Bill Johnston

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Bill Johnston

Post by Tender »

rumncoke wrote:

I went absent from this message board due to abuse I received pointing out Ian Humphries was as bigger liability than asset and Ulster would not win anything with him at out half .

And only time will can performance will prove or disprove my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You absented yourself after embarrassing yourself. As you always do.

You are a self abuser.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

With regards to IH was right, a talented liability .The role of out half is not about individual talent . For example IH was a left handed player playing with a right handed back line , never mind the fact that the back row were ever conscious of the fact that one of the back line was a passenger in defence.

I am not comparing Lowry's defence to IH but believe he would be more akin to Paddy Wallace , yielding the gain line ,which if it occurs in the 10/12 channel ,means the forwards are trying to defend going backwards.

Of course all this has little to do with Bill Johnston , whose signing may indicate that the management have other plans for Lowry.

PJ was a reasonable out half but it took a summer absence from the under 20s, with Doak, to make him an out half of professional standard. Doak is no longer involved in Ulster.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

See this has been confirmed.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Nice piece of business.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Dave wrote:Nice piece of business.
I agree and certainly one who is worth taking a punt on, given current options at 10.

With Burns, BJ, Lowry and McPhillips Ulster will have better depth at 10 than they have had for quite a while, although whether the strength is there to match it remains to be seen.

Lowry is the intriguing one of course. Would like to hear some journo ask him where he sees Mike Lowry’s future playing position. The articles I read today mentioned BJ competing with Burns and McPhillips for the 10 shirt but not Lowry. In fairness they were not quoting Dan when doing that.

I’d like to see Lowry and BJ also get a crack at the 10 jersey next season.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The thing about playing 10 you have to play to a script especially off set pieces and certain predetermined phases and field positions .

Hastings played that sort of game well on Friday night .

Lowry may not be best used if his talents are restricted to play within a preset script that is the essence of professional rugby .

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Bart S wrote:
Dave wrote:Nice piece of business.
I agree and certainly one who is worth taking a punt on, given current options at 10.

With Burns, BJ, Lowry and McPhillips Ulster will have better depth at 10 than they have had for quite a while, although whether the strength is there to match it remains to be seen.

Lowry is the intriguing one of course. Would like to hear some journo ask him where he sees Mike Lowry’s future playing position. The articles I read today mentioned BJ competing with Burns and McPhillips for the 10 shirt but not Lowry. In fairness they were not quoting Dan when doing that.

I’d like to see Lowry and BJ also get a crack at the 10 jersey next season.
Mcphilips to Connaught.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

kingofthehill wrote: Mcphilips to Connaught.
Would he even be third in the pecking order?
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Good signing - BJ was the next big thing (after JJ * wry smile emoji *), made his debut for Munster in a pre-season game aged 18 as I recall, very solid for that great U-20 side. Nobody seems to be able to say why they haven't given him any time this year - good opportunity for him to come up here, tbh he should be aiming to take the starting 10 berth..

McP to Connacht is interesting, he's actually not a dissimilar player to Carty, skilful, good feet, error-prone! They don't really have a nailed-on back-up 10, so hopefully it works out for him
..one more thing
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

McPhillips to Connacht would make a lot of sense for him if there really is much to him, staying with Ulster not so much. Johnson is a definite tradeup if he can stay fit.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

Columbo wrote:Good signing - BJ was the next big thing (after JJ * wry smile emoji *), made his debut for Munster in a pre-season game aged 18 as I recall, very solid for that great U-20 side. Nobody seems to be able to say why they haven't given him any time this year - good opportunity for him to come up here, tbh he should be aiming to take the starting 10 berth..

McP to Connacht is interesting, he's actually not a dissimilar player to Carty, skilful, good feet, error-prone! They don't really have a nailed-on back-up 10, so hopefully it works out for him
Carty ain't error prone anymore, if anything you could say he's been the best outhalf in Ireland this season really though he hasn't quite faced as stern tests as Sexton or Byrne.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

Sue Dename wrote:
Dharper wrote:McPhillips I believe is coming to the end of a 2yr deal, I am unaware of a new deal, and he has hardly played this season. This may be a replacement, rather than any reflection of Lowry. ML is clearly a 10, but any first team exposure at this point is great development for him.
McPhillips is gone at the end of the season.
They also have the nod to bring in an IQ scrum half as back up to Cooney.
Any further word on this alleged IQ scrum half? Was it just approval to look for one or is there someone lined up?
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Isn’t this all just the IRFUCKS rearranging their pool of players?
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

That or McPhillips realises he'll never make it at Ulster. IRFU and Nucifora's policies are starting to pay off for us.
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

Johnston is being assigned to Hinch to replace McPhilips. I’m sure he will be thrilled to be applying his trade in 1A