Schools Cup 2019/20

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Schools Cup 2019/20

Post by Neill_M »

I see they are trying a new format for the Schools Cup next season. Details below:

https://www.ulsterrugby.com/2019/05/new ... hools-cup/

Competing Schools have been allocated into 4 Tiers, according to the needs of participants, with the Tiers to be reviewed annually. The tiered groupings for the 2019/20 pilot are as follows:

Tier 1: Ballymena Academy, Campbell College Belfast, Methodist College Belfast, RBAI, RS Armagh, Wallace HS

Tier 2: Ballyclare High, Bangor Grammar, Belfast Royal Academy, Coleraine Grammar, Dalriada School, Down High School, Enniskillen Royal GS, Friends’ School, Omagh Academy, Rainey Endowed, Royal School Dungannon, Sullivan Upper

Tier 3: Banbridge Academy, Belfast High School, Cambridge House GS, Dromore High, Foyle College, Grosvenor Grammar, Larne Grammar, Limavady Grammar, Lurgan College, Portadown College, Regent House, Strabane Academy

Tier 4: Antrim Grammar, Carrickfergus Grammar, Wellington College

Tier 4 teams will opt out of the Schools’ Cup Group Stages, and will participate in a separate structure.

2019/20 Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ Cup

Group Stages

Tier 2 and Tier 3 teams will compete in group stage games pre-Christmas, in 6 groups of 4. The draw for the 6 groups will take place on Tuesday 14th May 2019 at a meeting of the Ulster Branch Schools Committee. Group stage games will take place on three weekends (19th October 2019, 16th November 2019, 7th December 2019).

Knockout Stages

The top 10 teams (6 winners and 4 best placed runners-up) from the group stages will qualify for the knockout stages of the Schools’ Cup and Subsidiary Shield, where they will be joined by the Tier 1 teams. The remaining teams will then enter into knockout competition for the Schools’ Trophy and Schools’ Bowl.

Schools’ Cup Knockout Stages Dates:

Last 16: Saturday 8th February 2020
Quarter-Finals: Saturday 22nd February 2020
Semi-Finals: Tuesday 3rd March & Wednesday 4th March 2020 (Subject to confirmation)
Final: Tuesday 17th March 2020

Any strong opinions either way on the new format?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Schools Cup 2019/20

Post by kingofthehill »

Should go back to a proper cup competition, everyone thrown in from round 1.

4 games wins it now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
EastTerraceUR
Novice

Post by EastTerraceUR »

No group draw today?

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Group A: Rainey, Friends, Dromore, Limavady
Group B: Bangor, Down High, Regent, Foyle
Group C: Ballyclare, Omagh, Cambridge House, Lurgan
Group D: Sullivan, Dalriada, Grosvenor, Strabane
Group E: Belfast Royal Academy, Coleraine, Belfast HS, Banbridge
Group F: Enniskillen, Dungannon, Portadown, Larne
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Anybody know why they're doing this? Like so many other sports competitions, just seems to be getting more complicated. Is it all about keeping weaker teams from getting a hiding?

Also, from the list there doesn't seem to be much progress in getting more non-grammar or more maintained schools playing rugby.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

kingofthehill wrote:Should go back to a proper cup competition, everyone thrown in from round 1.

4 games wins it now ImageImage

5 games won it before. Tbh it's not much more competitive than the Scottish Premiership.In tbis litigious age, would probably be criminal negligence to let the 33rd ranked skool go head to head with the top schools in an open draw.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

big mervyn wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Should go back to a proper cup competition, everyone thrown in from round 1.

5 games won it before. Tbh it's not much more competitive than the Scottish Premiership.In tbis litigious age, would probably be criminal negligence to let the 33rd ranked skool go head to head with the top schools in an open draw.
I remember the schools cup starting early January now the 4th round is nearly the end of February.

Do you think the gap has opened more than what it was 15years ago?

The King is dead. Long live the King.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

kingofthehill wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

I remember the schools cup starting early January now the 4th round is nearly the end of February.

Tbh I don't really know King. Probably more than it was when I was at school 40 odd years ago (and it was substantial then!) but I do think that there should be more competitive rugby in schools. 50% of school 1st XVs only playing 2 competitive games per season isn't great.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Tbh I don't really know King. Probably more than it was when I was at school 40 odd years ago (and it was substantial then!) but I do think that there should be more competitive rugby in schools. 50% of school 1st XVs only playing 2 competitive games per season isn't great.
Time for a local schools league? Two, maybe three relatively small divisions to avoid mismatches. Do such leagues exist elsewhere?
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

That is exactly what this is - 6 groups of 4 play out for seeding and a trophy.

No point in playing 15th v 2nd. Big score does no one any good.
ormondlad
Novice

Post by ormondlad »

Great that smaller/weaker schools get more games in the cup and something more meaningful to aim for within the cup and still have bowl to play for.
First step towards introducing a league like whats in place for a lot of schools in the other provinces.
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

ormondlad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:43 pm Great that smaller/weaker schools get more games in the cup and something more meaningful to aim for within the cup and still have bowl to play for.
First step towards introducing a league like whats in place for a lot of schools in the other provinces.
Agreed.
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

Anyone any thoughts on teams that should do well this year?

I'm reckoning Wallace HS are clear favourites followed by CCB and BA. MCB and RBAI will be competitive but not good enough.

Wallace have something like 7 Ulster schools players across the u18/u19 age groups Inc x3 Irish Schools players.
Knows nothing
Novice

Post by Knows nothing »

RSA bound to be in the mix given their upper sixth won the medallion shield in their year.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Danske Bank Schools' Cup last 16 draw

Ballyclare HS v Friends' School Lisburn
Royal School Armagh v Campbell College
Bangor GS v Wallace HS
Grosvenor GS v Enniskillen Royal GS
RBAI v BRA
Cambridge House v Methodist College
Down HS v Ballymena Academy