Bill Johnston

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Bill Johnston

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote:
Do you see lowry facing the Saracens forwards ? ( and surviving 90 minutes )
Ffs I suppose he has to play 90 minutes because of his perceived height disability!

Just realised you've been passing comment on football in all of your posts. It all makes sense now.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Oh FFS..

What a clown.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

It does appear the Rumoracle, our all knowing football expert has mixed up his balls again.
That one should see the Mods brandishing at least a yellow card for its arsefoonery.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

George Ford (although a Lionel) is a fine player and has had a solid career to date. He is two inches taller than Lowry and a similar build (accepted Lowry needs a year or two in the gym). If Lowry turned out to be the same quality of player with a similarly successful career as Ford I’d be thrilled. That isn’t going to be prevented in any way whatsoever by two inches of height.

In addition, although Lowry conceded 2 inches in height to Ford, he is faster, better acceleration, better footwork, braver, better tackler. Of course Ford has other elements to his game where he is far superior, but in terms of raw attributes Lowry more than matches him.

This year was Lowry’s break through season. Next year is the season to get him game time at 10. If BJ signs, we wil have 3 excellent young IQ outhalves battling for the shirt. A great position to be in.
:red: SUFTUM :red:
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

thewaterboy wrote:George Ford (although a Lionel) is a fine player and has had a solid career to date. He is two inches taller than Lowry and a similar build (accepted Lowry needs a year or two in the gym). If Lowry turned out to be the same quality of player with a similarly successful career as Ford I’d be thrilled. That isn’t going to be prevented in any way whatsoever by two inches of height.

In addition, although Lowry conceded 2 inches in height to Ford, he is faster, better acceleration, better footwork, braver, better tackler. Of course Ford has other elements to his game where he is far superior, but in terms of raw attributes Lowry more than matches him.

This year was Lowry’s break through season. Next year is the season to get him game time at 10. If BJ signs, we wil have 3 excellent young IQ outhalves battling for the shirt. A great position to be in.
Wait, who is the third? Burns?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Callum Sheedy, Ihaia West two current out halves in both the English and French leagues similar height.

Diego Dominguez the little Italian general.

Aaron Smith 80 plus All Black caps, Fumiaki Tanaka Ex Highlanders, current Japan scrum half..... the list goes on and on.

Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi just made his All Blacks debut at 5ft 7

With the enforced and more stringent tackling laws it's going to become extremely difficult for the big men to tackle the little men.

Rugby has always been a game of mismatches that's what makes it so bloody great. The little man has the advantage over the big guy in the open, the big guy has the advantage over the little guy in the tight.

Lowrys height makes the squared root of no difference considering his talent.
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

therealspratt wrote:
thewaterboy wrote:George Ford (although a Lionel) is a fine player and has had a solid career to date. He is two inches taller than Lowry and a similar build (accepted Lowry needs a year or two in the gym). If Lowry turned out to be the same quality of player with a similarly successful career as Ford I’d be thrilled. That isn’t going to be prevented in any way whatsoever by two inches of height.

Wait, who is the third? Burns?
Yeah:

Burns - 24
BJ - 22
Lowry - 20

All fairly young in out half terms
:red: SUFTUM :red:
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Definitely think Lowry could do with a good off season of gym work, to add a bit of bulk. I suppose the parallel from NZ would be Damian McKenzie, tend to agree that a couple of inches of height here and there won't make a huge lot of difference. Ironically being short helps with tackling forwards when they run straight at you, it is more as a 2nd tackler that Lowry might have difficulties i.e. when the first tackler tackles low and the 2nd tackler is trying to prevent the off load. We shall see though, I'm no expert so happy to let it play out.
As for who will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice next year between Burns, BJ and Lowry it is going to be a very interesting because if Burns is 3rd choice and the oldest he will be offski. Burns has performed adequately this year and certainly put his body on the line, just not seeing star potential in him though.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Mrs Waterboy told me that an extra two inches made all the difference :lol:
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Bill Johnston

Post by rumncoke »

Still failed to identify what Lowry brings to the table to maximise the potential of those outside him .

In my honest opinion he is a miniature Carberry and my opinion of Carberry has yet to be proved groundless .

At this moment Carberry is missing in action due to injury as I predicted ,as a possiblity.

I went absent from this message board due to abuse I received pointing out Ian Humphries was as bigger liability than asset and Ulster would not win anything with him at out half .

The same people who sang the praises of Ian Humphries are in the forefront of the Lowry will be Brill.brigrade.

I don’t consider Lowry has the size and game for a professional out half to release the potential of those outside him .

Much as I disliked the way RoG played and considered he owed his success to the quality of those around him — he was actually a template for a professional out half , consistent, self assured competent but lacking the ability to make an idiot of those marking him .
( The latter could have been a reaction to the assault he suffered when playing for the Lions )ie he didn’t invite close attention .

And only time will can performance will prove or disprove my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rumncoke on Sat May 11, 2019 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote:Still failed to identify what Lowry brings to the table to maximise the potential of those outside him .

In my honest opinion he is a miniature Carberry and my opinion of Carberry has yet to be proved groundless .

At this moment Carberry is missing in action due to injury as I predicted as possible .

As a matter of interest how many times have you watched him play 10?

He has an old head on young shoulders.

Next year you will see, he’s a joy to watch at 10.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

How many times has he played 10 in professional Rugby .
School boy under age games are really no basis on which to make an assessment .
School boy rugby annually highlights some star .

If you want me to admit he has talents he has pace , nimble foot work sound hands and a speed of mind given all those talents and virtually a free role at full back in 16 appearances he has only scored one try .

The question is not what his talents are it is do those talents match the template and will
They maximise the backline?

Nobody has yet shown how his talents might improve the performance of the backline in both attack and defence if he plays 10 — remember Murphy’s Law and Murphy was an optimist .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

rumncoke wrote:Still failed to identify what Lowry brings to the table to maximise the potential of those outside him .
Ability
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote:
The question is not what his talents are it is do those talents match the template and will
They maximise the backline?

Nobody has yet shown how his talents might improve the performance of the backline in both attack and defence if he plays 10 — remember Murphy’s Law and Murphy was an optimist .

Who is arguing that point with you? Nobody!

You said he won't make it as he is too small. You've been completely blown out of the water on that point since.

Like any young player he has the potential, he has a high skill set, will he realise his potential. Time will tell!

Why does he have to play 90 minutes as you state above?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Guess who wrote:And only time will can performance will prove or disprove my opinion .

Last edited by guess who on Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:scratch:

Would hate to have tried to decipher the unedited original. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right