack bang in the middle of a holiday weekend doesn't help. Also not just an Ulster problem as euro semi in Coventry showed.

The fact that Ulster was able to fill the ground in mid Jan vs Racing shows the fanbase is still there but needs something to pull in the less regular fans.
I’m not so sure that you’re right in your thoughts that a lot of the reasons for reduced numbers are down to the occasional supporters that are not coming in and why numbers are dropping. Yes they have an impact and let’s be honest a lot of businesses are finding “footfall” difficult at the moment so UR is not immune to this.

That being said I’m in the same position as Ovalballs. I had 2 season tickets for the past 10 years and for all the reasons outlined by Mr Balls, I’m out and won’t be back until I see change. I’ve stood on the terraces for 30 years, travelled across the UK, Ireland and Europe with UR but haven’t and won’t be back until there is change in Dublin, either through pressure from UR or from fans. I have no real voice and can only vote with my money or lack of. Two of my mates don’t go either so there is 4 season tickets down from last year alone.

Surely as a rugby man I am the type of person the CEO should be targeting rather than the occasional fan. But maybe they’re more easily persuaded/duped than me....
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Yeah who watches sport on a Saturday.....?

I am heartened to hear that the NI cricket scene is in such great shape though.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm scratching my head at the argument that folk are not attending because of the negative publicity from last year. Even the most offended guy on the forum is attending. It was a victory for him and other Loganites.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

There were lots of negative impacts on the Ulster brand last year. Lots of negative publicity. Results, coaches, CEO shambles and the trial.

All of these are bound to have had a negative impact on the Ulster brand which takes time to recover as it does with any brand, even if you "rectify" things.

Against a backdrop of falling attendances generally over recent times that presents a real challenge.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Pimpmac wrote:
Bart S wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:

I’m not so sure that you’re right in your thoughts that a lot of the reasons for reduced numbers are down to the occasional supporters that are not coming in and why numbers are dropping. Yes they have an impact and let’s be honest a lot of businesses are finding “footfall” difficult at the moment so UR is not immune to this.

That being said I’m in the same position as Ovalballs. I had 2 season tickets for the past 10 years and for all the reasons outlined by Mr Balls, I’m out and won’t be back until I see change. I’ve stood on the terraces for 30 years, travelled across the UK, Ireland and Europe with UR but haven’t and won’t be back until there is change in Dublin, either through pressure from UR or from fans. I have no real voice and can only vote with my money or lack of. Two of my mates don’t go either so there is 4 season tickets down from last year alone.

Surely as a rugby man I am the type of person the CEO should be targeting rather than the occasional fan. But maybe they’re more easily persuaded/duped than me....

I agree Ulster should be targeting you. I guess it depends on what would be required to get you back.and if that was deliverable within the wider strategy they are adopting.Same for people not attending for other reasons.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Pimpmac wrote:
Bart S wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
Dave wrote:

Given that the CEO who got rid of the lads has now departed, I wonder what you think the new CEO and UR need to do to persuade you to return?
Bo***cks to Brexit