UBL 2018/19

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

UR13IRFU
Novice

Re: UBL 2018/19

Post by UR13IRFU »

So looks like we will be making a return to the dreaded 1A unless we choke on Saturday. Mary’s still challenging for a playoff spot so maybe not such a formality.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

UR13IRFU wrote:So looks like we will be making a return to the dreaded 1A unless we choke on Saturday. Mary’s still challenging for a playoff spot so maybe not such a formality.
class Image might try to get down for that one

I’d kind of missed this, hadn’t been paying much attention recently, it’s been a pretty crazy league, lose a couple of games and suddenly you can go from 2nd to 8th!

How many play-off spots, is it just the one? Looks like Malone are out of luck unless Wesley and Naas both lose at home.. and Ballymena toast..
..one more thing
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UR13IRFU wrote:So looks like we will be making a return to the dreaded 1A unless we choke on Saturday. Mary’s still challenging for a playoff spot so maybe not such a formality.
Hinch into 1A would not fill me with confidence, they beat Armagh on Saturday but their seconds went down 66 nil which does not show a lot of depth in the squad, to be fair Armagh seconds are not far off the level of their firsts but that is a horrific score for a side with ambitions of 1A.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Columbo wrote:

I’d kind of missed this, hadn’t been paying much attention recently, it’s been a pretty crazy league, lose a couple of games and suddenly you can go from 2nd to 8th!

How many play-off spots, is it just the one? Looks like Malone are out of luck unless Wesley and Naas both lose at home.. and Ballymena toast..
As things stand:

Division 1B Promotion Play-Offs - 20th April 2019

Div 1A club placed 9th v Div 1B club placed 4th

Terenure v Malone

Div 1B club placed 2nd v Div 1B club placed 3rd

Old Wesley v Naas

Final - 27th April 2019

https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/i ... 8-2019.pdf
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

Don’t know what happened to are 2nds on sat, normally been beating teams pretty easy, very very young side. If we do go up or for that matter any other side that goes up, will prob get hammered most games in 1A next season. I would imagine that Ulster will once again flood r team with academy and squad players again if we go back up. Need a very big cheque book aswell to compete with Con, landsdowne and Clontarf!
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Neill_M wrote:
Columbo wrote:

As things stand:

Division 1B Promotion Play-Offs - 20th April 2019

Div 1A club placed 9th v Div 1B club placed 4th

Terenure v Malone

Div 1B club placed 2nd v Div 1B club placed 3rd

Old Wesley v Naas

Final - 27th April 2019

https://d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net/i ... 8-2019.pdf
Thanks for that Image and actually looking at the fixtures, that’s likely how it will finish, so Malone in the mix as well which is good to see.
..one more thing
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Other playoff scenarios involving Ulster sides:

1B/2A

9th 1B Buccaneers v 4th 2A Queens
2nd 2A Cashel v 3rd 2A Navan

2A/2B

9th 2A Blackrock v 4th 2B Sligo
2nd 2B Greystones v 3rd 2B Rainey

Omagh may get 4th in 2C and face a game in Galway v 9th in 2B Corinthians. Dungannon and Belfast Harlequins also may end up 9th in 2B.

Bangor currently 9th in 2C and may face the winner of Instonians/Clonmel from Round Robin.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UR13IRFU wrote:Don’t know what happened to are 2nds on sat, normally been beating teams pretty easy, very very young side. If we do go up or for that matter any other side that goes up, will prob get hammered most games in 1A next season. I would imagine that Ulster will once again flood r team with academy and squad players again if we go back up. Need a very big cheque book aswell to compete with Con, landsdowne and Clontarf!
That Armagh side won 9 out of 9 in league and to be fair would probably give any AIL 2A side a run for their money.
Agree with the comment that whoever goes up will come back down, hard to know if there is any benefit to clubs or players to go up to 1A
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

ROD ripping it up again. Is he the top try scorer in 1B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

He done a great snipe at the base of the ruck, but been doing it all season. Ross Adair has been the best player in that league by a mile. Don’t know if an Ulster contract has past him by as I think he’s burnt a few bridges with a lot of championship clubs
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

UR13IRFU wrote:He done a great snipe at the base of the ruck, but been doing it all season. Ross Adair has been the best player in that league by a mile. Don’t know if an Ulster contract has past him by as I think he’s burnt a few bridges with a lot of championship clubs
ROD set up two scores as well.
Adair is quality but think your right,burnt a few bridges.

Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Good game and well done Hinch

Also good to see O’Hagan and Busby back fit and playing. Someone was saying on Saturday that ROD would be on Ulster’s books next season - presumably an academy contract?
..one more thing
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Columbo wrote:Good game and well done Hinch Image

Also good to see O’Hagan and Busby back fit and playing. Someone was saying on Saturday that ROD would be on Ulster’s books next season - presumably an academy contract?
Would love that to be the case but I have my doubts that’s correct.

UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

Both the Rea bothers being assigned to Hinch along with Clive Ross. We r losing Milligan to Malone. Banbridge getting the Ballymena 10
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Couple of interesting implications there, mostly that all the eggs are being put in the Hinch basket. I don't think they'll stay up no matter what they do, while it's good for Hinch to get those top players I feel sorry for Ballymena who have already lost McBurney and may struggle to rebuild. Is Kernohan on your books or with QUB?

Another implication is that Banbridge are in need of a 10... is their current out half not going to be widely available? :stir: